Search results

1. slipstream55

Currently available Filter Caps for SPEC 2/ADCOM GFA-555(555II)

I am wanting to order filter caps to restore my SPEC 2 and ADCOM GFA-555/GFA-555II power amps. A number of the United Chemi Com parts are reaching end-of-life status with the manufacturer. I have looked up the following parts on Mouser based on posts in DIY Forum and here at AudioKarma...
  2. slipstream55

Chassis Hole Plug Question

Hi, all. I am working on a home amp build and the chassis I am using has a 1/2" fuse holder hole ("D" shape) I need to plug up. I have tried a 1/2" plastic hole plug but because of the "D" shape (not a perfect circle), it does not work. Does anyone know if "D" shaped hole plugs are available or...
  3. slipstream55

Technics SL-M1/M110HE Stylus Replacement

Hello AK on a cold, rainy Gilbert Az night. I have a near mint Technics SL-M1 (straight-arm) turntable with a Shure M110HE cartridge. I am the original owner (purchased in 1983) and the turntable had fairly constant use until the advent of compact discs in 1987. The turntable and cartridge have...
  4. slipstream55

Shelf Life of some common cleaning supplies

I am curious as to the potential shelf life of some of the common cleaning chemicals we use for switch/contact and chassis cleaning. I have just gone thru a couple of tubs of cleaning supplies I know to be older than a few years old (some even as old as 9 or ten years). Everything was stored...
  5. slipstream55

Dynaco Restoration and Upgrades question

Good Morning, forum. I have some questions regarding Dynaco upgrades available on the internet. Back in the day, my first real stereo was a Dynaco PAT 4, a Dynaco ST-120, a Heathkit AJ-1510A FM Tuner, a Garrard Zero 100 turntable and a pair of EPI 150 speakers. The Dynaco and Heathkit...
  6. slipstream55

RT-909 Head Wear and Reel Table Rubber Questions

Hello, everyone. I pulled my RT-909 (restore to do) out of the box yesterday to take some pictures of the head block and reel tables. I can find no or little discernible wear on any of the heads. Maybe your eyes are better than mine. Pix included. Also, Are there replacement rubber pads for...
  7. slipstream55

SPEC 2 Restoration - How do I dis-assemble?

This question goes out to all of you who have completed a SPEC 2 restoration. I have the top, bottom and front panels removed. I am sending the top and bottom panels out for paint. I would like to include both side panels for paint also but I am trying to figure out how to remove them without...
  8. slipstream55

Protective component sleeving for Pioneer restorations

Hi, everybody. I've been trying to source the protective sleeving that Pioneer installed over board-mounted resistors and wiring on many of their receivers and amplifiers. I ordered some fiber glass sleeving from McMaster-Carr but that turned out to be a $25 wasted effort. Their catalog...
  9. slipstream55

SPEC 2 Zener Diode Info

Hello, Forum. I'm trying to find some data on the following Zener Diodes for the SPEC 2: WZ061 WZ100 WZ150 WZ157 I'm getting conflicting information on my internet searches. Example - WZ100 comes up as a Z100 at 100V or an NTE equivalent for the WZ100 at 10V. Rather not use NTE. I would sure...
  10. slipstream55

SPEC 2 Filter Cap Purchase Source

Happy Monday all. I am getting ready to revive a SPEC 2 rebuild/restore project that has been on my To Do shelf since 2005. This project has been off again/on again for awhile now with company travel/home honey-do's/ health issues and work schedules being the primary excuses for not completing...
  11. slipstream55

Archives access

I don't see any way to access the Audiokarma thread Archives. Did they go away? Thanks in advance for any responses.
  12. slipstream55

ADCOM GFA-555 DC Offset Stupid question

Hi, group. I have an Adcom GFA-555 that has developed distortion in the left channel. First I thought it was the speaker (Polk SDA-1C) but swapping the amp for a receiver verified the speaker was OK. My question...can the DC offset on the Adcom amp be checked without hooking the pre-amp to...
  13. slipstream55

