Search results

1. Old1625

Any value to this Silvertone tube radio find?

I'm restoring one now for somebody. It uses 6AC5 triodes in push pull class B for final audio stage, cathode-follower driven by a pair of 6P5s, which in turn get driven by the triode of the 6Q7 detector audio amp stage, and another 6P5 for phase inversion for the negative order driver...
  2. Old1625

Strange push pull output stage from old radio

It's just cut-corner circuit design to get push-pull on the cheap. Then there are the crazy stereos that used a combination of push pull and single ended in a three-channel configuration...
  3. Old1625

Looking for Schematics--Primaluna Prologue 3 & 5.

I have a buddy who has these devices in his current stereo setup, and he's looking for schematics for them. I've given them a listen, and they put out creditable sound with KT88s socketed. I've not shaken hands with these before, but he claims that the biasing is microprocessor controlled, so...
  4. Old1625

A Plug for SpeakerWorks.com...

I installed a high-def television set as a favor for a long-time friend and customer of mine, and for my trouble he gave me a pair of AR-6 bookshelf units. He said they were never used. And may be right, as one was still sealed in its factory carton! Despite probable disuse they still from...
  5. Old1625

Is it Vintage or not?

We could debate this until Bossie comes home. It's all relative. There are college-age kids that never saw a turntable in normal use. Some might think it has to be all vacuum tubes before it can be called vintage. Then there are those that will argue that the item you purchase at Best Buy is...
  6. Old1625

Electrolytic capacitors--recommended vendors?

Hi Folks, I'm doing repairs on tube amplifiers, and will soon be getting back into design and prototype work on such. I need to know which vendors are currently producing good and trustworthy product in electrolytic capacitors. I had bought a few bags of electrolytics in the 450WV...
  7. Old1625

You Won't Believe What I Found In An Old Console, Mac!

That's the thing with MC-30s. First one's cheap. Second one will damn near cost you your soul. I have an MC-30 somewhere...
  8. Old1625

Records That You Wouldn't Mind Never Seeing Again

All the ones mentioned I've seen. Goodying and Sallying for records is like fishing in a drainage ditch. You might get lucky but chances are not. The donors probably were getting rid of dupes, or records they didn't like anyway. Then the piles get rifled and the rare goodie taken long before...
  9. Old1625

Tube or Solid State?

In re Tube or Solid State the question is best and simplest answered by what Goya said. Ask the owner how long does it take from turning it on to getting music.
  10. Old1625

Question on tube amp/amp and speaker ohmage

With tapped secondaries the best bet is to do a bit of empirical work. Sometimes going for the higher tap works--sometimes lower--as far as sound quality is concerned. Too many variables. Common sense is indicated regarding how hard a Z-mismatched system is pushed.
  11. Old1625

Show your RS knowledge and age

That's exactly where I'm coming from. And exactly what I say to offers of help there. Unless it's a mgr with some grey on the upper slopes, who may have some decent knowledge. As for them I hope they're happy there these days, with things the way they are, and the wage they are earning...
  12. Old1625

Tell Us About The One You Let Get Away.

I let go of a pair of Allen 75s about 30 years ago. Still miss them.
  13. Old1625

What kind of business is this??!

HK made some very nice receivers and amps. That said it is still sometimes a tall order to get a repair shop to work on something that old; parts can sometimes be difficult to obtain. Most repair shops cannot be bothered with older equipment because of this.... The parts availability issue...
  14. Old1625

Please guide me through the jungle

If you're talking new there may be a decent receiver in the Onkyo/Integra line that would fit your needs. Most of the stuff appears to be several-channel A/V type but there may still be a 2-channel in the lot. The Marantz mentioned may be OK as well--although I've never heard one.... If you...
  15. Old1625

6L6 Mono organ amp Identification?

Maybe a 5T4 for rectifier....? Metal, and slender enough to clear the transformer--although it is indeed a head-scratcher that the rectifier should be located that close to the power transformer anyway.... Just seems like a lotta iron for a 5Y3-powered unit... I'm curious as to the...
  16. Old1625

Sometimes it's just not your day

Tom Bavis has the #s down pat. Tube lots can be a lottery. Usually the bulk of the tubes are best suited for someone who likes to restore late-model tube-type television sets. But for the service tech encountering the occasional TV/Stereo console back in the day there would probably not be...
  17. Old1625

6L6 Mono organ amp Identification?

Gut reaction is that it is either a part of an early PA system...or perhaps even part of a carillon amplifier system. Common in those days was the practice of using auxiliary booster amps for larger installations--hence the connection seen on the apron... I'm going through my memory of the...
  18. Old1625

In this heat, does your air conditioner ever get in the way of your listening?

I was visiting a friend, and we were heading out to ManCave to listen to some tunes. The glass was warming up, the A/C running, and all was right with the world...until the pole-pig bit the shed and all went dark. So instead we were entertained by the circus act put on by the power company...
  19. Old1625

What is it with people & their damned candles?

Wax on, wax off, Daniel-san.
  20. Old1625

Hillbilly computer audio...

This is what I am using for sound for the PC. I'm running it dry off the line out. When I made this oddball the "cutting-edge" computer here was an Osborne Executive. (I still have that relic, too.) (Hope this upload works...)
  21. Old1625

Remember when . . . ?

This sums it up. If a store is to survive it must change with the times. We "tinkerers" are far more outnumbered by the "sheep" these days than ever before. As a result RadioShack has degenerated in the eyes of us electronics DIY-ers. But at least RS still exists. Gone are all the other...
  22. Old1625

What year did phono inputs start vanishing?

I agree with you that RIAA was a good compromise, and that the older labels will play to satisfaction for most with the standardized reproducer curve. Of course one has to consider recording practices on average in those days as compared to those of present. A slight deviation from the...
  23. Old1625

Tube amps are dangerous and inefficient ??

I wouldn't bring any tube gear for repair to such a tech, if that be his attitude. But that doesn't mean that he is a bad technician, or crackers for that matter. If the quoting is accurate I'd have to say that everything the tech said is right. Tube equipment can draw a lot of juice to...
  24. Old1625

I think I just kicked the habit

It's not necessarily bad to use an EQ. After all corrections possible are made to the listening space and equipment then an eek might be used sparingly to make the final tweaks. Spectral analysis is an impartial way to do this, but it doesn't always result in a sound that will make the user...
  25. Old1625

Summer time Solid State system..

Looks like that set-up should do ya.
Back
Top Bottom