Search results

1. pilotputz

elliptical stylus better than old school spherical??? Really?

There's another thread going that asks you to rate your top 5 favorite carts. The M3d made my list:thumbsup:
  2. pilotputz

Help with IDing Lafayette mono speaker

Yeah. Both the speakers I mentioned sell on that certain auction site fairly regularly. Nothing huge, but nothing to sniff at either.The rp103 tweeter is fairly desirable also. They sound very nice and are pretty underrated.
  3. pilotputz

Since you only have one of them, I'd also point out that the P12 and the P8 make great guitar amp speakers...
  4. pilotputz

As far as i know, Lafayette never actually built anything but instead bought from other famous companies and re-branded the gear with their name. Your speakers are loaded with Jensen drivers. I see a P12 woofer, a P8r midrange and the RP103 tweeter.
  5. pilotputz

Your Top 5 favorite/best vintage MM/MI catridges.

Shure v15 IV Audio Technica AT-125lc Shure v15 III Shure M91ed Shure M3
  6. pilotputz

Roger 'Syd' Barrett

It's funny that a thread about Syd got started today. I woke up this morning and put on Madcap Laughs for the first time in ages. One of Yung's meaningful coincidences I suppose. Be that as it may, there's nobody that sounds like Syd but Syd. A true original. And a sad story, too.
  7. pilotputz

What's with the low frequency sound randomly injected in movies?

Right on, brother. Seriously, my sweet girlfriend is getting sick of hearing me say this!! I'm sorry, but grown-ups in their 40s getting excited about the upcoming Marvel movie make me feel bad for the world... Rampant infantilization: I says. As to the OPs observation, I notice it too. I hear...
  8. pilotputz

Fisher Ambassador VII

Simple. 500 bucks for a later solid state amp is WAY too much. And the TT doesn't work? Pass.
  9. pilotputz

Lancers by SoundCraftsman Pt II

I've owned several pair of Soundcraftsmen speakers. With each pair that I've owned the drivers were either re-branded University fullrange drivers or re-branded Utah drivers. Yours look like the smaller pair with 8 inch Utahs. Good speakers for tubes since they do not have a very high power rating.
  10. pilotputz

Opinions on orange drop capacitors

What kind of ODs did you use? They 715 and 716s are polypropylene while the 6ps and 4ps are polyester. I tend to find the polypropylene caps are a bit bright and glossy sounding. I also find that they mellow out a bit after a burn-in of several hours. Might want to play it for about 20 hours...
  11. pilotputz

Worst album covers thread ?

See Dick run. Run Dick, run. Then change your name. Yikes.
  12. pilotputz

Fender 'Champ' Amp question: 8K vs 5K PI?

Hey Dave! I always joke that the early Fender Tweeds are like chocolate chip cookies: uncomplicated, unsophisticated, and great. You always see people do all sorts of thing to improve the chocolate chip cookie. When they're done, they made a cookie: But it's not a good old simple chocolate...
  13. pilotputz

Can anyone help identify these 1960's speakers

The backs on the speakers are sealed. So you know you'll have to access the drivers from the front. One medium-sized regular screwdriver should do the trick. I usually put a piece of fabric behind the screwdriver to protect the wood while I'm prying the grills up. I bet those grills are nailed...
  14. pilotputz

Hey Wharfcreek. I will check out my parts department and let you know. The only problem is if they will fit with the holes in your chassis? Included a photo of an early Champ build with the OPT I mentioned.
  15. pilotputz

I've built dozens of Champ clones and to my ears OPTs in the 7-8k ohms sound better to me than lower ones such as the 5k you've mentioned. The Champ has very little headroom as it is. The 5k OPT will make it break up even quicker and that isn't really a good thing...To my ears. I tore apart old...
  16. pilotputz

When A Friend Helps You Start A Rebuilt Engine

I love that guy! What a great prank. Anybody who views that as devious probably is devious:That's how projection works... My first good laugh of the day. Thanks!!!
  17. pilotputz

Can anyone help identify these 1960's speakers

My guess is Bang and Olufsen.
  18. pilotputz

Edison NJ audio hoard starts 17 May Dyna TEAC McIntosh

Ain't that the truth. Reality tv is just unreal...
  19. pilotputz

Bands I never thought would survive the test of time but did

I can't get over how often I hear the BEE GEES on the radio these days. Who would have guessed that 40 years ago?
  20. pilotputz

Scott 299A vs Eico ST-70

As far as sound-wise, I think I'd have to give the nod to the Scott. I've owned several of both and the Scott is to me anyway, a better design. Pretty sure the Scott has a rectified front end that gives a very low noise floor while the Eico was still running AC to the 12ax7 heaters: Their trick...
  21. pilotputz

Edison NJ audio hoard starts 17 May Dyna TEAC McIntosh

Jesus. This man did not have a wife...
  22. pilotputz

Restore Modified HH Scott LC-21 Pre-Amp

That is a really nice looking unit. You do really clean work, too. Just curious: Why did you leave the original coupling caps? You don't think you could get an improvement to the sound with newer, higher quality caps?
  23. pilotputz

Best 6v6 console amps

I want to second the Magnavox 88xx amps. They are easy to find, easy to restore, and they sound great. Pair them with a modest preamp and you can have very respectable tone for about 200 bucks invested...
  24. pilotputz

How NOT to finish your Maggie Console pull

Agreed. A little bit of quadruple aught steel wool would've shined it right up! That's just plain ugly.
  25. pilotputz

Interesting speaker transaction

Lots of Asian buyers here on the West Coast. A few years back I listed a pair of Altec Model 19s on CL San Francisco at 5:30 am. I live 270 miles north in Humboldt Co. At 5:45 am I had a guy on the road coming to grab them. At 11:30 am he had them loaded up and was bragging that he would get 4...
Back
Top Bottom