Search results

1. sandt38

Which Plasma HDTV?

When I went looking for Plasma a couple years ago my heart was set on the Elite. Hoever, after auditioning and finding there to be no real black, and poor color seperation on all the plasmas I looked at, I went RPTV. I'm glad I did too, I am still not impressed with any plasma I have ever seen.
  2. sandt38

Follow along! Speaker build.

Where did you get this "heat lock" Jerry?
  3. sandt38

New speakers

Nice find!!! If mama likes them you definately scored ;)
  4. sandt38

New DIY Electrostats

I read a few articles on DIY electrostats not too long ago. I have a good friend who is a speaker designer who was considering building them, but I am not too sure what he is doing with regaurds to them. Here is his link. I figure maybe you would like to look at his link page . Just a...
  5. sandt38

Adire Audio Brahma in action

Here is a 70 watt amp with almost everything you could need (including crossover and gain, but without phase) for under $50 Here is a 120 watter for $100... it is not a continuously variable phase, but it is a 180 degree alowance.
  6. sandt38

There aren't many that look like mine actually. Notice the T-type wheels? GNs came with black and chrome wheels and most people who changed them didn't opt for the drab aluminum T-Type wheels. I wanted a sleepr and the chrome and black paint were flaking on my factory wheels... Just an FYI...
  7. sandt38

The average sub will begin to get muddy at say 200 Hz. Vocals will be very trying for a sub. While XBL2 enables the use of short coils and lower inductance in a sub, the inductance for any drive unit designed as a sub will be higher than a midrange. There are 2 reasons for this really. First...
  8. sandt38

Just because I am capable of 147dB doesn't mean I ever do it... outside of being metered. You would be hard pressed to hear my Brahma over my exhaust ;) ... My car with the Brahma runs quarter miles in 11.84 and has over 480 Hp and 525Lb ft of torque...
  9. sandt38

The Brahma 12s roll off fairly early, with an F3 about 60-65Hz anechoic. In car rolloff at about 75, and in room about 65-70. I have not measured the Koda10 in room yet, but my experiance thus far dictates it is solid up to the crossover point at 80Hz (I don't like it that high, but THX...
  10. sandt38

Thanks Jerry. That wood is absolutely stunning. I am glad that you will be finishing the tutorial... I am always looking to learn something new, and in fact I already have ;)
  11. sandt38

Speaker tutorial

oh yeah, here is a quick veneering tutorial I threw together a while back. I had a few people pressing me, so I built it real quick... please pardon the lack of depth, as I say it was a quick tutorial.
  12. sandt38

Speaker tutorial

In light of jerrymrc's cessation of his speaker project, I was wondering how many people would like to see a build. I have some pics of cabinet construction, veneering, real solid wood edging inlays, crossover assembly, etc. that I can offer... They will be from my towers in my avatar. I...
  13. sandt38

???Why Not??? I love to see tutorials like this. How many times have I learned something new while watching someone else do it... I learn so many new tricks about old hat projects it is surprising. I for one will be disapointed if you don't finish this.
  14. sandt38

Who has some killer subwoofers?

So with all that having been said, you are agreeing that you need to manipulate the signal to keep smooth FR due to output losses down low... exactly what I said. I don't believe in electronic manipulation to achieve anechoic flat FR, which is why I suggested what I suggested. You suggest...
  15. sandt38

What's Pioneer in your rig?

Rick, What do you think of the VMPS? I know a guy who has the 626Rs and absolutely raves about them. But recently, I saw a dissection of the speakers and was quite disapointed in the internals. The guy who tore them apart just flayed the speakers too, but he was selling mods for it, so...
  16. sandt38

PLEASE! Stop with the SILVER already!

I am now investigating FP for my home too. Heck, a nice FP set-up will cost less then my RPTV... and I paid about 1/2 MSRP :yikes:
  17. sandt38

Older TVs were built better, but a decent new one should outlive a service contract. In my research I found the Pioneers to be the most reliable, plus I felt they were the best overall value. Unfortunately, the crystal clear Sonys were apparently the worst on guns, and the guns run about $2700...
  18. sandt38

I agree... All you need to do is see a scene where there is shadow that progresses from pitch black to a soft gray... The seperation of progression is terrible with plasmas, and there is no such thing as black :( . I had 12 grand in my pocket when I went looking for a TV, and I feel I came...
  19. sandt38

THE subwoofer "duallie"

Depends on the application really. The DPL12 is a dipole designed driver. With that consideration in mind, it's operation is optimized for mechanical silence. Adire also brought the FS (resonance frequency) down super low, below the audible threshold for a young male (who's range is greater...
  20. sandt38

When I went looking at TVs a few years ago I became frustrated at the silver units. At first I had only plasma on the brain, and I had the cash in hand for it. But after looking at them I decided the picture quality was terrible, and for ten grand I'm not going to suffer PQ. When I looked at...
  21. sandt38

Lets see 'em

Dan, I also saw your set up while browseing... Am I recalling correctly that they have an efficiency of 102dB measured? They also use what you dubbed "salad bowl" horns, if I recall correctly... do you have any linkage to their function? I am preparing to step into the world of high...
  22. sandt38

THE subwoofer "duallie"

I have not measured anything in room yet (I haven't really given them ample break in), but judging by the auto set-up's selection, I'd say very flat, with an F3 below 25 Hz, and my crossover set at 80Hz. The cabinet is a shade over 3 feet with 4 pounds of polyfil. Dual PE250 amps power the...
  23. sandt38

Lets see 'em

Jim, I was browsing the site a few days ago and I came across your rig. I must say, I was utterly impressed. Beautiful gear, and I am quite sure it is a slice of heaven when it is up and running.
  24. sandt38

THE subwoofer "duallie"

Here they are naked...
  25. sandt38

THE subwoofer "duallie"

For informational purposes I will report the equipment being used for this review. I am a believer that when you review a product, you need to be aware of the components used, as this is a "system" after all. Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX 7.1 channel 100WPC reciever. Pioneer Elite DV45A...
Back
Top Bottom