Search results

1. SaSi

To replace or to not replace working motor-run capacitors.

When I finally serviced my PR-99, before replacing these, the motors were a bit weak in FF/REW and also tended to get warm, not really hot. After replacing them I noticed a significant difference in the torque of the reel motors and their temperature. The capacitors looked - and still look -...
  2. SaSi

Permission to paint Dual 1219 bread-box?

Another option could be to use Hydrogen Peroxide (an oxidizer) to the wood and un-stain it. It typically whitens the wood. It can be applied in several passes, using a brush, and it will gradually open up the color, going to almost white wood look. This is also reversible - just use a stain...
  3. SaSi

analog vs digital

I know this discussion will go on forever and we won't get a consensus. I just wanted to put some more fuel to the burner. I have been listening a lot of music over streaming over the past few months. Workload and habits didn't allow me time to "listen properly" so it was digital only for a few...
  4. SaSi

California Proposes to Force Manufacturers to Restrict Vehicle Top Speed to 10 MPH Over Limit.

So, you see, "rules", in the general form, like speed limits, laws and restrictions don't apply to people that we actually make them for. "Law abiding" people will obey the rules, but not because it's a law, but because they undestand the reasoning behind them. So, imho, the best way to "get...
  5. SaSi

California Proposes to Force Manufacturers to Restrict Vehicle Top Speed to 10 MPH Over Limit.

I do agree that unsafe speed kills. But in my 30+ years of driving, I've seen plenty of idiots driving unsafely at speeds below the speed limit. Not necessarily very slow, but erratic, for lack of a better word. I would like to see governments invest more in education of people. Not teach them...
  6. SaSi

Storing Records In Order

If "the" remained in the sorting order then most of the content would be under "T". The problem is keeping them in order. And once you collect all the content for a starting letter, say "S", does Sting go before Stranglers? And do you sort LPs of an artist/group in the order they were released...
  7. SaSi

Amp upgrade for KEF Speakers

You can get decent performance from a 50W amplifier but you will probably need more than 100W to get what they can deliver. They are rated as 40-200W as amplifier requirement, but you can safely use an even higher powered amplifier, say 300W, for more headroom. If 100W is what fits in your...
  8. SaSi

Tweeter inductor gauge/DCR?

I am not aware of the crossover schematic, but in general, I understand that the increased R in parallel with the inductor reduces the Q spreading the resonance pole wider. That effect can be noticeable.
  9. SaSi

Which is a superior open reel 1/4" player: Sony or TEAC?

I think you must compare specific models for the comparison to make sense.
  10. SaSi

Tweeter inductor gauge/DCR?

How about trying it? That's the fun!
  11. SaSi

All cassette decks are equal

To put this in another way, with a slice of humor, "all decks are equal, however, some, are more equal than others". :)
  12. SaSi

Rogers LS3 /5A not sound right- HELP

If you can push the cone and it moves, then it implies that the woofer isn't getting any signal from the crossover. So, an investigation on the crossover is needed to identify a broken trace or a component failing.
  13. SaSi

If the B110 cone doesn't move, in a way you can clearly see it vibrate, it's not working. What happens if you gently push the cone of the B110 inwards? It should easily move. If not, it implies the voice coil is mangled in the magnet gap. Can explain the sound you are hearing.
  14. SaSi

Does the mid/woofer produce any sound? If you touch the cone with your finger, does it "kick"? Can you provide some more information about what kind of sound output the loudspeaker produces?
  15. SaSi

Hi, I've never worked on a DTC790 but on many similar ones. The post is "Servicing a SONY DAT...

Hi, I've never worked on a DTC790 but on many similar ones. The post is "Servicing a SONY DAT machine (Pictorial)"
  16. SaSi

Dog "Shock" collars

A working dog (a shepherd dog) confined in a yard with an electric fence is a spring loaded and loaded for years. It appears you did a good job to release this anxiety so let's assume you are dealing with a normal dog, without fears and restraints. Recall is a difficult exercise, especially...
  17. SaSi

What's the difference between amps with 2 transistors vs 4 transistors

I'm sure you are counting the transistors all the way back to the input stage. :) Low power amplifiers can have two output transistors (one NPN and one PNP) per channel. Cascading two transistors in series in the output reduces the effect of the load to the VAS and improves stability. Adding...
  18. SaSi

HDD or SSD?

Is there a particular reason for wanting a single drive? Like, does your system only allow space for a single drive or has a single channel to connect a drive? If you can hook up two drives, bear in mind that SSDs are tiny and don't really need a storage bay. You can simply leave them dangling...
  19. SaSi

Vevor ultrasonic lp cleaner

One point about the thermostat and temperature reading. First of all, don't really trust that reading as it's not calibrated. And even if it were, there's a thermal gradient in the water volume and at places (e.g. close to the transducers) the temperature can get much higher. It's a good idea to...
  20. SaSi

Technics sl1400 Mk2 tonearm swap

I re-read the description and highlighted a part. Can be different cables, close to the tonearm. Can't recall off memory what cables run close to the tonearm on that TT. IIRC, nothing really does, except perhaps some ground. Now, if a tech working for them messed up, they need to come clean...
  21. SaSi

Technics sl1400 Mk2 tonearm swap

No, it doesn't make any sense. Worst thing that was done was to cut the tonearm wires too short to then solder them to the junction plate. You can either patch a small length of wire to them or take the opportunity to rewire the tonearm with higher quality wires. (although some have used...
  22. SaSi

SL-1300 cueing lever issue

Most likely the silicon oil has evaporated due to age. If your TT is an original SL-1300, it takes a bit of disassembly to take out the lifter rod, clean it and relube it. There is a specific service bulletin with instructions on how to do this over at vinyl engine.
  23. SaSi

What are your favorite KEF speakers?

I loved my R105 until I finished restoring a pair of R107 and they became the speakers of the main system. In the right room (i.e. with the right acoustic treatment), the R107 can shake the room easily, given an amplifier with several hundred of watts. But I equally enjoy a pair of Carlton...
  24. SaSi

"No Point" getting higher end MM if you can properly run MC as well

I voted yes, however I feel I need to qualify my answer. Let me start by saying I was a "MC cart snob" years ago, when I was young and could not afford one. Until I, accidentally, got hold of one with an Ortofon step up transformer. I also don't have any experience with exotic carts, like in...
  25. SaSi

Magnetic trasistors in vintage hifi

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a "magnetic transistor"?
Back
Top Bottom