Search results

1. ChairSpud

ADC cart, which one do I have here? *Pictures*

Having tried many ADC stylus over the years I wholly agree with your suggestion, this particular one has a very nice sound and is my overall favorite. Dave/ChairSpud
  2. ChairSpud

ADC cart, which one do I have here? *Pictures*

The serial number engraved on the side indicates its an XLM MkIII body. Dave/ChairSpud
  3. ChairSpud

Chromecast Audio..what's left?

Jango is free with no commercials, you can cast that from the chrome browser. Dave/Chairspud
  4. ChairSpud

Ever dropped a piece of equipment?

Oh yes. I had a very heavy Hafller DH-220 amplifier slip out of my hands and drop two feet hitting the bottom shelf of my new Gusdorf stereo cabinet. Fortunately the bottom shelf busted and broke the impact. Even better there was no damage to the amp and the dealer Hudsons in Albuquerque...
  5. ChairSpud

Ever loaned out a record and......

Guess I was lucky, my friends were always very careful with my albums BUT my little sister got hold of and ruined a large part (100+) of my collection 60’s and early 70’s while I was in the service. Thanks to Tidal streaming service I’ve been able to hear them again. Dave /ChairSpud
  6. ChairSpud

Marc Morin - Rest In Peace Our Friend

I too have had a long absence from AK and am sorry to hear of Marc’s passing. Our resident expert on all things Grado, after many months of urging I finally took your suggestion to try the 8mz and never looked back. We will miss you my friend. Dave/ChairSpud
  7. ChairSpud

Even in death, the ongoing gift of a forgotten stereo

Thanks for sharing your story. Funny how we deal with loss and our loved ones treasured possessions. My Dad and I shared the audio hobby from the time I was a young teen. When he passed away 25 years ago he left me his audio gear and though I know he wanted me to use it I was just never able to...
  8. ChairSpud

Your very first amp? What was the first amplifier you had?

My first amp was a Scott LK72B I watched my Dad build, he let me help a bit including and a few solder joints. He later sold it to me along with the companion Scott tuner for $300. Dummy me later sold it to a friend so I could move to a solid state Heathkit. The amp is long gone but it looked...
  9. ChairSpud

How many of you built Heathkits?

Yes a Heath amplifier so long ago I can’t recall the model. Also Dynaco Pat4, stereo120, Hafler dh110 and dh200. Also Built together with my Dad a Scott amplifier and tuner, he got me interested in the hobby. Dave/ChairSpud
  10. ChairSpud

How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?

Had a 700, 480 and 300 up until three years ago when I downsized. Dave/ChairSpud
  11. ChairSpud

Did you go to the 1969 Woodstock Music Festival?

No but I was on crowded rt17 on my way to go camping in the Catskills. Man there was a lot of traffic! Dave/ChairSpud
  12. ChairSpud

I'm done chasing the illusion

Been there too and the tinnitus is a real bummer. I got past the endless quest a few years ago when I just started enjoying the music and sold most of my gear but kept favorite essentials. Now streaming through Tidal any album I want is such a joy and am enjoying it all again. Dave/ChairSpud
  13. ChairSpud

Cartridge surgery...

This is not easy work, glad you were successful! Dave/ChairSpud
  14. ChairSpud

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

You must have a very nice CD player, I feel the same way about my NAD which is used with its internal DAC. One option you might consider is a Nobsound PGA2310. A remote controlled passive pre with 3 line inputs and bluetooth, it has a very high quality Burr Brown volume control chip. It sounds...
  15. ChairSpud

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

I’m getting too old and lazy to keep getting up to change the volume and inputs so I bought a remote control amplifier a Yamaha A-S301. Should have done this years ago! Dave/ChairSpud
  16. ChairSpud

Have you guys ever blew any capacitors or transistors?

Yup, when connecting a power supply to my new at that time Bugle phono preamp I attached another 9V connector to the existing not realizing the + was now connected to the - leads. You never forget that sound and smoke! Ebay to the rescue with replacement caps. Dave/ChairSpud
  17. ChairSpud

Dipping my toes into streaming music! Spotify Premium is so cool.

I’m also new to the streaming thing about three months now. Yes it sure is nice and probably a dream come true with the ability to stream on demand any album or song right from your sofa or in my case chair. My preference is Tidal through a xiaomi mibox s so I can use voice commands to access...
  18. ChairSpud

Anyone ever has Fedex say they delivered a package and there wasn't one?

Oh yea, two incidents with fedex both a couple months ago. First time they delivered my package to a house down the street and the second incident they took a picture proving delivery unfortunately it was next door. House numbers are clearly marked so no excuse. I feel for the original poster...
  19. ChairSpud

Phono Preamp vs Yamah a-s501

I also have an A-S301 and found my Musical Fidelity VLPS phono stage originally around $200 really bested the built-in. Dave/ChairSpud
  20. ChairSpud

Help me build a hi-fi setup

Just saw your post and coincidently just purchased a Yamaha A-S301 and would also recommend the original poster consider the A-SX01 line of amps. They really do punch way above their price and although they have decent built-in DAC and Phono inputs the addition of good externals really improves...
  21. ChairSpud

Anybody using a "vintage" DAC?

Using an old Adcom GDA-600 with a pcm63 ladder chip to listen to Tidal streaming service. Sounds pretty sweet to me and have no desire to upgrade. Dave/ChairSpud
  22. ChairSpud

Need cartridge advice for Philips turntable

Been a long time since I owned a Philips 312 but as I recall it had a steel platter that caused issues with some induced magnet cartridges whose magnets came too close to the platter. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Grados an induced magnet design? Dave/Chairspud
  23. ChairSpud

stanton681eees is very ill and in the Hospital

John’s sister just texted me. Am sorry to report that after a valiant fight he lost his battle with cancer and passed on Monday, I will miss him.
  24. ChairSpud

stanton681eees is very ill and in the Hospital

John says he really appreciates every one of your well wishes. They tell him the cancer is treatable but has yet to undergo any radiation or chemo. I spoke to him latest on Monday and by yesterday he was discharged to another facility so they can build up his strength prior to treatments...
Back
Top Bottom