Search results

1. RWood

Scott 355R Low Volume on FM

New to me Scott 355R. After a DeOxit treatment and passed DBT I tried out the receiver. It comes out of protection nicely and plays fine on Aux and AM. I haven't tried Phono yet, but FM has very low volume. It does appear to tune in stations but with the Vol control max'd it sounds as if it's on...
  2. RWood

Test point jacks for Meter Probes

Could someone post a Mouser link to the kind of panel mount jack that you stick a meter probe into? I want to install them in this Fisher amp. I’ve ordered wrong in the past and now I’m confused about the size. Thanks, Dick
  3. RWood

KLH 21 Repair

Hi, I’m hoping to get some ideas on this new-to-me Model 21. Inpired by @gogofast ‘s thread. It plays, then stops, then later on it plays again. i unboxed it a few days ago and it was completely silent - no power supply noise or anything. I opened it up, looked around and nothing obvious...
  4. RWood

Adding Bypass Caps to Cathode Balance Pot

Here’s one channel of a Zenith 7D31. I like being able to balance the cathodes of the power tubes, but with no bypass cap the amp sounds anemic. I am wondering if I could either bypass the fixed capacitor in the tail of the balance pot (125R) or use two caps per channel and go from each cathode...
  5. RWood

Adding Feedback to a SE Guitar Amp

Hi folks, This is a homebrew amp of mine built from various console parts. So far it sounds really good but slightly gritty, owing to the lack of any negative feedback. i am looking for how to add it to this circuit. The topology is Input Triode > Pentode > Cathode Follower > Tone Stack > SE...
  6. RWood

X101B Cathode Voltage Too Low

Hi folks, This one has my buddy an me stumped. We work on a lot of gear and usually figure it out but we need some help here. This is an X101B that had two bad OTs. We are using a pair from a Heathkit AA100. We have them hooked up like Fisher did with the 4 ohm tap grounded and feedback taken...
  7. RWood

Dual 1229 Speed Selector Lever

Hello all, On my 1229 the lever is completely gone. I assume the grease in the mechanism underneath hardened and the lever was worked too hard, breaking in the process. I am not seeing much in the way of replacements for a 1229 so am wondering if there are any other models I might be able to...
  8. RWood

CT-F9191 Cassette Problems

Hi guys, This one has me stumped. Here’s what it does and doesn’t do: Powers up, motor and flywheel spin only when Memory Stop/Play is In. Tape will play for 2-3 seconds, audio amps work but then it stops, idler disengages after a couple seconds. When FF and REW are depressed the clutch spins...
  9. RWood

Amplifier Back Panel Drilling Jig

The thing I like the least about making amplifiers is the metalwork. Drill bits wander, holes are off-center….. I have always had a hard time getting panels to look good. You would think speaker interconnects would be simple enough: two ½” holes, spaced ¾” apart. Well, simple doesn’t necessarily...
  10. RWood

Dynaco A-25 Tweeter Short

I was hoping this would be a simple recap but when measuring the resistance on the tweeter I got .4 ohms. As in four tenths. Most, if not every other bad tweeter I have worked with shows an open voice coil, not a short. So I am wondering what is going on here. I am tempted to open this up and...
  11. RWood

4140 Power amp Bias Issue

Hello, I'm working on a 4140 and have a spare parts unit. Two of the channels on one side work fine and bias up well. The other two need attention. I'm aware of the errors on the schematic (thanks Catrafter). In short, I can't get the bias voltage down to the required 10mA. The lowest I can get...
  12. RWood

SX1280 Strange Idle Current Readings

Hello, Could use some help with this 1280. When I first got into it, it had a blown 2A fuse and then DC balance readings that bounced all over and were obscenely high. Protection would cycle off and on but I did manage to adjust it to where it didn't trigger the relay, and the amplifier passed...
  13. RWood

