Search results

1. T

Adding bass tone control between my amp and RS2.5

Also keep an eye on the Audio Asylum trading section, Audiogon and US Audio Market. I think 2 sets of 2.5s have popped-up on US Audio Market in the last 7 months.
  2. T

Adding bass tone control between my amp and RS2.5

Have you done a listening study based on how far you sit from the speakers and where they are placed in the room? I haven't added bass traps and may never do it but one thing is for certain, there is a bass cancellation node in my room. I typically sit 9 - 11 feet away and the bass is...
  3. T

Infinity RS1.5 - Amp Eater?

My RS-1.5s cause a Jeff Rowland 112 amp (150 watts @ 8 Ohms and 275 watts @ 4 Ohms) to pop its breakers when the volume is pushed past ~ 85 db at ~ 3 meters distance. The Rowland amp is known for having difficulty with speakers that have big impedance dips. The RS-1.5s have the Watkins woofers...
  4. T

She's dead Jim! Technics SE-A5Mk2

I've been digging for either an NOS relay or the spec sheet on the Panasonic SSY9 Reed Relay but no luck so far. I contacted both Panasonic and the Technics division and both no longer have the specification sheet available for the relay. All that I can say is it is rated for 24 volts. Any...
  5. T

RS1.5 Watkins refoam

Do you mean SAE 2401? I've never heard of a 2410 model. The 2401 definitely has more testicular fortitude than the Jeff Rowland 112. I may also be having troubles in the crossovers (crapped-up rheostats) or maybe even need to run a dedicated line to get more out of the 112 amp. If the 112...
  6. T

RS1.5 Watkins refoam

Juice is the key with these speakers; you have to have a high current amp to drive them. My Jeff Rowland 112 can drive the RSMs easily to ear-bleeding levels but its breakers pop with RS-1.5s when the SPL reaches 86 - 88 dB measured at ~ 10 feet away. Jeff Rowland offered a 7 amp breaker...
  7. T

I think that is quite possible. It's also quite possible that an NOS relay can be found too if enough time is spent searching the internet (Ebay, Jauce, etc.) as well as making connections on discussion forums. I'm just going to set the amp aside in the back room and revisit it after I get...
  8. T

Watkins woofer destroyed

I thought Watkins Stereo made new replacement drivers. The refoaming section of their website says they make them but the price isn't cheap ($750 per pair): http://www.watkinsstereo.com/refoaming.html Look near the bottom of the page for the statement on Watkins drivers. If they no longer...
  9. T

Well, the results are in and she truly is dead. AV Electronics found the key roadblock to bringing the amp back to life was a fried Reed Relay. The relay is obsolete and they could not find any in stock through the sources they use to service stereo equipment. They did say that the smart fix...
  10. T

Infinity RS-1.5 Broken Grille Guides

I picked-up a pair of RS-1.5s and they sound terrific. The cosmetic condition of the speakers is also excellent except that all 4 of the grille guide posts are broken off on one speaker and one out of four on the other is on its last legs. What have you guys done to fix busted guides/posts? I...
  11. T

I spoke to Dennis at AV Electronics and he said he was willing to take a look at the amp. He summarized it as "We can diagnose the problem but there is no guarantee that we can fix it" (implication being that there could be some other root cause that is also a piece of unobtanium). I'll take...
  12. T

This really is a superb amp - very detailed and quite aggressive (fast transients and bass slam). The amp had what I would call a "two stage" failure. Stage 1 was one day, I turned-on the amp and immediately heard a light pop noise come from both speakers and it could play music immediately...
  13. T

I have not been using the DC connectors. I am certain the Technics preamp is functioning properly. When the Technics power amp went into full failure mode, I swapped in a McIntosh MC2105 amp for a while and everything worked great. The only reason I replaced the Technics preamp and McIntosh...
  14. T

There are 4 permutations on output selection: Mains ON with Remote OFF Mains OFF with Remote ON Mains and Remote ON Mains and Remote OFF Since I've been making measurements on the power amp isolated from all other sources, the output selection has been set at "Mains and Remote OFF." What...
  15. T

Here you go: Q601 B was - 62.1 mV for ~ 3 seconds then jumps to + 0.746 V before and after the "auto" light illuminated C was - 0.581 V for ~ 3 seconds then jumps of + 5.8 mV before "auto" light illuminated C was + 6.1 mV after "auto" light illuminated (steady) E was + 0.0 mV for ~ 3 seconds...
  16. T

Here is the longer post I referred to. I decided to measure what was happening at every pin on the MN1404STE chip. Here are the findings: Pin #1 + 0.8 mV before the "auto" light illuminated (steady) + 2.0 mV after the "auto" light illuminated (steady) Pin #2 + 76 - 77...
  17. T

Yes, I was able to measure those per your request and it was easy to do on the transistor legs. Here are the results: Q504 B was + 17.48 - 17.49 V before and after the "auto" light illuminated C was + 28.07 - 28.33 V before "auto" light illuminated (there was a bit of fluctuation in...
  18. T

I did post on the Pin 12 measurements but accidentally reported the values in milliVolts. Pin #12 gave 5.14 V before the "auto" light illuminated and 5.15 V after illumination. Stay tuned for a longer post on a lot of other measured values before drawing a conclusion.
  19. T

Sorry about that. You are right; the measurements were Volts, not milliVolts. I must have suffered a brainurysm. LOL
  20. T

Pin 9 = 5.39 - 5.41 mV Pin 12 = 5.14 - 5.15 mV Both measurements remained constant before and after the "computer drive auto" light turned on.
  21. T

Do you mean pins 9 and 12 on the MN1404STE chip? There are multiple 9 and 12 numbered connection points on the service manual schematics.
  22. T

I should add that the measurements I reported in my two previous replies were done with the input knobs set to MAX but no preamp or speakers were connected. Just want to be thorough in case that makes a difference.
  23. T

No blinking of the safety LED at all. Here are the ceramic resistor readings: R373 = 0.0 mV to - 0.2 mV R374 = Mostly 0.0 mV with occasional blips to -0.5 mV R375 = + 8.5 mV to + 8.7 mV R376 = + 11.2 mV to + 12.0 mV R377 = - 8.5 mV to - 9.0 mV R378 = - 1,8 mV upon initial contact then slowly...
  24. T

Concerning the "pop" event during early stage of failure, I would hear that through both speakers as soon as the amp was turned on (no delay at all). The safety operation light would never blink but the amp could play music right away. The relay click that normally occurs after the safety...
  25. T

I used to be a professional auto mechanic, have built plenty of models, built a Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp and rebuilt my Infinity RSM woofers (foam surrounds) and recapped the crossovers so I would say "yes" to having some basic DIY skills. However, I do not have signal generators or an...
Back
Top Bottom