Search results

1. duncan

Have an odd CD player right channel issue

Reverse the L/R cables at one end. Play music until you notice a channel dropping out. If it's the left side with the problem now, you can concentrate on the cd player. If it is still the right channel, concentrate on the receiver. It's almost certainly a connection issue somewhere, and...
  2. duncan

Adjust pot to give CD player second life

It more often hastens that trip to the landfill than delays it.
  3. duncan

Dead Philips DVD963SA - running out of ideas

I don't always replace large filter caps, depending on how they measure. When I do replace one I'm not very picky about the pedigree, I'm just happy if it is within spec and good quality. But I think that small bypass cap you mentioned is a good idea. Anyway great work! I hope you get lots of...
  4. duncan

Dead Philips DVD963SA - running out of ideas

It sounds to me like the previous owner, even if he wasn't using the player for a long time, probably had it plugged in to the wall. If that's true, you might get away with replacing a single cap, marked #2216 on the schematic. It was probably originally 100uf/16v but it would be a good idea to...
  5. duncan

NOS Sony DVP-NS999ES

Just noticing this picture now, looking back through the thread. My first SACD player came with the Sony sampler in the white sleeve. It prompted me to buy three of the albums featured (JT 'Hourglass', the Mozart double concertos, and 'Kind of Blue').
  6. duncan

NOS Sony DVP-NS999ES

Congratulations! Fantastic to get hold of a 999 in NOS condition, mostly for its own sake, but also because the correct remote control is exceedingly hard to find these days. My advice would be to leave the slow loading tray alone for now and not lube it, unless it's so slow that it times out...
  7. duncan

new Denon CD player shipping Monday

Looking forward to hearing about this when it comes in.
  8. duncan

Upgrade from Sony DVP-NC555ES?

The op-amps are tied to their respective jacks. So yes, when you're listening via the multichannel front jacks to 2-channel material, it's going through the better output stage.
  9. duncan

There's some beauty in that design. The separate switched-mode power supply is used for disc transport and video, but the audio board gets its own transformer and linear supply. That big stamped metal sheet between the layers of electronics would seem to provide shielding like what's under the...
  10. duncan

You're definitely right about the beefiness. The ns999es is a beast compared to the ns900v in terms of rigidity and heft. Also it has an extra shielding plate bolted to the bottom of the audio board (maybe this is true of the nc555es as well?). There were a couple of other ES players after...
  11. duncan

Commenting on only part of your post - going by the schematics, the nc555es and ns999es do appear to be essentially identical from an audio standpoint, even if they don't use exactly the same analog output board. I own a couple of 999 players and have noted that in their stock state, the...
  12. duncan

ADCOM GCD-575 - VERY Low Audio Output

No problem, and nice job catching the part difference. The reasoning on those two caps was, since they are tied to pins 4 and 7 of the IC, which both read low compared to the SM spec, the likelihood was they were leaking DC to ground and acting like voltage dividing resistors. The player...
  13. duncan

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to change specs but the value probably isn't critical, I think it just affects the timing for how long it takes the player to unmute after power-on. Guess I'd try a fresh 4.7 first. edit: after replacing C402 did the voltage on pin 7 change?
  14. duncan

Okay. I'd definitely replace those caps.
  15. duncan

Cheap DVD players with SACD capabilty. Are they any good?

If you're looking at the slim-line Sony players like NS500V / NS755V / NS775V / NS90V, they aren't in the same league with the NS900V in sound quality IMHO. (I'm talking stock here. Those players can be modified to close the gap pretty well, but most folks aren't into such fiddly DIY...
  16. duncan

+/- 15v was correct, sorry, not sure where I got +/- 11v from. So I'd look at the muting circuit next. Any chance either C402 or C403 has gone bad? Also what voltages do you read around IC402 (interested in pins 2,4,6,7).
  17. duncan

Seems like there shouldn't be too many possibilities. DAC is working if there is any sound at all. It's likely the signal is dying either at the output opamps (IC203, IC204) or the muting relays. Next place I'd look would be at pins 7 and 4 of the opamps, see if there is roughly 11v and -11v...
  18. duncan

I believe this player has two pairs of output jacks, for fixed and variable level. Which are you using?
  19. duncan

Dead Akai CD-D1 Player?

Paging @Tinman ...
  20. duncan

CD Changer Recommendation

Big fan of the Sony NS900V here, but a lot of that for me is how it performs with SACD. If you don't do SACD and are considering a changer, anything from the Yamaha CDCxxx series will probably cost half as much as an NS900V. I like my CDC585, got it for cheaps because it needed a belt for the...
  21. duncan

Pangea DS400 stands - am I assembling them wrong or did I get a bad pair

Hmph. Okay it seems I was doing it wrong. Needed to heed my dad's (RIP, Dec 1 2022) advice, when I was a teenager, about tightening wheel bolts: never do them in order, but stagger them 1-3-5-2-4. The bases on these stands have 8 bolts in a 2x4 rectangle. I think what I did yesterday was just...
  22. duncan

Quick followup - I redialed a half hour later and got through; National Pokemon Day must have ended at 5pm eastern time. It sounds like the dealer will do whatever they can to make it right. The guy I talked to suspects there's probably one column that was mis-drilled at the factory, and if I...
  23. duncan

A pair of Pangea DS400 stands arrived Saturday, intended for use with a pair of B&W 606S2 speakers that will be arriving in the week. I've was getting over a back injury when they were delivered and am just getting around to unpacking and assembling them. Little problem: this stand insists on...
  24. duncan

Denon DRM-500 NOS motor

There *were* almost certainly screws running through those black posts that were supposed to be removed from the front. It looks like you have the deck torn down far enough that you should be able to get to the screw heads. If they're not there, I wonder if a previous owner did something...
  25. duncan

Vector Research VCX-250 cassette deck: Volume difference playback vs. recording

Before touching any internal calibrations, (1) make sure the tape path and especially the heads are clean; (2) double check your switch settings, make sure they are correct for the tape type you are using, (3) clean out any internal mechanical switches with a good electronics cleaner spray, like...
Back
Top Bottom