Search results

1. wiredbecker

Just completed this 14wpc EL84 build

Hi Tube Audio folks, I'm very pleased to announce the completion of this 14wpc EL 84 build. This was completed over a handful of Saturdays as part of Randall Museum's tube audio DIY class series. My girlfriend got me the class for Christmas (she's a keeper!) and I fronted the rest of material's...
  2. wiredbecker

Altec Horn ID

Hi Altec aficionados, I acquired this massive pair of speakers a few years back with the thought that I would cannibalize them for their drivers to create a DIY pair of Model 19's as a proof of concept/test bed for the ZL19 crossover. Recently I picked up a spare pair of Trusonic H-811-B...
  3. wiredbecker

Look what followed me home--JBL 2226Hs!

Not pictured: the fourth 15" JBL 2226H woofer. It couldn't safely fit on the back seat so I stashed it in the trunk. This was, as we say, a serious SCROE.
  4. wiredbecker

Help with a Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0!

I'm trying to help out a coworker that fried a handful of resistors on his Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 by plugging the 16v 3amp power supply into the Output rather than the Input. If I could get a picture of the back right side of the board I could determine the values of the resistors and...
  5. wiredbecker

New to me Denon DP-60L w/ Denon DL-110 cart--needle won't reach the record!

I was very stoked to pick up a clean Denon DP-60L w/ Denon DL-110 cart for $150 today. When I got back to the lab I figured out why it was so cheap. The stylus never touches the record! Evidently there isn't enough mass at the front of the arm to allow it to even zero out. Does anyone have a...
  6. wiredbecker

Here's a driver you don't see very often: RCA LC-1B

A few weeks back I got to explore the former HQ of a local TV station that recently moved to new digs. It happened to be the last day that they held the lease on the space and everything left behind was up for grabs. I only had about a half hour to rummage and I kept thinking, "Oh man, where are...
  7. wiredbecker

Rega runs fast, what to do?

Hello all, I've been working on my Rega Planar 3 and discovered that it runs at exactly 34.0 RPM not 33.3 as it should. Evidently this is common with Rega tables. I have an inexpensive ($9) black belt on the way, perhaps that will solve the problem. If it doesn't well, damn I dunno. Next...
  8. wiredbecker

Which has the best response KT88 or 6550?

Hello all, I'm building up two 40 watt monoblocks on the weekends and we haven't quite gotten to the tube roll point yet. I'm hoping you guys can give me a straight answer as to which tube has the most linear response and flattest curve. I'm going to be running these with my Econowaves, JBL...
  9. wiredbecker

Freq response of "The Bottom End" M&K 1b sub?

I'm not having a lot of luck pulling up frequency response data with the built-in or Google search. Does anyone know what the freq response of "The Bottom End" M&K 1b sub is? Looks like this MK1 but has two inputs instead of one. I've been running it in a large room with the Karma...
  10. wiredbecker

Marantz 6300 Tonearm Lift Fix?

I was just working up my old 6300 and realized why I stopped using it in the first place. When you press "Up" the tonearm doesn't successfully rise off of the record. It rises very little--sort of hinting at moving upward--but it does rise. It appears as if the hydraulic oil has somehow...
  11. wiredbecker

What is this travesty?

You can take the speaker out of the circus, but you evidently can't take the circus out of the speaker. Sad really.
  12. wiredbecker

What is wrong with this TD160?

I had really hoped that all I needed to do was source a new headshell, a new cart and I'd be spinning tunes on this fine table. No such luck. Here's what I found when I was finally able to dig it out of the garage. No anti-skate magnet! Uh oh, tonearm wires usually connect to the...
  13. wiredbecker

xbart knows how to pack woofers

:thmbsp: Thanks for shipping in a timely fashion. The box was bulletproof. They arrived exactly as described.
  14. wiredbecker

Anyone recognize these big Altecs?

They look to be quite efficient if I can manage to give up the real estate in the living room.. I was thinking they might be Magnificent II's but the base of the baffle is straight not curved. Anyone have any experience with these?
  15. wiredbecker

HK Award Series A 300 listening impressions

Hello fellow toob fans, I recently acquired a functional HK Award Series A 300 amp from our little own Barter Town (Thanks Clarkson!) and set it up for a little listening over beers here at work last night driving some Zilchlab Indignias. Source was less than optimal--some unknown origin MP3s...
  16. wiredbecker

NealinNevada is one cool dude

Hand delivered a 1200 MKII TT cover to my office in San Francisco while onthe way to the ballpark with his son to enjoy a game. What a great guy to put up with hauling the cover all the way from Nevada!
  17. wiredbecker

Altec 1593C tranny question

Good day all, Quick question about the Altec 1593C monophonic amplifier. I've been doing some reading here and online and one thing remains unclear. Folks say that these amps are usually missing the transformers. I'm looking at a pair at my local junk shop that appear to be complete. Does the...
  18. wiredbecker

Anyone know how to remove a Beovox S45 woofer?

I foolishly volunteered to assist a friend with the refoaming of her woofers and I can't figure out how to get the damn things out. They appear to be held in by a plastic ring on the front of the baffle. I've already removed the retainer screws from the inside back of the removable baffle. Can...
  19. wiredbecker

Arcaidy's Kenwood KW-55 not quite as described

My $40 Kenwood KW-55 arrived well packed in a Cisco box minus the 4 EL84 Output tubes as described. Unfortunately the 7 12AX7 driver tubes were also pulled which was not described in the original ad and 1/2 of the balance knob is gone. It's not that big of a deal as 12AX7's are pretty common...
  20. wiredbecker

More Data, Less Wank. A Eulogy for Zilch.

It is with great sadness that I must inform everyone that Zilch passed away the morning of Friday February 4th due to complications from metastatic lung cancer. Know that his passing was swift and relatively painless and that he kept his sense of humor throughout the illness. When he could no...
  21. wiredbecker

DC270 supplied the goods in record time

Packaging on these 2213 JBL woofers was bombproof and they arrived well ahead of schedule. Thank you for providing me with yet another pair of excellent drivers to build with!
  22. wiredbecker

Dynaco st70 replacement power switch needed

I'd like to keep it as stock as possible. Can anyone suggest a similar replacement power switch for a st70? I'm trying to complete orders at both digikey and mouser. Thanks! Chris
  23. wiredbecker

New to me Yamaha NS 690 II's don't have tweets!

What part number Yamaha tweets should I be looking for to get these puppies up and running? The woofers need refoaming too but that shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks in advance.
  24. wiredbecker

Dynaco A40XL's followed me home

Cabinets are pretty rough with various screw holes from less than ideal wall mounting scenarios. The base of each speaker has inch thick plywood screwed on with six huge screws each as some sort of protection against wear and tear? I'm not complaining too much, they only cost me $30 and sound...
  25. wiredbecker

Finished a Flexy

Ollie was not impressed. MDF IKEA tabletops that were getting tossed at my office were re-purposed into shelves. Sourced as much All Thread as I could from the local recycle center. Broke down and bought 3' from the hardware store for $10-$15 just so I could get this done. Had a hard time...
Back
Top Bottom