Search results

1. C

Dust Bug users - question

Try moving the Dustbug's mount a bit further out from the turntable spindle so that the Bug's bristles are underhung from the spindle. That will create a skating force toward the outside of the record. Worked for me.
  2. C

Possible Cure for Collapsed Stylus Suspension

Hi johnnyangel. Agree that the Shure MV30HE integrated cartridge/arm looks super cool! The Shure MV30HE and V15IV have styli with a unique combination bearing and vibration absorber fabricated from two types of elastomers molded in one piece. (See US Patent 4194744.) The support elastomer...
  3. C

Shure M95ED, M55E, M91ED, M97xE

Nice catch Redd House. Thanks. I hadn't noticed that change in recommended load capacitance in the two versions M95ED (400-500pF) and M95ED/D (200-300pF). Comparing the two user guides.it looks like generator inductance increased from 650mH to 700mH when later adding the destaticizer brush. The...
  4. C

Shure M95ED, M55E, M91ED, M97xE

Blackdog61: One thing to bear in mind when comparing the sound of various Shure cartridges is that they changed the recommended capacitance load in later products. Earlier designs such as your M55 and M91 need 400-500 picofarads for flattest frequency response. Your M95 gives flatter FR with...
  5. C

Inside view of AT-VM 540 & 95

These two pictures are interesting. In addition to differences in magnetic structure, it looks like the VM540 has two coils per channel (vice the VM95's single coil). Wonder if the the coils are connected as hum buckers, which would give greater immunity to external magnetic fields. Also, what...
  6. C

Is a phono cartridge wired internally like a guitar humbucker?

I believe the use of two pickup coils connected in a push-pull hum-bucking configuration dates back (at least) to the General Electric variable reluctance mono cartridges.
  7. C

So you want to understand Stylus Shapes? Try this!

The Owner's Manual for the Micro-Seiki VF-3200 cartridge is available on the vinylengine website. It gives a recommended load resistance of 47-50 kOhms. However, it does not give recommended load capacitance. A frequency response test plot therein shows flat response to 20kHz but loading...
  8. C

Laminated records

I've seen 12-inch 78-rpm shellac Columbia "Masterworks" albums with laminated records. The inner core appears like paper or thin cardboard. The outer surfaces shellac. The idea was to combine strength against breakage with smoother, softer, lower-noise playing surfaces. (Not suitable for use on...
  9. C

Cleaning a 1954 record

Your album cover proclaims this to be "A 'New Orthophonic' High Fidelity Recording". It was RCA's "New Orthophonic" equalization curve that was adopted as standard by the RIAA. So your RIAA playback EQ is correct for this record. The back jacket liner notes in your photo allude to this. (Not...
  10. C

Which v15 for 3009 non improved?

The V15-III had the highest compliance of any Shure cartridge. It was best matched with the SME Series III tonearm, which had the lowest effective mass.
  11. C

Can I use a Shure V15 Type IV stylus in a V15 Type III cartridge body?

Furthermore, NONE of the other Shure V15 type stili (I, II, IV, V, or xV) will physically fit into the Type III body.
  12. C

Can I use a Shure V15 Type IV stylus in a V15 Type III cartridge body?

The Type IV stylus will NOT fully insert into a Type III body. There is a physical obstruction preventing this. Don't try to force it!
  13. C

Modifying a 1947 Zenith Cobra

That Zenith Cobra cartridge is not compatible with typical phono preamps. The Cobra is not a signal generator like the majority of cartridges, but rather is part of an oscillator circuit. The cartridge body has a fixed coil inside. The stylus motion wiggles a piece of iron next to the coil to...
  14. C

Frequency Response Curves: ADC-1 vs. ADC Astrion

ear4audio: Thanks for posting these interesting test results. Although there are minor differences, I am more surprised at how similar all of your frequency response plots are. Specially considering the 1 dB resolution of the amplitude scales. The consistent flatness of the FR plots is also...
  15. C

NAD 5025 Maintenance/Settings

A lesson I learned the hard way with my 5025: Heed the CAUTION statement (in your first photo) and don't touch the screws holding the rubber grommet motor mounts. They apparently are factory adjusted to minimize motor vibration.
  16. C

Check out this vintage test record

I have that HIFI/SR 211 disc (along with several dozen different test records). The tests on Side 1 remain entirely valid. I find the cartridge tracking test bands 4 & 5 specially useful for adjusting vertical tracking force and antiskating by ear. Their peak levels are not unreasonable and any...
  17. C

Anyone know any Pickering History?

The Audio Engineering Society's Oral History project did an interview of Normal Pickering. Samples available at
  18. C

Help with 78 rpm

These oddities are likely originals cut on recording blanks, either from live performances or (more likely) taken from radio broadcasts or copied from other records. They are aluminum discs coated with a soft acetate layer on which the recording head's stylus cut the groove. The extra hole was...
  19. C

SP10/Rabco SL-8E

Yes, the battery cover is the chassis ground for the arm. But note that the C-cell sits in the battery case with the positive end up. Hence the arm's power supply is negative with respect to chassis ground.
  20. C

Shure V15 Type II or Type III -- how can you tell??

The original V15-II had black print on the stylus. In 1970 Shure changed to an "Improved" version with red print on the stylus. The Improved stylus was backwards compatible with the original Type II body. They did not change the stylus part number: Only the coloring identified the version. The...
  21. C

Shure V15 Type II or Type III -- how can you tell??

The original V15 and the later V15-II cartridge bodies had flat bottoms. The V15-III (and subsequent) had V-shaped bottoms with beveled sides. Also, the Type III (and IV and V) had narrower stylus shanks. The Type II's VN15 stylus will not fit into the Type III's body. If you have good eyes...
  22. C

Rabco SL-8 upgrade to 8E

The original SL-8's end-of-side lift was purely mechanical, resulting in a sudden arm lift and often a stylus scrape resulting in a rude sound through the loudspeakers. The SL-8E added a second electric motor to slowly and gently raise the arm, whether at the end of a side or when the manual...
  23. C

Need some help choosing between P Mount Carts and finding Stylus

I've been using the AT450 as mentioned by Lini above on my SL-Q300 and am very pleased with the combination. Its tracking ability is excellent. Charlie
  24. C

Looking for info on a Stanton 681

If you are referring to the small crimp in the metal stylus tube (not the cantilever itself), that is a patented part of the manufacturing process. It helps define the center of rotation of the elastomer bearing that supports the cantilever.
  25. C

The craziest idler-wheel TT of all time?

These posts brought back memories. I had the original single-motor version of Weathers' turntable c. 1959, using it with the Weathers FM (mono) pickup system and basswood arm. Paul Weathers was a brilliant engineer, achieving excellent mono Lp playback quality by seemingly doing everything...
Back
Top Bottom