Search results

1. milanomike

Hafler DH 101 Phono Issue

My DH 101 is acting up. Life as good after recapping, installing the Updatemydynaco RCA jacks and Deoxit on all pots/switches. The thing played/sounded great, very quiet overall. On phono, it will plays/sounds great, then after 20, 30 or 40 minutes, one channel (right) just drops out (as...
  2. milanomike

AR 'The Turntable' Sudden Hum in Left Channel

OK, I've had this table a long time with the Sumiko (Jelco) MMT arm. I have rotated 3 cartridges each on their own headshell (Signet TK7, Ortofon 2M Blue & Nagaoka MP110) over the past couple of years. Unit plays and sounds great, never had any hum or any that was noticeable. But.... A hum...
  3. milanomike

Hafler DH 110 Muting FET's - Simple Question

I recapped my old Hafler DH 110 early this year and it's been great until now. For info, I replaced all the electrolytics and resoldered the RCA jacks. The jacks are ugly, but resoldering seemed to do the trick, replacing them looked like a huge pain. I did not replace the muting circuit...
  4. milanomike

Need Capacitors for Fiddling with Cartridge Loading

I want to make some Y connectors to adjust capacitance loading for my cartridges. My Hafler DH 110 has provision for this but as Hafler notes in the manual: "Some fastiduous users prefer to solder the compesation capacitors in place...." And, thats what my unit had, and after resoldering the...
  5. milanomike

Headshell Compatibility for my Sumiko MMT

OK, I thought that the Sumiko MMT are (and Jelco) took standard headshells. You know 4 pins at the end to mate to the 4 pins in the arm with the knob to tighten it up to the arm. I ordered an Audio Technica headshell and it won't go in the Sumiko, it seems a tick longer, but would think it...
  6. milanomike

My Hafler DH 101, AT VM540 stylus & Capacitance Loading

This has been discussed many times, but this is an area I profess no real knowledge. Could use some help. I replaced a worn Signet TK7LC stylus with the AT VM540M on my Signet. It is an improvement over the worn stylus, but I noted the highs seem pretty muted. I chalked it up to hearing not...
  7. milanomike

Low Sound from Midrange Driver

I've been chasing this issue with only a bit of success. The longer story is in the Lansing Legacy forum, but I think this particular issue could benefit from a broader audience. I have a pair of JBL L88 + 12 (L100's) where 1 of the midrange drivers has significantly lower volume coming from...
  8. milanomike

L88 Plus 12 - L-Pads?

I inherited a pair of these from an uncle some years back with some other bits. Searching tells me these are basically the L100's. My uncle, known for not spending money, must have got the whole enchilada at once as they look "factory" to me. See photo. My Dad was a big JBL fan and I...
  9. milanomike

Low ESR Capacitor Question

Been planning a refresh of my Hafler DH 110. This started because the RCA input jacks are giving me trouble, but got stalled on project..... Both the line & phono sections specify low ESR electrolytic caps for some of the caps. Google has not cleared this up exactly for me, so I'm back at AK...
  10. milanomike

Hafler DH 110 Issue and Questions

OK, moving onto my DH 110 as it has a problem with the input jacks, especially phono. This 110 is all original, circa 1982. 1. Main issue: phono will simply drop out in left channel, touching the interconnect makes it come and go (my DH 101 did same thing). Sometimes won't come back. I...
  11. milanomike

DH 101 Refurbish & a Question

Thanks to Covid I have successfully refurb'd my DH 200 and DH 500 with help from you guys. They sound really good, very pleased. So, it seemed logical to tackle the DH 101 next with my DH110 in the wings. Reading threads on AK, it seemed straightforward, so I recapped the unit. Only like 16...
  12. milanomike

AR, The Turntable, Sumiko MMT and Cartridge

OK, I've had the subject table, arm and Signet cartridge for some time. I'm in need of a new stylus for the Signet and Audio Technica says the new VM series fit. Looks like there are 3 candidates here. VMN20EB - bonded stylus, .3 x .7 mils VMN30EN - nude stylus, .3 x .7 mils VMN40ML -...
  13. milanomike

Elac 50 Headshell Issue

I scored a nice 50H some time back. Plan was to get it going and give to my daughter. The mechanism was stuck, but a clean and relube fixed it right up. The idler wheel was good, gave is some of that rubber restore liquid. Cleaned the bearing also, the table spins nice and quiet and at the...
  14. milanomike

Hafler DH 500 Refresh and Offset Issue

Shout out to Skywatcher, Dogwon and others for helping me with my DH 200, i've been putting it thru the paces and it sounds really good. So, my used DH 500, early version with PC 10 boards (no offset pot). I have the schematic and layout from somewhere (attached) but can only find the manual...
  15. milanomike

Turn On Hafler Amp After Sitting for 3 Years?

