Search results

1. Coastsider

JBL 4310WX value

I am curious as to the value of my pair of JBL 4310WX's. I am basically an Infinity guy but enjoy having the 4310's because of their status in recording industry history. I have them in my small home office along with a pair of Infinity late 70's RSM's, their version of near field monitors, and...
  2. Coastsider

4310 query

I posted a query some years back about a pair of JBL 4310's I own regarding the fact that they have different woofer and midrange drivers than was apparently standard for the model, but I can't find the thread and so decided to re-post my query since I don't remember if I got any answers as to...
  3. Coastsider

Soundcraftsmen A2502 LED array problem

The A2502 that I use to drive the tops (EMIM's and EMIT's) in my Infinity RS 2.5's has developed a weird problem with the LED array that is used in lieu of VU meters. While the amp is otherwise functioning properly, most but not all of the green LED's will light up, some dimly, even at idle with...
  4. Coastsider

RS 2.5 Single Amp/Bi-Amp switch issue

Several weeks after the successful repair of my RS 2.5 ECU and everything working and sounding fine as documented in the thread at the link below: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=630055&page=2 I suddenly noticed a strange anomaly with my right speaker wherein the sound coming...
  5. Coastsider

Long delayed Monitor Jr project

I've had the bits and pieces of a pair of Monitor Jr's sitting around and/or stored in various places in my house for quite a few years now with a number of factors keeping them from ever getting on the front burner. I can't remember exactly when I got them or why but it seems like they were...
  6. Coastsider

Sony TA-E90ES bias pot replacements

I am getting ready to take my Sony TA-E90ES preamp into the shop for service and know that the general opinion is that the poor quality bias adjustment pots that Sony used in this otherwise exemplary model of the brand should be replaced with quality multi-turn components whenever the...
  7. Coastsider

RS 2.5 active crossover replacement

Sadly my original Infinity Active Crossover that has served me faithfully with my RS 2.5's for years (it is visible at the top of the stack in my avatar) gave up the ghost about a week ago and now blows its ½ amp AC fuse as soon as the power switch is turned on. Although I have a great vintage...
  8. Coastsider

SAE Mark IVD internal fuses

I've recently come into possession of an SAE Mark IVD power amplifier. It's been stored for quite some time and so when I opened it up, other than all of the dirt and rust, I noticed that the top fuse in a bank of four was blown. As I was unable to find a free copy of the schematic for this amp...
  9. Coastsider

New "Walsh" style replacement drivers

A few weeks ago in a thread regarding a pair of Infinity Monitor IIa's that member sansuigold99 had acquired that needed a pair of Walsh drivers, the subject of the new replacement "Walsh" style drivers that were being offered on ebay came up regarding whether or not they would make an...
  10. Coastsider

Sony SS-M7's in S.F. Bay Area (San Jose)

SS-M7's no stands. $500. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/4118472421.html No affiliation. I've already got mine.
  11. Coastsider

Sound City Documentary

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere on AK yet but I just caught the documentary "Sound City" on Palladia last week and it is well worth the time if it shows up again or you have access to it through some other source. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoOfiLz1G4
  12. Coastsider

Freecycle TEAC A6300 - Good Karma in spades

Freecycle TEAC A-6300 - Good Karma in spades Yesterday morning I was perusing my local Freecycle, something I rarely do as I am usually just utilizing it to get rid of stuff, and found a listing for a TEAC A-6300. I immediately shot off an email reply and by 6:00 last night had it on the bench...
  13. Coastsider

Record Price for Sony TA-N77ES Amp?

I don't remember seeing a Sony TA-N77ES go for quite this much before: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281127405203?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Don't get me wrong - I think it's a great amp but yowzer !! Makes me want to hang on to mine just a little bit tighter.
  14. Coastsider

A steal on Infinity 2000II's

I hope an AK'er got these. I was going to post the listing last night but couldn't get the page to come up...
  15. Coastsider

A bit of history

I came across the items in the attached photo while going through some boxes full of personal ephemera last week. The ticket stubs are, as can be seen in the photo, from a December 16th, 1966 Joan Baez Concert, one of number given to benefit Cesar Chavez and what was to become the United Farm...
  16. Coastsider

Mid-70's Infinity driver - or not?

In cleaning out some spare Infinity 70's speaker cabs I have stored in my garage I found a pair of 12" CTS woofers I had left in place in a pair of beat up 1001 cabinets I had acquired for the Peerless mid/tweeters I needed for a WTLC restoration project. Although Infinity did use CTS woofers...
  17. Coastsider

Amazing SACD Demo Discs - suggestions please

Having recently acquired my first SACD player, a magnificent Sony SCD-777ES, and having been astonished by it's performance even when reproducing conventional CD's, and having been even more astonished hearing just today it's performance when reproducing my first SACD, I would like suggestions...
  18. Coastsider

Last of the best Sony CD/SACD player?

This week I added a Sony SCD-777ES to my collection of Sony TOTL CDP players, and the first with SACD capabilities. This thing is a monster with incredible build quality (yes I've already had it open to clean both lenses, one for each format, and to do a bit of lubrication on the important bits...
  19. Coastsider

Crossover question - capacitor function

Given my rudimentary understanding of the functionality of crossover circuits, can someone explain what the function of the 125mfd capacitor is that straddles the + and - circuit paths to the woofer in the attached schematic relative to the typical implementation of capacitors in series with one...
  20. Coastsider

NorCal JBL on CL

Have a look: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/3449888144.html I have a dozen (12) speaker cabinets made by Martin in London, England. Each cabinet contains (2) JBL K140 15" speakers. These are considered to be some of JBL's finest 15" drivers and have very impressive specs (150 watts RMS...
  21. Coastsider

1965 - A good start

While digging through piles of old pictures I came across these black and white Polaroids (remember those gooey preservative sticks . . . . . anybody?) of my first real non-apartment home in L.A.'s Laurel Canyon circa 1965, a converted garage with an attached kitchen and bathroom. They were...
  22. Coastsider

"New" RSM's

I picked up a pair of RSM's from my local CraigsList about two weeks ago. The woofers needed foams and one dust cap was missing but they were otherwise in very good condition although I did also recover the grills which were a bit faded. Photos below of their current situation. I just don't have...
  23. Coastsider

Fairchild 412-1B motor runs hot

Yesterday I pulled my Fairchild 412-1B turntable out of it's current home in an A/V cabinet to do a little routine maintenance and in the process of running it in after cleaning and re-oiling the platter shaft and it's housing, noticed after about 20 minutes that the Pabst hysteresis-synchronous...
  24. Coastsider

Turning Infinitesimal 0.3's into 0.2's

I have three pair of Infinitesimals, 0.1's, 0.2's and 0.3's (sometimes referred to as III's) and a spare pair of 5" Watkins woofers with black poly cones that I stumbled upon some years back in a mis-identified eBay listing. I am contemplating installing the spare Watkins into the 0.3's to...
  25. Coastsider

Information engraved in run-out groove space

I know that the engraved numbers and such in the run-out groove space have significance relative to the particular pressing in which they are contained but while cleaning a copy of The Beatles "Let It Be" I noticed that in addition to the usual coding letters and numbers the words "Phil +...
Back
Top Bottom