Search results

1. beans

Sony TC-377 Erase head burned my finger

Got this 377 as a parts unit S/N 24318 (early model) and got it all working, or so I thought. Made some recordings but noticed the old tape signal wasn't being erased completely. Then I noticed the erase head was getting hot enough to burn my finger. The problem is with the left channel only. I...
  2. beans

My Stanton Dream Dashed

Grabbed a rough Technics turntable at a pawn shop for $40 with a Stanton cartridge that i had hoped was an 881S due to the white housing. It turned out to be a 680EL with a bent cantilever. I bought it anyway knowing I could easily upgrade it. So I am hoping to get suggestions on what where and...
  3. beans

Fisher CA-122 worth repairing?

I can get this integrated for practically nothing but I can't find anything about it. The ad just says "can't seem to get any audio from it" but that the meters and lights all work. Judging from the meters in the picture it is likely rated 30 WPC. Any info would be appreciated!
  4. beans

What would you do with this beautiful dog?

This is my companion, Baxter: I don't think he can be my companion much longer. I love him and vice versa, but he's too dangerous. He's a rescue dog, and he's paranoid, very protective, very territorial. My daughter was there when I decided to foster him, and she will be devastated if he...
  5. beans

Pro-Bowl nose tackle Bob Golic into vintage?

I was watching NFL Network today and caught Golic being interviewed for one of their Top 10 list shows and spotted something familiar on his bookcase in the background. I'm assuming he was at home at the time: He just went way up in my book :thmbsp:
  6. beans

Pioneer RT-707 wow & flutter BAD

This machine has become unlistenable with all the shakiness in the drive train. It is direct drive, so I guess the 1st thing I'll do is check the motor and lubricate. Could it be the drive circuit? Is it possible the motor has to replaced? I've never really torn in to a 707 so I just thought I'd...
  7. beans

RIP: The worst name in celebrity history - Dick Trickle

Not a big racing fan here, but everyone remembers his name. Anyone think they knowwhy he did this to himself? What a loss... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/05/16/dick-trickle-death-gunshot-2013/2169895/
  8. beans

RT-909 belt off-track, left channel recording problem

I've put a lot into this deck trying to do a complete restoration including re-capping. Now when I record on it, the left channel is weak, noisy, and distorted. I'm afraid I may have damaged one of the polystyrene caps on the main board because it's close to one of the 'lytics I replaced in the...
  9. beans

RT-909 Franken-deck control logic. Need help.

I'm almost done restoring this deck but it has developed problems after a power spike that also took out the rectifier tube of my Dynaco amp. I had it in service for a while, but not anymore! After the power spike none of the motors would run, but I just got that fixed. I found a dead diode and...
  10. beans

Reel-to-reel tape swap - contents poll

What the hell am I doing? All we can do now is give a rating... DOH! EDIT: Is there a way to put 7 separate polls in one thread... one for each AKer in the swap? Then we could use a 4 or 5 point rating system to vote on.
  11. beans

AAAAHH!!! I got no steenking brakes! (ReVox B77)

When I got by B77 MkII working again, I relined the reel brakes with a material I got from, I think, our friend in Italy (AKer). It didn't seem to help the brakes work better so I tightened up the spring tensioners all the way. I used it last night and the brakes were not doing much of anything...
  12. beans

Relic of the tape era overlap w/ intro of digital

I NEVER knew this existed: http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-Reel-Media-Center-REEL-REEL-recorder-cd-player-/320599488371?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aa537f773 Not mine; no affiliation
  13. beans

TEAC E-1 demagnetizer test

How can I be sure this unit is safe and effective? It came with a deck that I bought from a friend and just never used it... it's high time. The instructions say an alarm sound will come on when you push the ON switch, but I didn't hear it. All I can hear is a faint buzz when right up to my...
  14. beans

Many thanks to donno

Thanks, Don! I got the RT-707 PB's yesterday... very, very nice of you! :banana:
  15. beans

Reel-to-reel seller/user FAIL

What's wrong with the picture? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320562193839&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT No affiliation (obviously)
  16. beans

"Step Right Up"

Most of you have heard the 1976 Tom Waits classic Step Right Up, a concept I've never heard before or since. It starts with a groove played with brushes on drums and acoustic bass that just repeats over and over the whole time. But the lyrics... if you can all them that... are nothing but a...
  17. beans

Another list: Songs that mention "obsloete" audio gear

... such as records, turntables, and tape recorders. I heard this one the other day which is what got me thinking about this: Life During War Time - Talking Heads Also, Bullfrog Blues by David Bromberg. That one was mentioned and quoted a long time ago, in a Bromberg thread.
  18. beans

Samsung theater in a box for Christmas

I'm at my brother's house and he bought this Samsung BluRay theater in a box HT-BD1200. Looks kinda chintzy especially the center spkr. Anyone know about this before we open 'er up? I really want to tell him I'll go with him back to the box store it came from so we can both listen to it before...
  19. beans

Has anyone ever fixed a warped plastic reel?

Thanks to AKer Nat I am the proud owner of a half dozen or so classics on pre-recorded R2R tapes. I knew that Nat could not test them and he explained the shape the covers were in. The ones I've listened to sound great, especially "Made In Japan". You'd swear you were listening to an original...
  20. beans

Houston CL - nice & cheap

Anybody around H-town seen this? http://collegestation.craigslist.org/ele/1272844525.html I've tried emailing for days and get no response. All I want is the speakers and the Kenny. After all "it was really great stuff 20 years ago!!" :D How's that Kenny look? I'm thinking $150 for just that...
  21. beans

Chickenfoot

This is the new "supergroup" Sammy Hagar flung together with Joe Satriani and Michael Anthony. I picked it up at Best Buy yesterday... on vinyl! Haven't had a chance to listen to much of it but it mostly sounds like a Van Halen album from the Hagar era. One cool aspect is the heat-sensitive...
  22. beans

The Needle Doctor - great service, great folks!

Here's a shout out to Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor web store. I don't know Jerry, but Matt has been tremendous making sure I got everything I needed when replacing the cartridge on my ProJect Debut turntable. I wanted to try a Stanton 681 on it because I've had good experience with it and from I...
  23. beans

Any vintage Mc users using PANLOC system? Pls post pics

My Mac gear is from the '80s and I'd like to design a new shelf system that has an adjustable panel to which I can bolt PANLOC rails. It will be big enough to mount an MR78, a C33, and an amp the size of, say, a MC2255 (which I don't have... YET). I don't yet have a C33 either, and may never...
  24. beans

Found my old 681EEE-S stylus... Disappointment

Naturally I wanted to try this S-type stylus in my 681EEE Mk3 cartridge body but it sounded very dull compared to the "hyper-elliptical" it came with. Does this mean it's worn out, or that I shouldn't expect it to work in the Mk3 body to begin with?
  25. beans

Electrical storm took out my XP box

I'm having to use my wife's laptop for this because after the big storm Friday night my XP machine is kaput. I have it plugged into a battery backup that did its job long enough so I could shut it down properly after the lights went out but when they came back on, NOTHING.... pushed the power ON...
Back
Top Bottom