Search results

1. sealy

Are There Speakers That Play All Genres Well?

No, I don't think so. I have several different pairs of speakers that are very good with certain kinds of music, but not one that is good at every type of music.
  2. sealy

What makes a "great" speaker?

Strictly subjective. I may hate what you like and vice versa.
  3. sealy

I have all the best speakers...

I haven't listened to any other speakers than the foam panels I built several weeks ago. The price to build them both was about 60 dollars. I use a very small(0.3 cubic ft) home-built sub to fill out the low bass. The clarity is startling, so clear my that conventional speakers sound a bit...
  4. sealy

Isobaric Subwoofer fail

The ones that I ordered are 8 in. 4 ohm woofers. Huge magnets and treated paper cones that have lots of excursion ability. They are meant for a ported box of about 1 cu. ft or less. They can be put in a sealed box but they would need a lot of power as they are fairly inefficient. They do not...
  5. sealy

Isobaric Subwoofer fail

I should have checked the X-max of the 8 in. speakers I was using. The woofers seemed to have a lot of travel, but as it turned out the front mounted woofer couldn't take the stress. It let out a loud "whap," and I immediately cranked down the volume. Up 'til then the bass was phenomenal...
  6. sealy

Yamaha A-500 I want to use my 4 ohms speaker question ?

I'm using an A-500 to power a 4 ohm passive sub. It works just fine. I think the A-500 puts out around 100 or so watts with a 4 ohm load.
  7. sealy

Foam panel speakers

At first I was dubious about the idea of attaching a one inch diameter exciter to the back of a one inch thick 3 ft. x 2 ft panel of extruded polystyrene foam. I certainly didn't expect much. Man was I wrong! The sound emitted was so clear and accurate that I was floored. I ordered three more...
  8. sealy

RFT speakers: Made in GDR(German Democratic Republic)

Lol! I thought the Trabant was made out of pressed paper.
  9. sealy

Yes, I must admit they have a sort of industrial look. However the sound is very good, especially with jazz music. Very smooth and clear. At least the components are easy to get at. And the led light on the front is a good idea. I'm guessing it comes on when the speaker is driven too hard?
  10. sealy

Must try sub $1500 vintage speakers?

Didn't realize that you could get the Cornwalls so cheap; or the La Scalas. Are they as efficient as the Klipschorns?
  11. sealy

Must try sub $1500 vintage speakers?

And despite owning a pair of Ohm F's in the past, I have always lusted after a pair of Ohm I's. However, the I's demand a high power output from the amp - minimum 100 watts and up, I gather.
  12. sealy

Indeed! I posted a photo twice and it disappeared. I shall try once more.
  13. sealy

I found these speakers in a thrift store. I've never seen a stand mount speaker like this. It must be fairly old because it was made when the Berlin Wall was still dividing East Germany and the German Democratic Republic. It is a very interesting design. The cabinets are made of some kind of...
  14. sealy

I found these speakers in a thrift store. I've never seen a stand mount speaker like this. It must be fairly old because it was made when the Berlin Wall was still dividing East Germany and the German Democratic Republic. It is a very interesting design. The cabinets are made of some kind of...
  15. sealy

New to me Blue Burhoes

16. sealy

Burhoe Acoustics Green

My Burhoe Blues have the 1.5 mid/tweeter and the 1.1 tweeter which goes up to 26,000 hz, not that anyone could hear it. The crossover from the woofer to the 1.5 is 1000 hz and to the 1.1 the crossover point is 2000hz. Those are startlingly low figures for what are essentially large tweeters...
  17. sealy

Cheapskates: What do you use for speaker stands?

Cinder blocks for sure. If you got a pair if 50 pound so-called stand mount speakers you need heavy stands. I think the concrete blocks couple them better to the floor. My towers weigh 85 pounds. I anchor them with with a piece of 1 in. thick mdf three feet square. I also make my own stands...
  18. sealy

Removing some or all fiber stuffing from a sealed speaker.

These replies are enough for me to leave the speakers stuffed as they already are. I thought as much, but just wanted to check here to make sure.
  19. sealy

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.
  20. sealy

I read on another site that stuffing the cabinets with wool or fiberglass can constrict the drivers. I wonder if that's true? Opinions on this statement?
  21. sealy

ESS PS-1220 worth restoring?

If you are planning on selling them, you'd have to get them back into original condition, which will cost you a lot of money. I rarely sell anything I restore. If I were you and you plan to keep them, I would change out the AMTs for more modern versions that have the same characteristics but...
  22. sealy

Only A Fool Would Recap Vintage Speakers...Right?

Call me stupid but I've done that for 20 years. I just recapped my Reynold towers and they sound fabulous. After comparing different caps, I find that Solen caps seemed the brightest. Dayton poly caps are very good.
  23. sealy

Looking for information on some Tannoy Speakers

Nice find. Don't know what you paid for them, but they went for $13,000 on Canuck Audio Mart. Yikes!
  24. sealy

Vintage Speaker Identity

I believe those are very old B & 0 full range speakers. Most probably 2 drivers in each cabinet and the drivers are likely anywhere from 4-6 inch inches in diameter. I sold a similar pair to a Japanese audio enthusiast who planned to drive them with a three watt tube amp. The mid range in...
  25. sealy

Clements Speakers blown ribbon tweeter.

$150 apiece.
Back
Top Bottom