Help With Accuphase E-203

Hoping to repair this for a friend. The problem seems to be in one channel of the power amplifier, as it presents when the "separate" switch is engaged and a signal goes directly into the power amps. Dim bulb is fine, main relay clicks "on", there is good audio through one channel and bad...
  14. RWood

Tucker99 Goes all the way to 100

..... on a very pleasant BarterTown deal. Easy to work with, packed very well with recyclable materials. Tubes traveled 3000 miles and were smiling upon arrival. Thanks John!
  15. RWood

Marantz 2270 suddenly slow to come out of protection

This is a lightly used 2270 that I recently adjusted for a friend. It is 100% stock and took the voltage adjustment, DC offset and bias adjustments very well. I've played it for 6-8 hours, sounds great. I called my buddy to come get it and wouldn't you know - next time I turn it on and it...
  16. RWood

Dynaco SCA-12 Idea

I've got a Grundig console PT and corresponding set of push-pull EL95 OTs that I'd like to use for an integrated amp. Oh, and four matched Telefunken EL95s to fire it. I'd like a magnetic phono input as well as for a tuner and a CD player. What the heck - tape in and tape out, too. I'd like...
  17. RWood

Onkyo TX-1500 Mk II in VA Goodwill

I saw this today priced at $25.25 (hey wasn't that a song?) It's in the Midlothian Goodwill on Alverser Drive. I plugged it in; panel lights and tuner needle work. I didn't connect any speakers. There are a few posts on AK about this model, seems to get some love. I thought I'd pass this...
  18. RWood

HK Citation I Filament Problem

Hello all. I’ve got a peculiar situation with a Citation I preamp. This is DaveCro’s amp, and I recently rebuilt the power supply, including the filament supply which is where we are having difficulty. This amp uses a DC filament system that is created by a full wave rectifier and is filtered by...
  19. RWood

Trutest Stereo/8 Volume Drop

I am having a devil of a time figuring out why the volume in the right channel has dropped to around 20% of what is on the left channel. This is a tiny tube integrated amp with a 12AX7 input, a 35C5 power tube for each chanel and a 35W4 rectifier. Here is a video I shot of the amp after it...
  20. RWood

Lafayette LA-85T Amp Troubleshooting

Well, I was able to get an amp mate for the LT-425T tuner I posted about a few months ago. Weekend trip to NJ and I picked it up with Steve, my buddy for whom this system is being built. Here is a pic of the face: All is not well with the sound though. We got three correct fuses, cleaned...
  21. RWood

Garrard AT-6 MkII Bias Compensator

I'm having anti-skate problems with a recently refurbished AT-6 Mk II. I see the bit in the SM about Bias Compensator, and have read that it's a feature the Mk II has that the original AT-6 hasn't. I might be blind and or dumb but I don't see it. What I've done in the mean time is...
  22. RWood

Amp Mate for Lafayette LT-425T Tuner

Is there a Lafayette amplifier that is intended to pair with this tuner? I have seen some that are close (LA-224t) but the faceplates are slightly different and the dimensions are not the same. I think this would have been in the '69 catalog, or maybe '68. Early solid state. Just picked up...
  23. RWood

Happiness via fdejong

Frank worked with me on a bartertown parts deal and was able to sell just the right subchassis that I needed for an HK tuner. He was easy to communicate with, quick to ship and he sent exactly what he described. I hope to do business with him again! Dick
  24. RWood

ELAC Miracord 50H help

Hello, Having some difficulty with a newly acquired 50H. The arm that the idler tire pivots on is very sluggish. I began to dismantle the assembly from underneath but am wary of going farther with it, and it does not seem obvious to me how this part comes off. I did put a drop of turbine...
  25. RWood

Creek 4240 surge at startup

This is an integrated amp of my friend's that I brought back to life after a nearby lightning strike toasted many of its transistors. For the most part, it works and sounds good. What happens in the first 5 seconds, though, is what I hope to learn more about and hopefully fix. When I power...
Back
Top Bottom