Search results

1. R

What causes a woofer to make a buzzing sound?

And now, for a comment that's completely useless: What causes a woofer to make a buzzing sound? - Various substances. Splash it with cold water and send it to rehab. But seriously, I've found that a loose screw can cause a heck of a racket. Kids like sticking marbles or crayons into...
  2. R

What are Leaks good for?

Regular leaks keep your bladder from bursting.
  3. R

You picked a witty handle. I like it. -Richard

You picked a witty handle. I like it. -Richard
  4. R

Dual subs: a lesson for all critical listeners

I understand that two identical subs is ideal. But what about two diffferent subs? I tried it once but one sub seemed to dominate the other. Anybody out there tried both ways? Would anyone say that two subs are better than one in spite of being different?
  5. R

Hey! I love your avatar. I would like to steal it to use on another forum. How do I do it...

Hey! I love your avatar. I would like to steal it to use on another forum. How do I do it? Can you send me the gif. address? Is that all I need? A great big slobbery Thank You in advance. -Richard
  6. R

"What's the Best?" threads kill me.

You disappoint me John, I would have expected a bright young man like yourself to grok my post rather than to jump on the sabre-hubbed misconstrual "bandchariot." You are all taking yourselves, and me, far too seriously. And yes, I have noticed that frustration causes a proportional...
  7. R

No, not at all. I'm talking about the guy who is asking which amp to go with the CD player. The best amp to go with these speakers. The best speakers to match a particular pre-amp. And so on... ...As if all possible permutations of equipment has been tried by an elusive "someone" who...
  8. R

"But, but, what about the children?" he pules. It's like a big-bellied sheriff at a predatorily situated speed trap who has the nerve to write "The People" versus defendant's name here. So the "hundreds of people" must be a wilfully dimwitted lot in order to deliberately misconstrue my...
  9. R

One dancing banana and it's off-with-my-head? So tell me, Newbie, what's your story? Did you flunk out of ballet school?
  10. R

Cheap Lazy Victory

My big JBLs were sometimes disappointing to listen to. They have a good/decent front end on them. So I looked more closely at the room. It's about 13' x 20' both short ends have windows, one long end is brick(garage added later to house) the other is drywall with wood paneling. I'm really...
  11. R

Perhaps it's petty of me, but why are there so many of us audio zombies so concerned about matching certain components to another? Almost all of my audio purchases have been made by recognizing value in a cost-conscious manner. You know, "WOW! I'd better snap this up before it's gone." Then...
  12. R

Are these the best speakers ever made?

There was a bar on Okinawa that featured a pair of Scepter Tens by Onkyo. They were my dream speakers for many years. Never did see a pair again.
  13. R

Hey Geespot!!!!!!

Cool post. But some of us fossils have been around even longer. This site had been up about a year when there was some kind of huge server crash or something. I didn't re-register until I had something to say instead of just lurking, so my membership date wasn't until Oct or Nov.
  14. R

Rack Recommendations?

Whatsa matter you? Wood planks and concrete blocks not good enough anymore?:D But seriously, I've been waiting years for one of those pro, glass-faced, caster-wheeled equipment racks to show up at a sacrificially low price. Until then I continue to get by on a three-shelved stainless...
  15. R

What to look for in vintage speaker found at thrift stores.

Finally, someone mentions the "knuckle" test. This is an old standby that many seem to overlook. I only comment on it to reinforce its importance. Good speakers have "dead" sound when knuckled. Poor speakers sound musical like a drum.
  16. R

Sub woofers for music listening--heresy or justified supplement?

Well, I've been mocked for this before, but I use my sub to augment my full range mains. The sub operates below 71 hz and is additive to the mains rather than taking those frequencies on by itself. I suppose I have a tin ear but utilizing a sub most always sounds better to me, adding a...
  17. R

Have you noticed?

I saw a reprint of a booklet originally from the early audio days, 50s or early 60s, where the object was to build a low octave bass unit. They called them Superwoofers. While sub-woofer sounds more technically accurate, I think it may be a relatively new term.
  18. R

Here's How to Have More Fun in Bed!

ACK! The model looks a lot like the Progressive Insurance woman.
  19. R

Mcintosh C-28 outputs?

The center output is L+R blended to make a "center fill." It would go to a separate amp to power a center speaker. Don't confuse this with home theater. Sensitivity level is controlled by a pot on the top of the amp. Mine doesn't work. I've also read that this circuit is often disabled when...
  20. R

Well this sux!

Sorry, but I was laughing so hard I didn't have time for sympathy. You should write more.
  21. R

Finally caught the little....critter!!!

Have any of y'all tried those sticky traps? I don't understand why people consider those "humane" because you can't get the mouse off of it without breaking bones and tearing skin. If you just leave them on the trap they die slowly of thirst and exhaustion. As long as you don't kill them...
  22. R

The suspense is killing me... on the verge of a BIG scroe?

Maybe he got "scroed" and is ashamed to tell us about it.
  23. R

Seeking Last Word on 24/7 Power ups

I know we've hashed this out before but the issue is really biting me on the ass. The faction supporting Power On at all times except for extended absences; vacations, weekends etc. became my standard. I have two ARC D-100B power amps. I had them both freshly serviced when they arrived...
  24. R

Help identifying these odd Craigslist speakers...

I can't tell if they are a matched pair or not, if so they're worth 50 bucks easy. Lotte is one of the better speaker brands offered in the Korean audio scene. They'd be outstanding as a second system for a bedroom or den.
Back
Top Bottom