Search results

1. chef free

RIP Terry DeWick

Sorry to hear! We've lost a lifetime of repair knowledge, I've always said he should be videotaped doing repairs while narrating what he was doing.... I will listen to my MC2200's and C30 he recapped in his memory.
  2. chef free

Vintage SS McIntosh Power Amp, Pre Amp, and Tuner Power Connections: Best Practices

I plug everything into a "NA-3900 Hi-End Audio Grade Noise Filter" that I got with my MC2200. Amps and pre amp are plugged into the "Direct" outlets and everything else is plugged into the "Filtered" outlets. I leave amps and pre switched ON and use the filter's power switch. (Scenario 2...
  3. chef free

RS 4.5 arrive to take on the QLS-1!

The RS 4.5 went to their new home today (I helped lug them upstairs!) so I feel like I should post some kind of review of my month with them. The RS 4.5 was made to replace the QLS-1 and as a proof of concept of the emim midrange drivers. The 4.5 do have greater clarity in the upper mids, an...
  4. chef free

Ricky the Cat's response to a friend's Raven Audio mono blocks...

Everybody's a critic!
  5. chef free

Can you hang floor standing speakers?

I had a pair of JBL 4355 in my garage for a while, underneath they had a row of three 5/16" eye screws at each end. I reached in through the port and could feel a 1" strip of metal about 1/4" thick with the bolted ends of the eye screws through it. Looked like someone once saw fit to suspend...
  6. chef free

Speakers numbers 7002754 and 5. One has the 100uf cap while the other has a 75 and 25 tied together. Both smell strongly of cigarettes. Got them from a guy in LA named Dan...
  7. chef free

A friend asked if he could store some RS 4.5's at my house for a while (i said yes of course). This pair is in excellent physical condition; foam old but intact, all drivers functioning correctly, eight new emim diaphragms from Bob Douglas, fresh woofer foam, all six covers intact, wood well...
  8. chef free

Infinity RS4.5 Restoration - Should I Stay or Should I go?

I totally agree! A second "midbass coupler" at the top of the array could have made these speakers sound as good standing up as the do when I'm sitting down! There was a Philips 5060 W4 that could have been put in series with no changes to the crossover necessary... My QLS sound much better...
  9. chef free

New! QLS V2

New from Quintessence Acoustics, QLS V2, a 2 way line source with subs, claiming 41kHz-19Hz! http://www.quintessenceacoustics.com/?fbclid=IwAR1xweoIVUoZ0aLOS3NMbLZqO5g6d0CbymFiZOdPDnz5KClMXHt2CibEUps
  10. chef free

Infinty QLS1/QLS2 CROSSOVER LESSONS LEARNED?

Version 1 of the crossovers was redesigned to deal with the woofers bottoming out on heavy bass passages. Watkins also addressed the problem by changing to a "bumped out" pole piece. When I rebuilt my QLS, I went with version 2, please notice that several coil values were changed along with...
  11. chef free

Are the inductors usually this far off on Infinitys?

I borrowed a tech friend's ESR meter, which has adjustable frequency, and tested the coils in my QLS-1. They had hand written values on them which were very close to the spec on the crossover schematic but when I tested them, they were way off. So many questions here: how can an inductor...
  12. chef free

QLS-1 Are they really that good?

About a decade ago I bought a pair on impulse, went all through them, and once repaired, they sounded much better than any other speakers I had. I was satisfied! Last year a friend asked if he could store some speakers at my place, a pair of Golden Ear Triton One r. I knew of their reputation...
  13. chef free

QB Rescue Mission

How did you decide how much to use?
  14. chef free

QB Rescue Mission

I agree about the Qb sounding "boxy", I added about 50% more polyfill which seemed to tame the 100Hz thump....
  15. chef free

QLS-1 - The King is dead, long live the King

Fun and rewarding process! I fully restored a rosewood pair a few years back (i didn't even know they came in rosewood!). My experiences were similar, lots of time spent tweaking amplification, speaker positioning, crossover set up, and room treatments. These speakers pay you back with a...
  16. chef free

4355 external crossover recommendations

Did JBL make an external crossover to go with the 4355? If not, any ideas? Using DBX unit now, looking at Bryston 10b...
  17. chef free

"Balance" setting?

I listen to about 50% ROIO's (ya know, bootlegs), those tapes are usually not L/R balanced...
  18. chef free

Unpopular opinion

1. Records sound bad. 2. Monster Receivers are overpriced and don't perform very well. 3. New "Outlaw Country" (Sturgill Simpson, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers) is very good music!
  19. chef free

"Balance" setting?

My room has a left side wall built of studs and drywall but the right side is sheetrock over plywood over concrete. The right side always sounds a little louder, I fix this with the balance knob...
  20. chef free

Watt nonsense!

HELLO AND WELCOME! Here's what I think: 1. To make the music sound twice as loud, you need to raise the volume about 10db, which requires a quadrupling of watts. 2. I used big power amps, 400 watts per, because my speakers are very low sensitivity, about 81dB. More sensitive speakers will play...
  21. chef free

Opinions? Infinity RSII vs Quantum 3 (QLS3)

Q3 has the Watkins 12" and claims 28Hz, the RSII uses two 10" and claims 36Hz. if bass is your thing. One thing about the Q3 is those domes are irreplaceable, all the parts on the RSII are easily available.
  22. chef free

Single "stackable" banana plugs? cant find them... only duals

These are the ones I use: https://smile.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Carbonate-Insulated-Thumbscrew/dp/B00O3NTB28/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26D3VOD56EKFG&keywords=stacking+banana+plugs&qid=1647919082&sprefix=stacking+banana+plugs%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-3
  23. chef free

Kappa 8 Vs Irs Omega?

Polydome replacement diaphragms are being made and repair services are offered by Audio Karma member BobbyD. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kappa-polydome-repair-part-update.839677/
  24. chef free

Quantum rear EMIT

Yeah but I don't know how. It just started working, I had flipped the switch several times but at that point, it still didn't work. Flipped the switch yesterday and it worked...
Back
Top Bottom