Search results

1. Lux Man

Cannabis and weight loss

So there is this guy I know who has lost almost 30lbs. since he started partaking as a sleep aide about 2 years ago. He went from 183 to 155. This is the only known change in lifestyle. Other than the weight loss he is in near perfect health other than this weight loss. He realizes there could...
  2. Lux Man

How many years of your life would you give up?

Background to my question: my dad is 95 and I have had other friends who made it to their 90's. It's hard in some cases to see the changes and limitations on so many levels that happen with age. So here is my question for you to ponder. How many years off the end of your life would you be...
  3. Lux Man

Beer cheese soup

Every now and then I just have to make up a batch. Sometimes it’s OK at the local tavern or bar if you can find a place that has some good beer cheese soup but I prefer my own. What I think is interesting is apparently it might be just a Midwestern thing. I asked a friend out in California...
  4. Lux Man

Onsemi MJE15028 vs MJE15030 what’s the difference? (Son of Ampzilla)

I realize the 30 is rated for a higher CEO and CB voltage but they both are limited to 50w so if your supply voltage is limited to 50-60v does it really matter which is used? Im not understanding why the 28 part wouldn’t be just fine in this scenario of a limitation of 50-60v. I realize watts...
  5. Lux Man

Just one little gesture of "nice"

The other day I pulled up to a red light and there was a car in front of me so I couldn't make my right turn. The dude in front of me saw my blinker and he pulled ahead so I could make my turn. Now you might think it was nothing but in my world there just doesn't seem to be much niceness going...
  6. Lux Man

Hafler DH-500 when shouldn't I pass it up?

Just hypothetically speaking, suppose if a guy didn't have a spare high power amplifier but would need one if his other amp ever had to go on the bench. And just suppose there were one of these Haflers were available somewhere out there in the world. "Assuming'' it hasn't been hosed up and still...
  7. Lux Man

Luxman L309V Service manual parts list v.s. what’s really on the board

I’ve been going through a Luxman L309V, and recently used the parts description to order all the electrolytics on the amp boards. What are rude surprise last night when I pulled the boards out and didn’t have the parts that I needed because the parts description was wrong in 3 of 5 of the caps...
  8. Lux Man

Integrated amplifier with pre-out protection?

I have bought several nice integrated amps (Luxman, Sansui) hoping to use them only as a preamp however so far it’s just too dangerous. The internal power supply takes a few seconds to stabilize and unfortunately during that period of time the pre-out sees voltages upwards in the 1+ volt...
  9. Lux Man

Cause of the two main transistor failures

In another thread of mine, someone suggested that the type of transistor failure could be a clue as to the cause. He asked, did it fail open did it fail short and which junction? I would love to understand this more can someone please educate me?
  10. Lux Man

AC line voltage

Just so you know the rational behind my question which is “ how high is too high? I’m in the U.S. so 120vac is the norm. I discovered that my variac boosts the voltage . When its meter says 120 it’s actually 138 arena. I’m working on a power amplifier and I’m wondering if it popped the output...
  11. Lux Man

This is what happens when you dip your stick(probe) where it doesn’t belong.

I have a personality issue, which makes it extremely difficult for me to admit my mistakes. However, in this case, since no one knows me, hopefully you can learn from me. This amplifier was for all intents and purposes just fine but I got it in my head to try to make it just a little bit better...
  12. Lux Man

Use amp for signal tracing?

I have a receiver that the output of one channel is somewhere between three and 6DB, lower than the other channel. I am attempting to trace the signal from the input to the internal amplifier. I am pretty convinced that the internal amplifiers are OK, and the issue resides somewhere between the...
  13. Lux Man

Nude pictures of a Carver Signature 600

600 watts into 8 ohms. 8- Onsemi MJL 1302 and 8-MJL 3281’s on each side. A monster toroid in the middle. It runs absolutely cool no matter how hard I drive my Jbl 4435’s. I always wanted to know what was under the hood. I’ve had it 5-6 years as my daily driver.
  14. Lux Man

basic electronic circuit question

Please see the attached. I am going to refer to the 150ohm 3W resistor on the left side attached to the emitter of Q1. I measure 6 volts across the 150 ohm resistor which is just 40ma. (.25W) The resistor really does measure 150ohms. Why/how can this resistor get very hot with so little current...
  15. Lux Man

Help please power supply question. Luxman l309

How the heck can I get 90-93 volts per side out of a full wave bridge with 135vac input?? see attached. I’ve been torturing myself for a week. I realize I do have a bigger issue with the negative side which I’ve been unable to figure out. Thoughts? I’ve replaced all the electrolytics and...
  16. Lux Man

Atopic dermatitis ads

What’s up with these tremendously creepy atopic dermatitis ads I’m seriously considering leaving audio karma never to return. They simply creep me out! I realize Audiokarma needs to raise money, but those are sick. Every time I see one I’m afraid I’m gonna have nightmares.
  17. Lux Man

Giving the voice-coils a workout

Sitting here listening to my system and primarily focusing on my speakers I’m realizing that I will never be able to afford anything appreciatively better than what I have for the rest of my life. In fact it’s probably pretty true of the rest of what I have in audio gear. It’s an eye opener-...
  18. Lux Man

EDM/Electronic music

Forgive me there’s other threads on this but my search function isn’t working. Okay I’m 66, I’ll start there. My son sent me a few samples on Spotify a month ago. I used those tracks to branch out to other artists. So after a few weeks of diving into that world and in my mind it is a different...
  19. Lux Man

My life lesson I hope I never forget

My wife of 38 years was dealt the cancer card as have just way too many others. We’re half way through 6 months of chemo but this thread is not about her it’s about those who love someone who has the C word or someone close to you has it. So what do you do? To make my point I hope I never say...
  20. Lux Man

AU-7900 pops when powering off

I did read thru this entire thread https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-au-7900-big-pop-when-powered-off-only-with-tone-control-on.790126/ my situation is similar but different. If I use the 7900 all by itself, preamp and amp connected I get zero pop when I turn it on/off no...
  21. Lux Man

Good-bye AK

I have throughly enjoyed being here since 2007. I’m not a big contributor but have tried to be helpful when I could. I’m not a significant player here so I won’t be missed but for those who remain try to be kind to others. Unfortunately my experience here just recently reflects the attitudes...
  22. Lux Man

Careful! Jbl 4430’s in Minnesota

Not mine- https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ele/d/cambridge-vintage-jbl-modell-4430/7493364888.html
  23. Lux Man

Who has a “new” great toaster?

I want a toaster that makes great toast. Equally brown on both sides and when making 2 batches, the second one looks the same as the first. We tried a new one but the second batch is much darker than the first. We prefer a 2 slot not 4. I brought home 4 one time and all were returned. Help!
  24. Lux Man

Ever felt the stabbing pain of a knife in your back?

I'm 64 so you would think I'd learned this lesson but nope - you'd be wrong. I absolutely knew you only share things with those you trust and then one day you find out you didn't know someone as well as you thought you did. Be careful brothers and sisters- if there is the "slightest" shred of...
  25. Lux Man

Love Sandwich Supreme

Maybe you saw my "please forgive me" thread regarding bacon in a cheese sandwich. You were all so supportive and kind therefore I am going to share with you a simple sandwich I created for my kids when they were young, they and I still enjoy it today. I called it my "love snadwich supreme"...
Back
Top Bottom