Search results

1. MFaughn

Tube amp service in (Western) Colorado? or I can mail it somewhere.

I live in Glenwood Springs, CO. I have a couple of Allied / Knight 935 amps that I have been dragging around for years. I've kept them because, when they were working, I just really loved them. I used to do a bit of tinkering with these sorts of things (one of them I replaced the output...
  2. MFaughn

Get speakers from Tuscon to Colorado's Western Slope

I have been wanting a set of Snell E II for quite a while and there have been no good ones near me. There is a set in Tucson that are available but I fear shipping damage and the seller isn't terribly confident about packing them. I'm in Glenwood Springs, right off of I-70. I might also be...
  3. MFaughn

Identify these woofers in Snell E

Yeah, not touching those. I also had a look at the seller's feedback and it isn't very good. If I find myself in Denver I'll make an offer low enough to account for the need to purchase replacement woofers. The AN woofers aren't cheap but it seems that appropriate Vifa woofers are sometimes...
  4. MFaughn

Wow, I should've thought of that. You nailed it though. So, they are ostensibly decent drivers but designed for use in a very different application...in-ceiling speakers. Leads me to believe they are not going to sound their best at all in a type E cabinet.
  5. MFaughn

There is a set of Type E within driving distance. Having previously owned A/iii (for which I no longer have room), I'd like to have a nice set of Snells again. These are clearly not the original woofers. Can anyone identify them. My thought is that they are not appropriate Vifa drivers, nor...
  6. MFaughn

MCS 683-8228 replacement woofers?

Oh, I know. They're just a fun project now. I've been at this awhile, through hundreds of speakers. If / when I let them go I'll part out the original bits because I'm sure there are folks trying to keep their sets alive.
  7. MFaughn

MCS 683-8228 replacement woofers?

I recently acquired a set of these. One tweeter had already been replaced and I knew I was going to need to drop in a matched pair of something else. I tried a couple and decided on a pair of Vifa D27TG-35-06. They need to be padded down but end up sounding pretty good. I'm planning to...
  8. MFaughn

Boulder 250ae help (schematic and/or BOM)

Hello all. I recently picked up a Boulder 250ae. It was working fine. I powered it off, switched a different preamp into the chain, and switched it back on and smoke came out. Immediately powered it off. Inside, I see charring on a small plastic, box-shaped component marked R510 on the...
  9. MFaughn

How can I "re-darken" my Yamaha NS-500m cones?

Will do. They are carbon cones. Very stiff. I have put water on one cone to try and lift off some goop and it didn't soak in like a paper cone. Still may have some absorbance / porosity.
  10. MFaughn

Just ordered some ink. Actually have two sets of NS-500m woofers that could benefit from treatment. Might try a little bit of ink and a little bit of boot dye on the back of one cone as a test before going over an entire cone.
  11. MFaughn

Cool. Two votes for boot dye. Gonna try that. Thanks.
  12. MFaughn

I have a set of Yamaha NS-500m speakers (OK, actually more than one -- I love them). The woofer cones on this set look as though someone once cleaned them with something they shouldn't have. The cones are much lighter in color and are have even lighter streaks throughout. The cones are...
  13. MFaughn

Just want to say that I've run across your posts a couple of times now and am highly...

Just want to say that I've run across your posts a couple of times now and am highly appreciative to have someone with a working knowledge of chemistry joining in. If only the world would believe science...
  14. MFaughn

Where can I get felt for the face of a woofer basket?

They are speakers that almost nobody else has...Escalante Designs Juniper.
  15. MFaughn

I contacted Sutherland. They have what I want but I have to get 50ft of it at about $70. I found some 1/5" thick peel and stick sheets on Amazon. I ordered some of that. I'll cut it with a paper cutter. If it looks good then I'll call it a win. If it doesn't then I'll go for the Sutherland...
  16. MFaughn

I really want felt that is as close to original as possible. I lucked out and got some extremely nice speakers for peanuts at an estate sale. I don't want to half-ass it and it doesn't need to be a bargain. I want them to be as close to original as possible.
  17. MFaughn

I have some speakers that have woofers that are front mounted. They had felt glued over the exposed basket. I had to remove the drivers which meant removing the felt to get at the screws. I'd like to replace the felt and bring them back to more or less how they were. Is there anywhere that...
  18. MFaughn

What to do with these big 2-way corner horns?

They definitely sound great. If I weren't already in danger of a speakervalance it wouldn't be an issue; I'd just keep them. Things being what they are, they just wouldn't make it into the rotation right now.
  19. MFaughn

What to do with these big 2-way corner horns?

I picked these up yesterday. 41x24x24 (guitar for scale). D130 + 075 + N2400 in folded horns. Fun to listen to but doubtful they are keepers for me as is. I don't have corners to put them in and that D130 just doesn't dig low enough for me, even in that horn. Fine for rock, which I love...
  20. MFaughn

Using full range amp to power a sub -- XO solution?

Thanks @merdy. Sounds like those low cost low pass filters might not be the droids I'm looking for, at least now for the infinity sub. Might do fine for stuff that wasn't all that great to begin with, stuff I'd fix and give away to friends (or their teenage kids). I googled 'line level low...
  21. MFaughn

All good ideas. I do like the idea of that little TPA3116 amp better. I'll probably try one of those before those boards I linked. I have found some stuff on TechTalk about modding those boards to make them work better but I already have more than enough projects. edit (a few minutes...
  22. MFaughn

Thanks all. I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD already and I've had other electronic crossovers before. I'm looking for a *cheap* and cheerful solution. I think I'm going to try one of these.
  23. MFaughn

I have a couple of subs with dead plate amps. I also have piles of amplifiers. What I don't have is all of the circuitry that you would find in a plate amp that takes care of phase and low pass filtering. I could just put together some passive low pass filters and call it done but it would...
  24. MFaughn

How to fix broken indicator needle for Yamaha T2?

Duh, forgot that the first time. Had just taken the pic.
Back
Top Bottom