I'm sure this has been covered, but i can't find it. Plenty of info on tube amps. My Hafler DH 200 has been inactive for 3 years as I've been using a DH 500. I want to use the 200, while I do some work on the 500. So.... Should I get a variac and slowly power up, use a dim bulb tester, just...
  16. milanomike

2230 Power Supply Rebuild - Diode Question

OK, I successfully got this unit to make music and not smoke thanks to the great help here. For info - http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/2230-p400-board-mislabeled-need-help.813236/#post-11400319 I have moved on to the power supply and figured a new short thread was appropriate...
  17. milanomike

2230 - P400 Board Mislabeled - Need Help?

On my 2230, I believe a transistor has gone out creating ugly noise thru the left channel. This is on the P400 board. So, I've decided to replace all 8 transistors (and caps once I verify it works), but I am not savvy enough to sort thru and determine equivalent replacements. I've read tons...
  18. milanomike

Marantz 2230 Preamp Left Channel Out; Amp if OK

OK, I've had this issue for a while, let I it sit while I tried to educate myself a bit. Unit plays fine when using a separate preamp and the 2230 amplifier section. No noise, no hum, great music. So, I concluded the amp section is OK. When using preamp thru the 2230 amp or a separate amp...
  19. milanomike

DH 500 Switch and .005 Disc Capacitor

I'm back with the DH 500 I got a year or so back. Resolved an issue, but knew I'd have to do some more work First issue is the power switch. It is a CW Industries GRL-2011, guessing it is not the original switch. Note: unit works fine right now and I desire is to keep it working! I'm no...
  20. milanomike

Thorens TD 145 MkII

OK, I have a new stylus on my Stanton 681EEE, picked one following a thread here on these cartridges. I've got it set up and tracking at 1.5 gms. Overall sounds real nice, but I'm thinking i'd like to raise the vertical tracking angle a half a tick to get a bit more high end. Maybe my ears...
  21. milanomike

My KEF 104.2's

OK, I followed great write-ups by Leesonic, Baco99 and Canuckaudiog and refreshed my 104.2's. I installed new donuts and cleaned and put in new ferrofluid in the tweeters. My tweeters are original and work fine, guess I was lucky. Wow is all I can say, I forgot how nice these are. Had been...
  22. milanomike

Confused on Hook Up Wire

This should be easy, but maybe I'm overthinking it. I've got a Hafler DH 500 that I need to do some re-wire work on. I've got it playing and the hum is gone, but the chassis wire is ugly, want to fix. The unit uses 18 and 22 ga, thinking I just use 18, though 16 was recommended. A couple of...
  23. milanomike

Hafler DH 500 Relay and Disconnected Wire

First problem I need corrected: I've had this DH 500 for 6 or so months and it seemed to develop a hum all of a sudden, more in one channel, but definitely present in the other. So, today I pulled the cover and find a green wire disconnected from the relay, photo shows it well. The green...
  24. milanomike

Hafler DH 500 - Wow This Bad Boy has Punch

Scored this bad boy the other day. Hooked up and playing some Boz Scaggs right now. Seems to be a low usage unit. Got it on eBay which I would normally not do, but it was local enough that I was able to go pick it up. Price was reasonable. Man this thing rocks, can't wait to get my KEF's...
  25. milanomike

Dynaco 400

I've got a chance to buy a Dynaco 400 for what I think is a decent price. I know these vintage bad boys crank out real power. So of course, I'm overthinking this, I started to think the Hafler 500 amps are cheap also and of course newer. Starting to think the Hafler, should I find one at...
Back
Top Bottom