Search results

1. Spalls

Hi Arthur: Dave Williams (Spalls) here from a quite a long time ago. I wanted to let you know...

Hi Arthur: Dave Williams (Spalls) here from a quite a long time ago. I wanted to let you know that I have my AR SP-3A-1 pre-amp back at the factory in Minnesota for a 50-year (!) checkup. They came back with a To-do list and NOTHING on the list had to do with the power supply repairs that you...
  2. Spalls

Your Favorite DUAL 'Belt-Drive' Turntable

I had a 510 for about three years back in the day that gave me absolutely no problems and provided many hours of satisfactory performance. I ended up sending it and all of my other gear to my brother-in-law when I was forced to downsize after graduating from college. Very nice deck for the...
  3. Spalls

Show us your first turntable. Mine is a Dual 1010S

My first REAL turntable was a Technics SL-23, the basic belt-drive manual unit of the time (1977). This was a very, very nice turntable. The SL-23, along with George Benson’s Breezin’ LP, a Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp, and a pair of Radio Shack speakers that I inherited from my soon to be...
  4. Spalls

What "Audio Related" item were you GIFTED?

Sixteen years ago my wife had gone back to Philadelphia to help my in-laws pack before moving out of their home of 43 years to a smaller space in a senior living facility. My wife called one day to let me know that my father-in-law said that I could have his audio gear (which had been given to...
  5. Spalls

Classic High-End Gear

I have been absent from AK for quite some time, and would just like to express my appreciation for all of the posts and the expertise and civility of AK members. I would also like to second the very early mentions of the AR SP-3A-1 pre-amp and the Technics SP-10 turntable. My AR just amazes me...
  6. Spalls

Speakerlab S7s Rebuild and Modding (Ribbon Tweeter Model)

James: I am so glad to see that this thread is still going strong and that there are still some current and former Pacific Northwesterners with the Speakerlab fever. I have not been active here for quite a while (working way, way too much), but in the little spare time that I have, I have been...
  7. Spalls

Hi John: Thank you SO much for posting the schematic of your Speakerlab S30 crossover so many...

Hi John: Thank you SO much for posting the schematic of your Speakerlab S30 crossover so many years ago. I am diagnosing a bug or two in one of mine and it has been a big, big help. Dave
  8. Spalls

comprehensive list for the DIY's

Thank you!
  9. Spalls

Speakerlab 3s-the force was with me today.

With patience you can remove the drivers easily without damaging the baffle, even though the drivers have been attached with silicone calk. Having done this many, many times, and with the help of some AK members who have done the same, I suggest that you get a paint can lid removal tool, a box...
  10. Spalls

Speakerlab 3s-the force was with me today.

You got these for $12!!!!! That is one sweet score! I have a couple of pairs of the 4s but prefer the DT110 tweeter of the 3s, although if you are in the mood a tweeter update would do you well. Hopefully these just have a re-coned W1208R as Nerdorama mentioned, as the originals are hard to...
  11. Spalls

IMF International TLS 80's new owner!! Restoration to begin !

Athanasios: Thank you for posting your progress. You are very ambitious to do all of this and obviously have very good eyesight! I suspect that you will enjoy these quite a bit when you get them up and running. I was very fortunate to get a pair with drivers in good condition. Recapping the...
  12. Spalls

Roy F. Allison: 1927-2016

Thank you, ARHPG.
  13. Spalls

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Just wrapped up a very nice episode of The Brandenburg Concertos. My son, John, gave me a beautiful set as a late Christmas present. A very nice recording from Paris and London, recorded in 2009, on the Soli Deo Gloria label of the English Baroque Soloists. I recommend it.
  14. Spalls

Speakerlab S30 lift

Several months ago I recall a comment from member Paul C. about getting our Speakerlab S30s up from the floor for better response. Today I spiked some 11-inch tall MDF boxes that I had lying around and put the S30s, also spiked, atop and spent the evening listening to the 2013 Eric Clapton...
  15. Spalls

Speakerlab questions and opinions

Josh: For what it's worth, I have both the alnico and ceramic W1208R woofers in otherwise identical pairs of the 4s (I rebuilt the crossovers with the same components) and I cannot hear a difference. To be fair, lots of variables here including the age of the drivers (unknown) and the age of...
  16. Spalls

Glad to hear that things are working out for you. Order problems can be very frustrating, especially when you feel that you are not getting the straight story.
  17. Spalls

Speakerlab 50 rebuild

I would encourage you to explore 300 wpc for your 50s. I power my 30s with a Crown XLS-1500 and They Sound Great :thmbsp:
  18. Spalls

James: Just out of curiosity, are you consistently listening to the same music as you troubleshoot, or listening to a wide variety of sources?
  19. Spalls

Dimentions of EPI 100 cabinets

I agree with Gordon W.'s recommendation to build them with a larger enclosure. I did this a few years ago with a 1.6 cubic foot enclosure and mirror imaged the removable baffles. The low end extension was much improved. I must admit that I could not really distinguish any difference related...
  20. Spalls

It never really stops does it? Nope! :yes: Thank goodness.
  21. Spalls

Very nicely done! Thanks for keeping us in the loop :yes:
  22. Spalls

James I noticed an error on your board. Would it not be appropriate to write the wire attachment points auf Deutsch...
  23. Spalls

After this, I will never post any photos of my crossover re-builds. James, you are ruining this for the laymen :sigh:
  24. Spalls

Wow! Not only will you have sweet crossover enclosures, your caps will be cradled!
Back
Top Bottom