Yamaha CDX-1030 belt question

It's time to fix this guy. Does anyone know the dimension information for the drive belt that opens/closes the CD tray and possibly a source for said belt? I'm also surprised that the service manual has not shown up in the AK document database yet. I can't be the only AK member that owns...
  14. slipstream55

JVC XL-M600BK Help Needed

Hi, all. I'm new to this section of the forum. I just picked up a JVC XL-M600BK multi-disc changer from a local DAV. It is in pretty good physical shape and did not come with it's remote or manual. Most of the functions work as far as I've been able to check (powers on, display segments...
  15. slipstream55

Yamaha CDX-1030 service manual

Happy football day, all. I wasn't sure if this post belongs here or in the Tape forum. I figured I'd get more exposure here. I have a Yamaha CDX-1030 that needs some servicing on the transport drawer. I have looked for a service manual for this deck on the AK forums and elsewhere and am...
  16. slipstream55

Yamaha CDX-1030 Belt Source

Hi, all. This is my first post in Vintage SS. I have a Yamaha CDX-1030 that has a sluggish transport drawer. I understand it probably needs the belt replaced. Is there a prefered source for these belts? I have found TigerDirect.com as one possibility but am not familiar with them. Any...
  17. slipstream55

Tascam 32 Capstan Belt Change

Hello, everybody. I have a Tascam 32 I completed doing a minor restoration on a little over a year ago. That project went on hold. Now its back on. I had Terry Witt do the capstan wheel and now I am ready to change the capstan belt. I have the service manual but it isn't very clear on how...
  18. slipstream55

Reel 2 Reel tape: Best way to erase

Hi, all. I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death. I recently purchased some used but in excellent condition 10" maxell reel 2 reel tapes. What is the best/recommended method for erasing the contents of the tape so that they can be re-recorded on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
  19. slipstream55

SPEC 2 Reed Relay Question

Happy Saturday, all. I am needing to replace the reed relays (RL2) on my SPEC 2 driver boards due to rust and questionable operation. The part number is ASR-005-C. This part is used on the TX-9500 as well. There are reed relays on the SX-1050 and SX-1250 tuner boards. The part number is...
  20. slipstream55

Pioneer TX-9500 Switch Question

Happy Saturday, everyone. I just recveived a Pioneer TX-9500 from that auction site. I have not had time to power it on yet but a quick visual inspection leads me to believe that it is in vitually flawless physical condition with the exception of two very light scuff marks on the top, back of...
  21. slipstream55

Akai GX-636 Monitor Switch..going, going, gone?

I have an Akai GX-636 R-2-R in need of some cosmetic TLC and a "monitor" switch. The "monitor" switch fails to latch when pushed in once in a while and I suspect it has the same issue as some of the Pioneer SG series push switches. I don't have the service manual for the 636 but I do have one...
  22. slipstream55

RF or Audio Signal Generator Recommendations

Happy Labor Day, all. I am putting my work bench together (finally). I have the following pieces of test equipment: Tektronix 475A (w/probes) Fluke 8024B multimeter (digital) Micronta 22-203U multimeter (analog) Dim Bulb tester Octopus oscilloscope test adapter (active transistor and...
  23. slipstream55

Tektronix 475A score on CL

Greetings, all. This is the first time I have posted in DIY. I recently scored a Tektronix 475A from CL in support of my Pioneer SPEC-2 restoration project. The seller and I did a brief power up/functional test before the sale with the following results: 1. Good crisp traces on both...
  24. slipstream55

Maxell 10" Reel Disassembly

Greetings, all. I have accumulated a number of Maxell 10" reel tapes over the last few years. Some of the reels need to be cleaned. I have only had any luck removing the three screws on one reel. Two others I have tried I cannot finish taking apart. The screws get buggered up badly. Maxell reel...
  25. slipstream55

Questions regarding my SX-880 restoration (sort of)

Hi, all. I had a couple of questions indirectly related to my SX-880 restoration. I just bought a can of Caig Faderlube from a local Guitar Center. The can says Deoxit FaderLube F5 but th package it came in says Hosa MCL5S-H6 Cailube. What really bothers me is the sticker on the can that says...
Back
Top Bottom