Search results

1. thefragger

Odd Sumo The Nine Plus

Good lord AK has changed a bit since I've been gone... I've got a bit of an oddball, here. A disjointed album of photos can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/O95G4 I can't figure out what's going on, here. I've had this amp for a few years and I'm now finding time to get into restoring it...
  2. thefragger

Making Lemonade... A Fisher 800B Restoration

It's a beautiful, sunny day outside today, and I woke up early! To make the most of the day, I started but putting together the wood case. Once that was glued and clamped up, I then went inside to scan the glass and I'm working right now on digitally cleaning it up. Productive day and this was...
  3. thefragger

Fisher Dial Glass?

Has anyone looked at making reproduction Fisher dial glass? I mean, something that looks totally stock. Silkscreen? Etching? My early-model 800B was kicked in the face while on its way to me.
  4. thefragger

DIYing an 'EICO 615' Adaptor

Slowly. Work was chucking an 'octal extension cable' (for lack of a better term),I grabbed a junction box from The Home Depot, and I already have 3/16" pop rivets. One socket for now, others are on order. For now, just the UX4 socket for my modernized Eico 667 to let me test 45s, 2A3s, etc. A...
  5. thefragger

What's Good in DC?

Hi all, I'll be travelling to Washington DC in a few weeks for a marathon and was wondering what's good to see, places to eat, etc. After DC I'll spend a few more days on the coast (potentially driving as far south as Georgia) before heading back to Canada. Tips, suggestions are welcome!
  6. thefragger

8-bit width vs. 16-bit width?

Ok, so I'm working with a system where the ROM board at minimum needs two 8-bit-wide ROM chips; one stores the LSBs and the other stores the MSBs. The 8-bit LSB file might have data: x00 0101 0101 x01 0010 0010 And the 8-bit MSB file might have data: x00 1010 1010 x01 1101 1101 So, would the...
  7. thefragger

Late Scott 299-A Arrived!

Found this on Barter Town, and njcanuck offered me up an extra knob he had! From what I understand the later 299-A is somewhat of an oddity... it has an earlier face with the oval logo, but an older tube layout. What can I expect for power output? Does it sound like a 'B' or an 'A' ? In...
  8. thefragger

Fisher 800-B... ?

Hi All, Quick question--I'm buying an 800-B receiver and with my Googling I couldn't help but notice that the tubes always sit at the back of the unit. And then it dawned on me: the unit I was buying has the tubes sitting on the inside of the receiver. Photos here...
  9. thefragger

Fisher vs. Fisher

This is a tough one. I can afford one, and nearly-afford the other: I'm looking at either three Fisher 500C receivers with no iron nor tubes for $100, or a single Fisher 800B with iron + tubes for $300. What would you choose?
  10. thefragger

Anyone here a HAMmer?

Got some things from work today: HP 415D SWR Meter HP 415E SWR Meter HP 3400A RMS Voltmeter HP 400E AC Voltmeter Hammardlund HQ-ONE FORTY FIVE-X Collins 75S-3B MFJ Packet-Pactor Controller MFJ-1276 Drake MN-4C Matching Network Heathkit SB-104 Heathkit SB-230 Trio 9R-59D Plus a bunch of meter...
  11. thefragger

Switch Next To Rectifiers; How Close is Too Close??

So I've got my Dual-Mono amp I'm building up and I'm trying to figure out the fuse, switch, and power cord layout. Cutting to the chase (photos later, at work right now), if I had an equilateral triangle where the side length was ~2inches, with the two tube and the (metal, toggle-type) switch...
  12. thefragger

Shoe Sale Reminds Me Of How Much I Want Sony ESPRIT Gear

:drool: :tears: P.S. No laws broken for name+font combo? :scratch2:
  13. thefragger

Speaker Common Connection - Heathkit UA-1

I was looking over this amps schematic (a big image is here: http://i.imgur.com/hXW2l6F.gif ) and I'm curious as to why the common terminal for the speaker output is tied all the way back at the cathode of the input tube, 0.33Ω above ground. Is this some sort of feedback mechanism, or a...
  14. thefragger

12V @ 40A Variable DC Supply?

So I mentor a highschool FIRST robotics team and they asked me if I knew where to get a 12V 40A variable DC supply, and I started searching, and kept searching, and can't really find anything... DIYers of AK, what do you think? Have monsters like these ever been made?! I love my HP Harrison...
  15. thefragger

Don't Take Capacitors for Granted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7bPmGTQUk Some excellent videos from this author. :thmbsp:
  16. thefragger

Do You Have An HP 8640B... ?

And do you love it? Tell me all about the goods and bads of this cool critter. :scratch2:
  17. thefragger

What's the Name of This RF Connector?

On my Eico 315 RF generator... I've been searching around for the better part of an hour now with nothing. The filler material seems to be phenolic and the centred contact seems to be soldered in place.
  18. thefragger

Sony STR-DA5ES--Volume Knob Just for Show? [Fixed!]

I bought this receiver as a fixer-upper for my dad--he's always owned Sony ES gear and I know that when he bought the STR-DB830 receiver it was the closest he could get to the ES line at the time. Bought it, received it, and the volume knob didn't work right from the get-go. That's cool, since...
  19. thefragger

And the list of test gear grows...

Just bought a couple calibrated voltage standards and a Dekavider DV411 decade voltage divider--basically a 10k +/- 0.01%, 250V rated, 3.6kg potentiometer with +/- 0.0025% linearity. :drool: Picked up an HP 3468A (lost is cal memory in transit :( ), an HP Harrison 6206B supply, and an HP...
  20. thefragger

Dell PowerEdge 2950 Configuration?

So, I've got no idea what I'm doing here. Got it from a friend when his company tossed it for upgrades. I figure it'll be great for a media server! Apparently a hardware RAID controller requires that a raid be built *before* letting me install hardware? But what if I want to use a...
  21. thefragger

Metcal vs. Weller?

I've been reading bunches on the Metcal stations, and those that have 'em, love 'em! Anyone on here have one? And those that do, have you moved from a Weller to a MetCal, and what was the difference? I'm 100% happy with my Weller WESD51 station, and 100000% happier with it than the 15W...
  22. thefragger

Eico 667--Plate Voltage?

I've been told that my tester is more of less useless because of the low-voltages that it tests with (previously was told that it's adjustable from 0-100V), but I put the probes to the thing while testing some 6P14P tubes (settings as EL84) and I'm seeing that this tester is using 240Vac (0Vdc)...
  23. thefragger

Fluke 27/FM Meter Blanking/Freezing During Reading?

Has this ever happened to anyone on here? It's just this one meter I have, a new-to-me Fluke 27/FM, where I have it plugged into my Eico 667 meter to measure plate current during the 'merit' test. Sometimes it will freeze or go blank mid-reading and I'll have to turn it off+on for it to work...
  24. thefragger

Which Manufacturer? 6BQ5/EL84

Not totally sure how to label the box that I have these three tubes in... one says Holland (and it came all wrapped up in a BVA box), but they don't look like any other Holland tubes I can find. :scratch2: The other two have the same structure; one kinda says PHILIPS on it and the other has...
  25. thefragger

Sine Wave / Crosshairs Symbol?

Didn't know where else to post this, but I've seen it mainly on older gear, so let's try the tube forum :) What's this sine-wave-in-a-crosshairs symbol? Thought it might be the signal corps down there in the USA, but that's not it, and I don't have any other guesses...
Back
Top Bottom