Search results

1. VintInfinity

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

edit: wrong thread
  2. VintInfinity

Picked up a M-45 amp today. Have a question about class A power output

My pop told me the same thing. I always like to get a second opinion even though he is also highly skilled [50+ years of experience]. I should give him more credit.... thanks for answering my questions.
  3. VintInfinity

It doesn't seem to zap or anything, but the buzz starts nearly immediately after the mechanical click of the button.
  4. VintInfinity

Ok, I will give it a listen tomorrow evening when I am able. Haven't noticed anything before though.
  5. VintInfinity

How so? I haven't noticed anything unusual about the button press, but around the transformer has a light buzz.
  6. VintInfinity

Is power consumption 500w even when outputting around 1wpc or less, or is it somewhat proportional to output level? I ask because I saw that the M-50 has the X-Power power supply that was supposed to pull only what it needed to make the output or something along those lines. Also, is a slight...
  7. VintInfinity

I have a pair of Ads L990 that I power with a PC2002M driven by a C-65 preamp. I decided to get this M-45 to power my L780 in another location. Sounds pretty good but not as warm or controlled as the PC2002 at low levels Seems a bit brighter too. Anyway, my question is. What is the class A...
  8. VintInfinity

Lower power Push Pull tube amp with ADS L990 or L570/2

I can find earlier series scans but not 1985-1986 when the 780 are from, can't find the 570/2 either. I found a copy of a 1986 review of the 780 on eBay. $11 shipped
  9. VintInfinity

Not sure on the specs. It seems info is harder to find for most ads models on Google now
  10. VintInfinity

Give them a chance with some SS with some grunt as wmgwizard posted. It really opens them up... the bass is tremendous at the listening position at 1wpc on tracks that have it if the amp has the damping power as well as mid range and upper end clarity. It's a good combo. The way they responded...
  11. VintInfinity

I can imagine they sound nice with 30watts of fisher tube power!
  12. VintInfinity

Exactly. Maybe if I had higher power tubes. The big SS amp creates tremendous bass. Just my style.
  13. VintInfinity

These seem to sound a bit better on some content with my Yamaha PC2002M (240wpc w crazy damping factor ) at about 1w sounds great. Some stuff sounds good and some a bit lacking on the Magnavox tube amp. Which is to be expected I guess.
  14. VintInfinity

I didn't see his reply earlier and ended up getting the L780 which has 8" woofers but also a mid dome as well. Female vocalists sound amazing
  15. VintInfinity

No, they are 8ohm I believe. I went with the L780 since they are 8 ohm afaik and were $125 cheaper than the 990s and half the weight to lug inside. They sound pretty good
  16. VintInfinity

I have a line on either of these two pairs for decent prices. I have a high power solid state power amp if needed by I prefer the modded 1959 Magnavox 175 circuit push pull console amp on the 6.5" bookshelf speakers I have now. Edit: also looking at a pair of L780 The 570/2 are 8" two way...
  17. VintInfinity

How many years to recap?

I doubt it needs new caps. The caps in old Advents from the early 70s still work... although a bit relaxed, which may be part of why they sound so good eh? If it ain't broke, don't fix it... believe me, I break stuff all the time when I ignore that rule.
  18. VintInfinity

Some Maggie 175 questions

I have a three-prong cord installed on mine. (whoops, it is a three pin receptacle and cable.. but only two leads are hooked up.. not the ground) There is a ceramic cap installed a bit diferently, per the instructions in some of the 185 and 175 amp threads. Also there is an added fuse holder...
  19. VintInfinity

Anti Cables and IC's

I don't think it is the same quality grade as regular magnet wire. You have to remember that it is high purity oxygen free as well as the Continous Casting extrusion process(consider internal grain) and that the coating is atypically thin (dielectric ideas), possibly a custom coating, as it...
  20. VintInfinity

Audio wtf

It very clearly states that it's a stone of clarity!
  21. VintInfinity

Distinguishing between High-rate-MP3s and CDs...Anybody else find it a crap shoot??

Side by side between 320kbps MP3 and CD or lossless it is easy for me to detect the reduced extension on the highs... the smoothness and depth/width of the soundstage, etc. some reduction in the bass department too... edit: as brett a said, on the right system... for sure.. otherwise it 256k...
  22. VintInfinity

What amp for B&W DM610

Tube amp! that is a nice sum for an old but good integrated or otherwise with big output transformers and some decent but forceful wattage levels.
  23. VintInfinity

Mini-Monitor or Small Bookshelf speakers to match Yamaha Pianocraft system

oddly enough, the mini receiver matches well with the gigantic Cerwin Vegas that were sitting around. Really strange combo that somehow works.
  24. VintInfinity

A really stupid question: Speaker Wires

Wire differences are real, some obvious, some not so much... It makes the biggest difference with speaker and amp systems that are very revealing of the source chain. For a Pioneer receiver with some classic speakers, anything will do... I have some basic thick stranded wire, a pair of...
  25. VintInfinity

Cerwin Vega AT-15 or Pioneer HPM-100???

The AT-15 of course! If you want freakish bass... they would actually be great for projection of sound for parties, I turn them up a bit, then go outside sometimes. That is what they are designed for... sound dispersion, clear and loud. I have the receipt for the re-foam somewhere, but it...
Back
Top Bottom