Search results

1. RGA

Academy Awards 2024

The Academy Awards will be aired on March 10th. Oppenheimer is the heavy favourite to win a slew of awards - including Best Picture. I have also seen several of the other categories this year and will provide my "If I Picked the Wnners" list (Inspired by Siskel and Ebert's annual "If We Picked...
  2. RGA

Unboxing the $150,000US Audio Note UK Ongaku and

Let's see how the other half lives. My session with the Audio Note Meishu Tonmeister Phono (300B Integrated). Probably the best that 300B can offer. You gotta love the cheap ass box it comes in. Still, the best-sounding integrated amplifier I have auditioned. Not the top of the line anymore -...
  3. RGA

Master Class in Audio FT. Peter Qvortrup (Audio Note UK)

I have enjoyed Audio Note gear for years as have many others. Some of you will enjoy how Peter got started in audio and eventually creating one of the most successful audio equipment companies in the world . His also has interesting takes on the history of audio as well as vintage gear. I...
  4. RGA

The Hong Kong Audio Experience

I have lived in Hong Kong for the last 9 years and I posted a short post many years ago in the New Value thread but I think it may have more general interest that that. I will update with photos that I have taken directly but some of you might enjoy seeing some of the videos and pictures of the...
  5. RGA

Audio Note TT3 arrived - for fans of Suspended Tables -

Audio Note's Peter Qvortrup in the mid 1990s bought out Systemdek and Voyd Reference. He upgraded the tables with better motors and and rebadged the SystemDek IIs as Audio Note TT1. He made a two motor version and called it - aptly TT2 for 2 motors. If you remember the Voyd Reference if was a...
  6. RGA

A Million Tubes

Here is a factory tour where Audio Note UK's owner walks AudioFederation (a dealer importer in California) through the plant. Peter Qvortrup (AN UK's owner) has amassed a helluva lot of tubes. But there is a lot of tube discussion and at 24 minutes Peter walks through the staggering drool...
  7. RGA

Audio Note K/Spe

Well an old friend is making a return - I owned the Audio Note K/Spe back in 2003 for a short lived 6 months before trading up to Audio Note J/Spe speakers and living with those for the next 13 years. But opportunity knocked and I was able to trade my KEF LS-50 and cash for a set of second hand...
  8. RGA

Audio Note New Factory Tour - Where they still build em like they used to.

I have long been an Audio Note fan for many many reasons but the main one is that they are built by hand and unlike the vast majority of companies (even high end expensive ones) they build and design most of the parts inside the units. Even big names buy most if not all of their internal parts...
  9. RGA

For Quad fans but with beer budgets...

I auditioned a nice little new monitor from these guys the other day - in spite of a bad room, bad set-up (10 other speakers beside and behind them) and being run with a receiver (and not a great one at that) they sounded nicely open and not bright. They sell here in Hong Kong for about $600 US...
  10. RGA

Finally doing home theater...Questions...

My last home theater receiver was a flagship Pioneer Elite VSX95 circa 1995. I have rearranged my living space to put my system on the short wall. I have purchased a new 60 inch TV from Sony on close-out W850B which will replace my 37inch Samsung. I picked up a relatively inexpensive...
  11. RGA

Preamp shootout: Line Magnetic, Melody Audio, Rogue Audio...and

Finally had the chance to do the long awaited preamp shootout. For the listening session my Line Magnetic 219IA Integrated amplifier was switched into power amp mode for the test. I used an SPL meter at the listening chair to have a baseline such that volume would not impact the results - as...
  12. RGA

Turntable hunt

One of the things on my soon to get list (soon as in the next couple of months) is a turntable. I am planning on a high end rig down the line but I'm kind of looking at a tide me over budget deck.' I've had some Duals and Rega 2 clone and to be honest I'm not a big fan of the Rega...
  13. RGA

Heading to Vegas for a week...Any Audio Stores...

You guys can recommend worth checking out? Preferably near the strip as I won't have a car. And if anything in particular you guys like at said stores you think I should check out that would be good too. Always looking to hear new stuff. Not a lot of shows going on during my stay. I...
  14. RGA

Tubes and opinions...

So I have been doing a touch of tube rolling on the preamp stage of my 219IA which uses the 12AX7. This tube type certainly has detractors - a reviewer on my staff actually despises the 12AX7 and his warning to me was to avoid any amp that uses 12AX7 as a preamp tube. Different strokes...
  15. RGA

Another Audio Day in Hong Kong...

So listening to several systems I found a few standouts.
  16. RGA

Line Magnetic 502CA DAC is on the way...

After weighing the 515 CD player and the 502CA the DAC made more sense since the 515 and the 215 have the exact same transport mechanism it made no sense to buy the transport again. Will be delivered next week. So much music on the computer and have been itching to play it. :D
  17. RGA

One Product of the Year to the next - what is next for you?

As some of you know I own the KEF LS-50 but my next speaker is going to likely be the Audio Note E/Spx with Alnico drivers. And wouldn't you know it, it just won loudspeaker of the year AN E with AN's dealer Nellie Davis (photo from audiofederation.com) I feel so unoriginal - but at...
  18. RGA

New Separates from Line Magnetic...

Some new separates - I'm interested in a preamp so this one may fit the bill And their new 845 Monoblock power amps (160 watts per channel) Models LM512CA & LM519PA respectively
  19. RGA

KEF LS-50 Arrived Today

The KEF LS-50s arrived today and in the process of breaking in. I have not been too thrilled with based on SS amplifier auditions and many places sell them are pretty shoddy with set-up. So I took the gamble and ordered up a pair on the hope that my 219IA and CD-215 and AN cables can salvage...
  20. RGA

My 219IA scared the ^&&% out of me last night.

For old hats at tube amps you will no doubt be laughing at me - Hey I've owned an EL84 puny tube amp in the OTO for 8 years. One day my OTO's preamp tube gave up the ghost. It got a bit red and sounded a bit scratchy. I forgot about it and the next time I turned it on it got much brighter and...
  21. RGA

I have a chance to buy a Pioneer PL1250 or Technics SL1210 turntable.

I'm not new to turntables having owned a quite good Audio Note TT2/Arm 3/IQ3 (currently a $5,500 turntable system). However it was a belt drive dual motor turntable and when I moved to Hong Kong I was forced to sell it as it wasn't dual voltage nor would it work on Asia's frequency. Audio...
  22. RGA

A day in Hong Kong: Line Magnetic, Audio Note, Shindo, Orpheus.

I noted in another thread that I would be doing a pretty big shootout today and that was not quite what happened sadly as the fellow I was going to meet could not make it. However, I was fortunate enough to have an alternate arrangement and went to another audiophile's home to listen to his...
  23. RGA

Melody AN 211 VS Line Magnetic 219IA - Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!!

Picture Line Magnetic 218IA (left) and 219Ia (Right) Today was the day to try out two wonderful amplifiers. A little back story. I came to the world of SET when I first heard the Audio Note Meishu years ago which sounded so fundamentally right it basically reduced every SS amplifier...
  24. RGA

Matt Smith leaves Doctor WHo... Who's the next Who?

It's that time again where the Doctor will regenerate in the Christmas Special and it's time to choose the next doctor. http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/06/doctor-who-matt-smith-leaves/ First up is the usual discussion about the next Doctor being female. I am okay with the idea so long as...
  25. RGA

RE: Audio Note and the price ratio of high priced gear.

I read a closed thread here with a member asking a question about the high prices of some gear. "Um...I asked to understand what parts and procedures they used to build the thing. If that's snobbery then I guess I'm guilty as charged. If they hand-wind, hand-solder, hand-wire...
Back
Top Bottom