Search results

1. reyneman

Friggin' playback problems

After having to do without for the last several years, decided I was going to to fire up my big system tonight and spin some records. Got the table all nice and level- had to use a 24" level, as I couldn't find my smaller one right off. Hmm, where is that digital tracking force gage? After aa...
  2. reyneman

Acoustic Panels

Set a stereo out in my new room, basically empty, 23' x 27' x 8'. Even with a carpeted floor, the echo has to be heard to be believed:sigh: Picked up some rigid fiberglass panels, 9 3# for the echo and 2 6# for corners. Heading to the fabric store this weekend for some batting and covering...
  3. reyneman

Earbuds and you

I saw the review on the Yuin PKs, but quite frankly I really dislike the fit (or lack there of) of the earbuds that came with my Sansa. Don't get me wrong- they sound pretty good IF I sit there and hold them in place with a finger. Makes it a bit hard to type though... What types of...
  4. reyneman

Some of my best CDs

are copies I've made from vinyl, running through the USB port to bypass my cheap soundcard. Put it on the harddrive in 24/96, downconvert to the CD-R. Don't know why, get better dynamic range (must be the compression used on prerecorded CDs, as I know they should have better dynamic range...
  5. reyneman

20 on 20

OK, it's time to out myself. Oh, some of you had glimpses, had your doubts (Army, toze), but I'm putting it on the line. What's with this 'Todays Classical' crap? That's way yesterday. And that twang stuff that no one else has ever heard? Yeah, for a long time the only 'modern' music...
  6. reyneman

Gnarles Barkley

Hey, with a name like that....
  7. reyneman

Oh No! Another MP3 Player thread...

Would like some inputs here please. I read the MP3 thread, but am looking for distilled inputs on player selection. Most of the online mags (esp. CNET) are high on the iPods, and after playing around with one I must admit that the user interface is about the best. I'm looking for a...
  8. reyneman

OK, it's not vinyl, but...

Work has taken me away from home during the week, and I needed portable tunage and a small system. Living in a small apartment, feel like I'm back in college (OK- that's a lie. I have an unshared bathroom, no roomie eating my munchies, and that special aroma isn't permeating everything :yes: )...
  9. reyneman

Almost as good as the ON?OFF Switch

Yesterday decided to listen to my main rig, hadn't had it on for several weeks. Picked a few records, turned on the equipment, and...NOTHING :eek: Has a delayed start, noticed that the output indicator never became active on my amp. Pulled out the rack, checked all the connections, checked...
  10. reyneman

Japanese Knives

Last year I went on a search for kitchen knives and the internet led me in many dircetions. Although I had started out looking at some traditional German knives, it seemed that many chefs were migrating towards Japanese styles. I didn't want a set- in the past I've found many of the included...
  11. reyneman

Women at the Fest

I was pleasantly surprised at the increased number of SOs that attended this year's Fest. No way my wife would go. Now, I understand that they may only have been there to keep an eye on the husbands, but many seemed to be smiling :yes: Just want to extend my thanks and appreciation...
  12. reyneman

Biggest shock at the Fest

Canadians mating!!! In front of everybody!!! Was a beautiful pairing :yes: No, not Bigmac :no: I had brought a small system to set up in my hotel room so I could have some tunes during down time- just a t-amp, XMRadio and Axiom M3ti's. Blue Circle came up a speaker short, so I offered...
  13. reyneman

Pigeon Pot Pie

OK, I've removed the .177 cal pellets and aged the birds for just over a week now. My question- can I just substitute pigeon for chicken and follow my same recipe as for chicken pot pie? Any concerns doing this? Was going to share this with toze, but he is sooo sensitive he left Pittsburgh...
  14. reyneman

Rockingest boys?

Which of the Boy Bands do you think rock out the most? My pick would be Boyz II Men. I mean, check it- the kewl play on the name, plus they're not afraid to express their sensitive side in their songs (bet they get lucky more often than me) (of course, that's not really saying much) even...
  15. reyneman

NE1 ever hear of Krell?

Local GW has a pair of them, but wanted too much money ($100), offered $20 each, they said OK, but they were too heavy and I asked for my money back. They were model 450FX or something like that. Also, there was only one input and no selector switch? I think the GW is trying to get one...
  16. reyneman

Dogg Digital "Rocket"

Finally, a place for me to post about my favs. The Dogg Rocket lives up to its name, giving a somewhat uptilted response. I really don't think it's because of the cheap tweet, rather it is the lack of bass/mids that allow the digital style highs to really shine. In fact, the aluminum foiled...
  17. reyneman

Bumblebees can't fly and audio myths

No engineer actually said this. Instead, this myth arose from the determination that a simplistic mathematical representation was inadequate to explain the complex interactions of the flight of a bumblebee. Similar, IMHO, to how many would have you believe that a few simplistic measurements...
  18. reyneman

Links for a sticky

Many entering (or reentering) the turntable world have a common problem- few local shops have technicians that perform the mechanical setup required for our preferred equipment. I want to have a sticky with links to some basic information on turntable setup and alignment. I have several links...
  19. reyneman

Blue Circle CS Integrated Amp

The day couldn’t have been better- Pete came by the house, loaded down with refreshments and a heavy little box. After listening to a few tunes and swapping audio lies, Pete left for home, leaving me with the box and refreshments. :thmbsp: In the box was Blue Circle’s smallest integrated...
  20. reyneman

ZebraCables speaker cables

I have had the opportunity to try a pair of ZebraCables’ fine 12 AWG single run speaker cables over the last few weeks and would like to post some of my impressions. The ZebraCables web site has all their products, along with full specifications for each. Use their link here at AK and take a...
  21. reyneman

Blue Circle in da house

Just got the Blue Circle CS integrated hooked up yesterday :yes: Now, I plan on giving this puppy a bit of a workout, none of this classical jazzy stuff here :no: Gonna pump up the volume, play some real tunes (you know- the tunes normal people may actually listen to) and give it a...
  22. reyneman

Visit from piece-it pete

Piece-it pete came by the house to drop off one amp and pick up another. Of course, I forced him to listen to St. James’ Infirmary while he was here. A couple of observations from my end: 1. I thought his avatar was Alfred E. Sorry Pete- didn’t know it was a self portrait, won’t mention it...
  23. reyneman

Mark Knopfler- Ragpicker's Dream revisited

ARTIST: Mark Knopfler TITLE: The Ragpicker's Dream RELEASED: 2002 LABEL: Warner Bros GENRE: Roots? rock I find myself dividing music into two categories- what I want to listen to at this time, and what I don't want to hear right now. Genre doesn't matter to me much. I...
  24. reyneman

Support AK- Painlessly

As our membership grows, so does our monthly costs, and we need your support. Now I thought we could make some special offers, such as ‘For $XX donation, you will receive a poorly made Beta tape of an off the air broadcast’, but it seems that Kam actually LIKES his Betas- go figure! :loser...
  25. reyneman

Steak and Sprouts

This is one of my favorite dishes :yes: Prepare the steak of your choice in the manner you prefer. While it's cooking, take your sprouts, clean off any discolored leaves, x cut the bottoms, boil till tender. Place in an ovenproof pan, cover with a mixture of your favorite seasonings and...
Back
Top Bottom