Search results

1. S

Bang for the buck vs Brand Worship

I have been collecting vintage audio, since the early 80's. I still have my first set of JBL L-65's, that I purchased in 1978 in Japan, along with a Sansui G22000 (the Sansui is long gone). I've owned at least two dozen pairs of JBL speakers, including the XPL-200, 250ti, L300 and still have...
  2. S

Finally, Electro Voice Sentry III

Hi, Yes, we have run the Behringer EQ set up. We found a video with a British chap, explaining it all. Very dry guy, but very knowledgeable. The Behringer EQ only, compares to the NASA Space Shuttle in complexity. We almost had to call Mission Control in Houston, to help us out! But we...
  3. S

Update on how it's going. My brother and I live about 40 miles apart in LA County, so he counts on me, to help him find components for this system. He's got a pretty good 'base' knowledge, can hook up a vintage receiver, but he's never put together, something like this (and admittedly, neither...
  4. S

Indeed, it does. I read all five pages, including the recent updates. Very intriguing and worth a second careful re-read. My take on the Klipsch Jubilee owner, was that he used a highly sophisticated active EQ to get the results he wanted and he was happy with the results. I noticed that...
  5. S

GDM, thanks for the great response on the EQ. We'll play (I mean experiment! ;)) with the EQ to our best taste, take a pic of the display and then let the Behringer calibrate the room! Should be accomplishing, that, this weekend! Today, my brother is going out and getting the XLR to 1/4" TSR...
  6. S

Thanks! I'm kind of light headed this morning and I appreciate the info on the subject of constant directivity, as I will look it up and take that into consideration, when we're experimenting with the EQ.
  7. S

Is the ST-350 a microphone? Please elaborate on your thoughts, as we're using the recommended Behringer ECM8000 mike to calibrate the room at the listening position.
  8. S

Thanks and I will do that! Before and After, would be very cool. How did it 'work' for you? Did it make a significant difference in the sound quality?
  9. S

LOL! They are big, heavy and totally wonderful. A very smooth speaker at any volume level. The midrange horn on these behemoths, are exceptional and the tweeter, predates the butt-cheek horns on the later JBL 4430 and 4435's. Though I haven't heard it yet, my brother has now hooked up the...
  10. S

I found my pair of Sentry III's for $100 in very good condition a few years back. They did not have the factory EQ box, but they never lacked for very high quality sound, using a Soundcraftsmen DX4201 Preamp and a A5002 Amplifier. I've owned over a dozen pair of JBL speakers, including the 250...
  11. S

Heads up on EV Sentry III CL Ad in Dayton OH area

There's a pair of ElectroVoice Sentry III"s for sale out there on Craigslist. They definitely have patina and wear, but look solid and might just clean up well. The ad was posted a month ago and the pair are going for $300. I am a solid JBL fan, having owned many of their speakers, including...
  12. S

Thanks to CD Fixer

Here's a hearty thanks to CD Fixer for getting my ancient Sansui 5500 up and running! It was a broken freebie and I never heard it. I have had plenty of G series experience (three G-9000's and two G-22000's). When I got home, I had trouble hooking it up to the family room system (the...
  13. S

CR-2020 pictures

Nice system! I see two pair JBL's with LE14's? The pair in front looks DCM? and a third pair hiding underneath the JBL. What are they?
  14. S

From the Ground Up

Great thread Pete and thanks for the excellent story and pictures. I can't believe you got it running! A Pilsner Urquel sounded like just the brew to celebrate with (unless it's a Stone IPA!). Congrats on a job well done. :banana:
  15. S

Show your JBLs off

I concur with Brad. Thanks everyone for sharing big and small alike (there's a pair of L-110's in the house that are always worth a listen to). Chichocki, you are spot-on about the 375's! They are friggin' huge! But seriously, I believe a lot of us, just got hooked by that west coast 'JBL...
  16. S

Show your JBLs off

Wow very heavy metal looking! I love the exposed shiny screwheads. It makes em' look like evil. I can imagine the speakers saying "Hey you! You on the couch! You want a piece of this, buddy?" Nice work. But I'd like to know how they sound without the L-91 lens. Inquiring minds wanna know!
  17. S

Kenwood KL10000Z speakers

No affiliation, but interesting. Especially the peekaboo panels on the sides. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ele/140837560.html
  18. S

Kenwood L-07C II Preamp; BIN $300

Nice score! That's a purty pre, that's for sure. It has that look of quality!
  19. S

Marantz suggestions

Sah-weet picture on the left! Your artistry shines through! That could be an ad, it looks so good. :thmbsp:
  20. S

Putting together 'ideal' package, need some guidance...

What speakers do you exactly have? Sansui SP-200's or JBL's? Which model JBL's if you have both? The bigger JBL's can handle 300W and up, depending on the model and how good the amp is. I know of a Lansing Heritage member who's running TWO Perreaux 750 Watt monoblocks to a pair of 4344's and...
  21. S

Show your JBLs off

Nice! A grill on the bottom half would make those look just fine. Often, though, I'll pull the grills off've mine, just so I can look at them, while I'm listening. I've always wanted to hear a 4430 or 4435
  22. S

Show your JBLs off

They are nice that way and thanks all for your generous responses, they do the JBL's proud (they're only owned by me, the legacy belongs to JBL). This year is JBL's 60th anniversary! While they've put out some hit and miss in the 80's and 90's, they've always had a selection for the higher end...
  23. S

Show your JBLs off

Final pic of L-300's Just to give you an idea of the siz of these things. I'm 6'1" and that's me on the right... The second pic is my bud Steve Gonzales (JBL Freak extraordinaire) who helped me with the diaphragm replacement. Note the size of the LE-85's and horns...
  24. S

Show your JBLs off

Thanks! Good catch on the speakers. These are actually an empty pair of JBL L-112 cabs that I thought I could put to good use. It actually looks pretty good (at least to me!).
  25. S

Show your JBLs off

They weigh 130 pounds apiece. Can't upload anymore pics as I've used them in other threads, but the Lansing Heritage site has a great library that you can browse http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1975-l300.htm
Back
Top Bottom