Search results

1. automojo

recap? ess amt bookshelf

I apologize for the rambling!!:) So high quality EL (MDL@ Madisound) caps (or minimum Standard Z caps) in everything except the 2.2uf. A Janzten superior Z here. Mills for the Heil Circuit-100 watt wire wound (amazon has them for the 20 ohm woofer resistor.
  2. automojo

recap? ess amt bookshelf

Sorry for the change-I missed the crossover schematic. The 15uf and 50 uf caps won't make as big of difference as the 2.2uf-but they still will effect the sound in part. Try to use the best caps you can afford here-at least a Standard Z. But if you can't afford to splurge-you will be fine-it's...
  3. automojo

recap? ess amt bookshelf

The crosscaps are ok. Standard Z's caps are way better. As mentioned-if you can swing it-Superior Z's for the 2.2uf For the 50uf and 15uf-either Clarity CSA, Solens, or Standard Z cap-as they are on the Heil leg. The 100uf I would run a electrolytic cap.
  4. automojo

recap? ess amt bookshelf

Agreed. They can also be 'half blown'-low output/noisy. Make sure the fuse is not by-passed and correct value. Should be a fast blow as well. FIY-esp if these are older diaphragms-you should plan on getting 2 new ones. Otherwise they most likely will have different output levels, These can be...
  5. automojo

ESS AMT model and recap questiond

As far as caps for the Heil-(once the diaphragms are replaced) I would look at the Jantzen Superior Z's. Agreed on the woofer caps-Jantzen El's should be fine. Mills, or the new Dayton resistors. These are great sounding speakers once refurbed/refoamed. It takes a bit of work to get the...
  6. automojo

ESS AMT-3 - Where to start?

Hopefully the mid has a l-pad. With the Alpha 6A-you want to turn the l-pad so the driver is basically just coming on. Other wise you will have a overload of mids-that messes everything up. I have found 2 friends with their Alpha 6's cranked up. Not good! This is a transition driver-not a mid in...
  7. automojo

Panasonic Thrusters: How bad are they? Let's find out!

IMHO-the Thrusters where what they were. I heard plenty of them. And Bose. Schaack Omega 300's etc. Consol stereos etc. No sense making them anything they weren't-even with the stories. None of them where hifi-midfi at best. I think everyone knew that-even teenagers. Today-why even bother with...
  8. automojo

Best Crossover Capacitors

Nice! The next cap on my list is the Jantzen Alumens. Not sure when-most of my speaker projects are winding down. Just a set of Infinity RSiiia's-when I get the time, and my kids set of Hitmakers. Infinities are using Superior Z's, both mid/Emit bypassed with Dueland .1uf copper bypass caps. I'm...
  9. automojo

But interesting enough_I'm going to use these new Dayton resistors with a Peerless dome, in a up coming P.E/Paul Carmody Hitmakers project for my kids-their keyboard with a simple old Peachtree Decco amp. Clarity CSA Caps for the woofer/mid, and Mundorf Evo Oils for the Peerless dome tweet. I'm...
  10. automojo

Sure-yes-in general. They are definitely as good-Mills seem to a slight warmth to them-not sure why. It's not offensive by any means-I like them with the Great Heil. The Dayton's are less colored. These differences are noticeable-but not major by any means. IMHO not worth going a different...
  11. automojo

ESS amt 1am Crossover Help

12. automojo

But-getting back to caps-use Gee's guide to match the cap to your requirements. You don't have to spend a ton of money to really improve your speakers, and your listening experience. The old excuse-"well manufactures would"-no not usually-we see the relatively low quality caps on a regular...
  13. automojo

Ha-thanks-that was from way back!!“I never gave a damn about the meter man, till I was the man, who had to read the meters, man.” M. Watt Sure-I think some mistake the failing cap sound for Golden Years-full bodied music. Eh.. The easiest way to distinguish this-I have found-is lack of...
  14. automojo

Do you run stereo bass?

Sure The more subs you run-the more midbass detail you loose. But hey, at least all the earwax you had building up is now on the listening room floor. Invest in a set a full range speakers and kick the subs to the curb. Your ears will be glad you did... IMHO, for music subs work best when the...
  15. automojo

As far as caps-I like Jantzen Superior Z's. And bypass w/Dueland copper foil .1uf bypass caps. As Gee states-this moves them up +2.
  16. automojo

My take is-those you claim they can't hear a difference never either have stuck with the same brand of cap, or aren't being honest. Do a simple-inexpensive test. Try a Benic/Dayton poly-and compare it to a Solen Fast cap-on a tweeter. I'm not a fan of Solen for mids/tweets-they sound obviously...
  17. automojo

Do you run stereo bass?

Subwoofers? SUBWOOFERS?! We don't need your stinking subwoofers!!!! No necesitamos tus apestosas subwoofers....
  18. automojo

Do you run stereo bass?

Stereo bass?? Sure! Twin 10" woofers in each of my Mojo ESS AMT3's and Infinity RSiiia's? (Sealed bass-no honking/hooting/chuffing ports!!) What else would one need for bass?
  19. automojo

Just a thought You might want to double check all the solder connections, make sure there’s no cold joints, etc. The connection on the mid capacitor certainly looks suspect.
  20. automojo

Sweet!
  21. automojo

They should sound excellent! The Polydax-even today is one of the finest midwoofers out there. Plus your bass is a sealed box. A win/win IMHO!:)
  22. automojo

https://partsconnexion.com/collections/duelund-capacitor-collection/products/duelund-0-1uf-600vdc-jdm-cu-pure-copper-foil-capacitor?_pos=3&_fid=a6cf3d827&_ss=c
Back
Top Bottom