Search results

1. G

Recapping Crossovers...Can you rebuild Electro Voice X-8 and X-36? Should you?

Great idea and execution! I built a set of these because I wanted new X8/X36's for my Aristocrats, and these are BEAUTIFUL. Yes I have them where they are visible. Great idea. A bit of woodworking required but the results were well worth it, sonically and visually.
  2. G

Jim Kyle's 1961 "Sweet Sixteen" speaker system

Anybody have a copy of the Popular (Mechanics, Science) article?
  3. G

Help with 1959 Zenith SF185r.

Luke: I'm local and if you want some help, PM me. Giles
  4. G

1950's University corner speakers

They look like Aristocrat kit builts with a University Diffusaxial coax (Model 312). I bought a single one of these a decade ago: I was browsing at the local stereo store where they had one set up in the middle of the floor playing Frank Sinatra in mono. I tried to ignore it but it sounded so...
  5. G

EV Aristocrat with SP12 coax

I started with SP12s and T35's with a simple high pass capacitor for crossover and the sound was fabulous. Later added EV horns with an X8 crossover but not sure it was a big improvement. I have to turn the horns down real low or they sound real honky. They are wonderful speakers that...
  6. G

Got a Bell 2200 to play with...

The schematic for the 2200C would be very useful to me as well. The B variant doesn't have the continuously variable loudness compensation and I want to see how it's wired up. I mis-installed a capacitor in that circuit and can't go back without the schematic.
  7. G

McIntosh - Hints and Kinks

An Aha! moment. So THAT's what R56 is for. Learn something new everyday. No, the unit is totally dead for several minutes until the tubes light up. Thanks, Terry. Where canI source something like this?
  8. G

Lethargic MC240 power on Just recently my MC240 has begun not powering up immediately when I apply AC to it. Turn on the power and it sits for maybe 3-5 minutes than all of a sudden begins to work. Looking at the schematic nothing jumps out a me that suggests it could be the culprit. Any...
  9. G

Recapping Crossovers...Can you rebuild Electro Voice X-8 and X-36? Should you?

L-pads? I've been using my Aristocrats for a couple of years as two-ways: SP12 + T35 w/ a 2.2 uF high pass filter. They have always sounded magnificient; even thrilling. I haven't been using the T25 mids for some time and I wondered what I was missing. I finally built a pair of X8 and X36...
  10. G

Here we are several years of icredible listening later....Terry has serviced this wonderful instrument and I love it. New issue has appeared and I'm looking for advice: about 3 out of 10 times (more or less) when I power the unit on, the right channel is very weak, almost dead. If I rotate the...
  11. G

My 1960 Original and Only Hi Fi System

Looks like such a lovely room to spend the evening in.....
  12. G

Got a Bell 2200 to play with...

2200C + Aristocrat = Mono Heaven My office system at work is a Bell 2200C that I recapped w/ orange drops, playing through an Aristocrat w/ 12trxb. Sometimes in the evening I don't want to come home. Vocal recordings through this system always make me stop and listen, even if I'm just walking...
  13. G

My NEW Electro Voice X-8 and X-36 Crossovers with PICS!

Does anyone here have a copy of the schematics? I'm dying to make a set for my Aristocrats! -Giles
  14. G

Brought my oscilloscope home from work today, and wonder of wonders, the new diode was bad.....passes distorted AC in both directions. I spent three hours last night with my Simpson 260 trying to figure out what was wrong with the bias circuit, and 5 minutes with a scope showed me that I'd...
  15. G

Anybody Ever Use a Psychrometer?

Yeah, they're easy to use. They have two thermometers, one has the bulb encased in a water-saturated fabric (the "wet bulb"). Swing it around (don't hit anything and break the thermometers) and then read the temperatures of the two thermometers. The dry bulb temperature and the difference...
  16. G

So, your warnings came true. The upper bass on my MC240 started getting flabby and distorted. Terry, a phone call to you confirmed a power supply rebuild was in order. I've replaced the caps and I'm working on the bias supply diode now. But: the transformer bias supply winding is at about...
  17. G

EV drivers sans cabinets

I'm using almost the same driver setup in Aristocrat cabinets with my McIntosh 240, and it brings tears to my eyes. It has the sound I've been looking for my whole life.
  18. G

Arthur: I made the erroneous assumption that the center transformer was the power transformer! What a relief! Do you advocate replacing the signal caps, or are you referring to only the power supply caps? I replaced all in my Eico to very good effect, but there appears to be two schools of...
  19. G

Transformer issue?? I've just moved up from an Eico 2080 (which I have enjoyed for years) to an MC240/MX113 which is blowing my socks off! (Playing through E-V Aristocrats). I've had the amp for about a week: an untouched find from a used furniture store. I haven't done anything to it yet...
Back
Top Bottom