Search results

1. wiredbecker

Simply Speakers surround repair kits. Yea or nay?

I haven't used Simply Speakers for repairs yet but I have used Rick Cobb in the past and Springfield Speaker this afternoon. Springfield included a rubber adhesive to affix the foam surrounds but I didn't feel comfortable working with it (dry time will be too fast for me) so I went with the...
  2. wiredbecker

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

I picked up two pairs of the ELX clones from AliExpress as well. They shipped in pairs via separate boxes which was kind of annoying as there was a lag between shipments which made me wonder if the second pair would ever show up but thankfully they did. Thank you again for the heads up on these!
  3. wiredbecker

I probably have 25 pairs left before I will need to re-order!
  4. wiredbecker

Heyyy that looks pretty damn good!
  5. wiredbecker

Post your Thrift Store Rigs

Thrift store setups are some of the most audio fun to be had. These estate sale Epi M50 speakers really shined once I paired them with dual garage sale $20 JBL subs to handle the low end. The ultrawide dispersion from EPI's Burhoe tweeters really created an immersive and engaging sound field...
  6. wiredbecker

Sad Dynacos

I used Citristrip paint stripper when I returned a mirrored pair of A25s to service back in 2008. I really liked using Citristrip because it is non-toxic. Here's my old Dynaco A25 thread from when I first started on AK...
  7. wiredbecker

KLH Six circa 1968 Restoration w/Pics!

Another great GD70 restoration thread! Inspired work as always. :beerchug:
  8. wiredbecker

I'm in the process of acquiring the parts for this last pair of speakers that Zilch and I completed back in October 2010. The cabinets are a pair of AR4xs which were the original speakers that I offered up for Zilchification two years previously. It was a fun build that has no right to sound...
  9. wiredbecker

So many folks don't realize that you can invert the speaker to bring the horn tweeter on axis with the intended listening position. :thumbsup:
  10. wiredbecker

JBL Control 28 Outdoor speakers with rough tweeters

I can't recommend a replacement tweeter (other than an original) but I can recommend this speaker system as a whole with it's integrated 'Invisiball' mounting kit and overall good sound. I run a pair in my kitchen with an old Polk subwoofer in the corner and they absolutely rock while my lady...
  11. wiredbecker

My favorite at the moment is the LE14H-3. They feature detailed response and make monster bass. This is the woofer used in my current daily drivers, the JBL Array 1400s. The same woofer that Duffinator ultimately settled on for his ZD007 build in Barzilay cabinets (my favorite iteration of his...
  12. wiredbecker

Bass Port Length and Shape for a JBL 2213H DIY Project

Zilch and I ran my 123A Econowave bass bins sealed and the cabinet size was quite small under 1.2 cubic feet. Bass response was adequate for my purposes. I ran these with waveguides on top at Wired Magazine offices for many years!
  13. wiredbecker

best driver gasket

Another vote for the rolls of foam gasket tape that Parts Express sells. That's what Zilch and I used to create air-tight seals on all of our speakers.
  14. wiredbecker

Anyone sell their CD player and CDs???

I've been going through my CD collection ripping stuff I haven't heard in years to 320 mbps stereo MP3s. I know it isn't lossless, but I'm hard pressed to hear an audible difference between 320 MP3s and Flac. It's really nice to hear all this stuff again. Somehow with streaming I forget that...
  15. wiredbecker

What smaller ADS speakers sound best?

I have a pair of L520 bookshelves that I really enjoy. From a design perspective, I like the metal-perforated grill. It's probably doing some HF cutoff filtering stuff but I can't be bothered to care. For a time, I lent this pair out to a friend for his art studio sound system, fully ready for...
  16. wiredbecker

Hi @reddish75 The standard Econowave crossover point is 1500 hz, so your Sony woofer would need to be able to play up to and just beyond that point to be compatible with the build. I don't have any experience with this woofer so you may need to measure the woofer's response to see if it will...
  17. wiredbecker

Does anyone here like their Air-pods?

I really enjoy my Airpod Pros. Pairing and reconnection are a breeze. I use them when I wash the dishes or when working on stuff around the house. They pair well with our Apple TV and allow me to watch movies without disturbing my girlfriend while she sleeps. Similarly, she can watch her shows...
  18. wiredbecker

Anyone sell their CD player and CDs???

Kept all the CDs and the CDPs. Acquired more CDs as well! Recently picked up a Topping D90SE for streaming and appreciate the additional available digital inputs so perhaps I'll feed my CDP to it at some point to see if I can hear a difference.
  19. wiredbecker

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

Incoming kits: Hypex Nilai 500 Class D Monoblocks!
  20. wiredbecker

Coathangers vs. super-cables -- are these tests for real?

I can't get this setup to work, what am I doing wrong? :rflmao: That said, the noise reduction is astonishing.
  21. wiredbecker

Speakers in the wild: What have you come across?edit: can be the ‘wilds’ of your own collection.

Driving in the rain yesterday, I spotted two monolithic shapes sitting on the curb with a small box so I threw my car in reverse and lo-and-behold-what-did-I-find but a pair of White Van MTM towers with a matching cheapo sub! o_O ...and I would have thrown them in the back of the car to save...
  22. wiredbecker

ESS Heil Tweeters on Sale

Damn, and I have 2 pairs of these in storage without HF drivers: Guess I'll just have to Econowave them after all! :naughty:
  23. wiredbecker

Thanks for the heads up @testwork . I searched and was able to pick up another pair that someone decided to post since your message on Monday! These waveguides almost never pop up.
  24. wiredbecker

My pleasure Pete, it was nice to recall that experience. I can't remember if the overall depth with a mounted driver is greater than the 6x12. We'll just have to measure when the parts become accessible again.
  25. wiredbecker

I wish I were set up to measure and play along at home. All speakers, (with the exception of JBL Array 1400s, stock Ewave Deluxe, the AR4 OASR one-off Ewaves, and some Control 28s) mounted in the kitchen are stacked and buried deep in storage. That being said, I like the 6x12 due to its wide...
Back
Top Bottom