Search results

1. HokieVT

Mixing 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers

I have a 2009 Acura RDX with 2 bad speakers. I am replacing one of the fronts but the speakers are cheap. Really Acura? I was debating replacing the rears, one of which is bad, with after market speakers. But the Acura speakers are 2 ohm and any speaker i buy will most likely be 4 Ohm. I don't...
  2. HokieVT

Bad woofer in a JBL L-50

I was refoaming a pair of JBL 127H woofers. The first one went fine. The second one worried me because the cone "rattled", as if it was loose. I fired up the speakers and the "rattler" had screwed up sound. This is a project for my daughter, the art major, who likes the JBL's strictly for the...
  3. HokieVT

Dead KG-4

I have a KG-4 that will not respond at all. Does it have an internal fuse?
  4. HokieVT

So I just bought my first LCD. Now what?

I already have the home theater setup. I was using a Magnavox 36" tube but we pulled the trigger on a Vizio 37" which was the only size that would fit in the entertainment center. 1080p and we had a discount coupon. I have the cable running from the cable box to the VCR to the TV. Should I use...
  5. HokieVT

Fixing a frosen turntable

I have a Sansui PL-30 that rarely works. The platter will not turn. I finally took off the bottom (after removing the platter, sprayed Deox on every contact and the motor. Imagine my surprise when it worked. I also blew out a Sony CDP-50 CD player and it started working again. Good day for me.
  6. HokieVT

KG-4's...not your ordinary speaker

A friend gave me a pair of KG-4's. I hooked them up to the Nikko NR-800 in the garage. They were made for jazz and classical. They were also made to go about a foot from a wall, not a foot from a wheelbarrow. Moving them a foot from the wall produced a massive difference in sound because of the...
  7. HokieVT

JBL L50 need surrounds with pics

A friend was going to get rid of these and I've always wanted to do a Surround job. So, do I test them before I order the surrounds? How hard is this job?
  8. HokieVT

Nikko NR-800 & Sansui score for the garage

The Nikko NR-800 was $25 on Craigslist (starving student). I need to clean it. The Sansui P-D30 turntable was free. The guy said it didn't work. I got it to work by putting a part back in place. The Sansui DA-S85OU speakers were $20 on Craigslist. They are cheap rack system speakers as best I...
  9. HokieVT

P-D30 turntable with strange behavior

Someone gave me a ton of electronics to take to my Boy Scout troop to take apart. One of the items was this turntable. I plugged it in, hit the buttons and it spins for about a minute. Then it slows to a stop. I suspect it is direct-drive. Is it a power issue? If it doesn't quit the behavior...
  10. HokieVT

Found. Sansui DA-S85OU speakers

Found on CraigsList for $20. One woofer cone is pushed in on one speaker. I bought them for the garage system. No front panels. I suspect they are from a rack system. I mated them with my Sherwood receiver and my relic BSR CD player. The turntable moves out there later. Turntables combined...
  11. HokieVT

Using a receiver to power a subwoofer

I have an extra Yammie R30 lying about the house. Could it be used to power a subwoofer? I assume I would need two woofers or blank load on the output I am not using.
  12. HokieVT

Altec speakers

Is there a site for Altec speakers? There is a pair of Altec speaker at the church bazaar.They are 886A's. Surrounds look good. It's a dual woofer, single tweeter design. Perhaps two 8" woofers.
  13. HokieVT

Sherwood RX-4030R

I have this receiver and I can't get any good hits on google. Was this a short run on these things? It was a Circuit City buy in the early 90's I think. The owners manual has disappeared. Anyone know anything about it?
Back
Top Bottom