Search results

1. SaSi

Albums where all tracks are worth listening

I got this idea from a recent discussion. How about posting albums you have listened to, care to listen again and you like each and every track on them? I'm sure there are plenty of them, but also guess they account for about 10% of "production". I'll start with a couple of easy ones: Jean...
  2. SaSi

Windows 10 DPC Watchodg Violation

I have an irritating issue on my home computer that can't seem to understand. First, I'd like to say that I'm computer literate and know my way around windows problems, but this one seems to hard for me. The computer is based on a 2015 X99 Gigabyte motherboard with 5th gen 5820K i7, with 32GB...
  3. SaSi

Looking for a speaker repair part

I need to find a couple of parts to repair 4 KEF B110 drivers. The parts I need are the "connectors" for the speaker wire that are mounted on the stamped basket. They are crimped-on but with an isolating washer and the wires from the voice coil as well as the speaker cables are soldered on them...
  4. SaSi

First week experience with a PHEV

Well, after 21 years of owning my current car, an Audi S3, I went and got myself a new one. Influenced by family and friends, I opted for a PHEV rather than a 4WD petrol engine, so my new car is an Audi Q3 TFSIe plug in hybrid. It's a brand new car and sold as a premium one, so of course...
  5. SaSi

Plug in Hybrid EVs - Do they make sense?

OK, I'm finally in the market for a new car. And of course, I started looking at EV and PHEV variants. I checked various makes and models and having an affinity for the audi brand, I will focus on my choices there. I compared the A3 and Q3 models, that have very similar petrol and PHEV...
  6. SaSi

Source for TO-3 heatsinks

Can anyone provide a pointer for a source of audio use heatsinks? My searches bring up all kinds of CPU and LED heatsinks and the ones I can find have evenly spaced fins throughout. I am looking for the ones that have space in the center to place TO-3 transistors and fins on both sides (or...
  7. SaSi

Live voltage on the coffee maker housing

I would like some hints from anyone understanding electrical appliances and leak relays better than me, please. I just received a new coffee maker. My trusty old Krupps started to leak after 30 or so years, and I don't like leaks of any sort. I looked for a decent brand and opted for a German...
  8. SaSi

Virtual Sheet Music

I didn't know this existed. Stumbled upon it on YouTube while searching for this concerto. The music score is shown as "subtitles" with even a "cursor" tagging along. Might be irrelevant for many but having studied music for a few years, violin, it gives a different experience of listening to...
  9. SaSi

Measuring THD - the influence of the tone generator's distortion

As I understand the operation of the typical distortion analyzer, it feeds a selected frequency to the DUT, then gets back the output, takes it through a steep notch filter to remove the tone and then measures the residual against the main frequency. The difference is then displayed either or...
  10. SaSi

Multiple output transistors?

Not sure if this is the right forum but being a solid state question, I took my chances... For a power amplifier design, what would be better? A. One complementary pair of output transistors B. 3-4 or more pairs. I'm not considering ultra high power amplifiers that really need at least two...
  11. SaSi

Home cinema system - 4K TV or projector?

I'd like to be able to watch movies in the listening room. I currently have a 1440p projector that is ageing but functional and have watched movies, TV series, even VHS tapes on the wall. I don't have a projection screen, just fixed the color balance to correct for the slightly off white color...
  12. SaSi

Flying to nowhere

I suppose we are all aware of the impact the pandemic has had to airlines. Flights have dropped by 90% on average and many air carriers struggle. I noticed the following article about Quantas (and others) setting up flights that go nowhere. You get in, you fly, you eat airline meals and return...
  13. SaSi

Elementary question about power switch and fuse

Suppose you put together a basic power supply. Let's concentrate on the primary. You have the AC inlet socket, a fuse holder, a power switch and the transformer primary winding. Would you place the fuse before the switch or after the switch? In other words, option A: AC inlet, fuse, on/off...
  14. SaSi

Fixing a CPU water cooler

Last night I had a failure on my main PC. It started going slow to a halt, programs that would load in a split second took several seconds to start and I could see windows being drawn as black surfaces that then got content. Looking at task manager, showed that CPU clock was 0.2GHz instead of...
  15. SaSi

Shopping for a soldering station

For decades I have been content with a simple un-adjustable soldering iron. Can't say it doesn't do the job well but I find it having two specific limitations: 1. I need to unplug it when done with soldering, even if the break will only last 10-15 minutes and I forget. 2. I find on occasion I...
  16. SaSi

Headroom. My latest revelation

I have always wanted to be able to enjoy music from loudspeakers at realistic levels and with a full body in frequency response. As always, that full body was tricky to achieve for the 20-200Hz range, due to the loudpeakers not being able to go low enough and the room not properly configured to...
  17. SaSi

A problem that shouldn't happen with a Technics SU-V6X...

I just had a crazy strange problem with my computer sound system. I have a Technics SU-V6 integrated and to that I have connected my PC as Tape-1, a cassette deck as Tape-2 and a turntable. I turned on the amplifier to watch some YouTube and there was no sound. I raised the volume and heard...
  18. SaSi

Talk about SPAM

That is some funny stuff. My payment is approved by the United Nations AND the White House, no less. (Thanks guys...). And it's official, with Reference No, Allocation No, Password No (sic), even Telex and Secret Confirmation No. And the "highly placed" official signs at the end of this as "13th...
  19. SaSi

About IASA

Not sure how I stumbled across IASA - "International Assosiation of Sound and Audiovisual Archives" but found some interesting material and information on their web site iasa-web.org Their journal, going back to the type written days of 1971 and their technical pumplications about media...
  20. SaSi

Looking for a circuit for a non single ended Class A amplifier

I'm trying to understand a bit about class A amplifiers and can't seem to find any kind of circuit that is non-single ended with a single output transistor biased at about half the Vcc. I'm looking for a symetric V+/V- powered circuit using symetric (?) output transistors biased in class A...
  21. SaSi

The story behind the song...

Haven't seen it discussed before. It's a YouTube channel with short video interviews with artists talking about the songs. Really nice stories and interviews. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGKyMnysQu0riPsQ_UyDjLw/videos?view=0&sort=dd&flow=grid
  22. SaSi

"Recent developments in Archeophony"

If you are interested in the roots of recording sound and music, have a look at this presentation. Really good stuff...
  23. SaSi

Sealed Lead Zinc batteries - restoration?

I had a stack of Yuasa NP7-12 sealed lead zinc batteries originally used in a ups that failed. They were almost new when the UPS died beyond repair and I just left them on a shelf. I wanted to use some of these for another UPS and I found they were all depleted and would not charge with the...
  24. SaSi

Do you like nixie tubes?

It's an old video but I just stumbled across it. It's a walk-through a small scale production of nixie tubes. If you like to watch how interesting things are made, you will enjoy it:
Back
Top Bottom