Search results

1. T

New Shins to be released on Reel to Reel

Another quality sourse of open reel masters: www.mastertapesoundlab.com
  2. T

cleaning molded tape?

Beware that molds can spread and can get in the air easily. When inhaled some types are very hazardous (cancer). Rewind slowly and wipe with cotton soaked in hidrogen peroxide, followed by a dry coton (do not leave the tape wet). You can use alcohol only on the tape edges when the tape is on the...
  3. T

Recap just PS

P.S. To avoid cap explosions, make sure your replacement caps are placed with the correct polarity and never be of lower voltage rating than the original cap.
  4. T

Recap just PS

PS caps are more likely to fail due to higher (voltage-current) stress, and higher temperatures, so are the caps near heat sources such as hot transistors/heatsinks. Caps also deteriorate if idle for log time (like cars) as they are supposed to get needed chenmical-electric oxidation when under...
  5. T

Recap just PS

Yes, PS caps are most likely to fail. You can incease the caps voltage ratings and the uF values by 20-50%, as well as the temperature ratings to 105C for longer life.
  6. T

Hello, I may help you identify the tapes and perhaps even buy them from you. First check if...

Hello, I may help you identify the tapes and perhaps even buy them from you. First check if there is leader tape and how it looks. Then, if the tape shedds or leaves residue on the transport. Where are you located? Best
  7. T

Bringing back my Revox A77

The slowing speed may be a result of a sticky shed syndrom (google it) of the tape you have. If so, the muted highs could also be related to that (are the heads /tape path getting dirty fast?) It could be bad capacitors - you must recap anyway, at least the power supply caps and ALL FRAKO...
  8. T

Tape Biasing - Help Needed

One area of possible interest is how to upgrade/adjust some models in order to be able to reach the higher bias that is required for modern (high output tape) as many old models were set to work with lower output tapes, that are no longer available as new stock.
  9. T

Technics 1500 no Audio

check the 2-4track switch on the headblock
  10. T

Revox PR 99: restore, upgrade, modify

1. Purism: While I understand the 'purist' approach, my aim with good old gear is to exceed original spects when possible, based on knowledge, components and tapes that were not available at the time of production, some 30 years back. BTW, I already reported a number of measurments that confirm...
  11. T

Revox PR 99: restore, upgrade, modify

Some follow-up. I just realised that since I replaced the original heads with butterfly, I must also replace the erase head. I also found that the deck cannot be properly set for modern tapes (SM900 SM911, they remain inderbiased) and was told that I must modify the repro, record and the...
  12. T

Issues with Studer A810

I solved it! I was wrong when I first ruled out a mechanical issue upon visual/manual inspection. Just found that the brakes did not fully release upon play, ff and rew (my poor heads!!!). The fix was to tighten the (hidden behind the brake panel) bolt that holds the lower brake arm to the right...
  13. T

Issues with Studer A810

Thanks for the advise, will keep speeds as they are. On the issue with the supply side tension instability - I twicked the tension controls of the supply motor but the tension deviations (one per every revolution) remained. I rulled out mechanical problems and it seems the supply motor...
  14. T

Issues with Studer A810

Hello everybody, I am trying to put back to life a good old Studer A810 and have 2 Qs: 1) Is it easy to modify a 2 speed machine (with the oldest speed control, having 7.5 and 15ips to 15-30ips and what I need? 2) Upon play, the left tension roller moves a lot up and down, with every...
  15. T

Mastering Reel To Reel

MHO: Should you go real serious w/o compromise - Studer A80RC MKII.
  16. T

Tape Hiss Problems w/ RMGI LPR35 Tape...

No, it is clearly from the tape as it acts the same on 2 different machines and other tapes act ok on those machines. I used the term AM-radio-like, just to describe the noice as it is not the smooth highfreq tape hiss.
  17. T

Tape Hiss Problems w/ RMGI LPR35 Tape...

When I first went through the posts above, felt that there is a problem with the deck, if such AM-type hiss appears. Yesterday I tested some new LPRs I have and was shocked to hear a very laud AM-like hiss (multifrequency) upon recording various programs/leves. As this happened never before, I...
  18. T

What is a "Butterfly" tape head??

and having less cross-talk and more width you get more S/N on DIN-recorded tapes.
  19. T

Opinions: Revox PR99 vs Otari MX 5050

Why they cannot be set up for +9 tape? I have (modified) PR99MK3 set for SM900.
  20. T

Using Pr-99 at home

In the unlikely event of overload, when using XLR-RCA, you may use the cal. knobs/controls. For me the best solution is to take the -10 dB signal strait from the Din (5 pin) socket, labeled "Monitor" as you will have 2 goodies: 1) The RCA level of -10dB; and 2) a much better sound as you will...
  21. T

Things about used R2R tapes that bug me

Smile because it could/will be worst: 1) tape with mold - and if you did not notice or not careful - it may fly in the air as you rewind and thus cause serious health hazard; 2) a baked tape - plays fine for a couple of weeks and then gets stiiiiiicky; 3) Half of tape in one direction, the...
  22. T

Best way to clean RTR tape?

This is a tape with SSS - sticky shed syndrome, typical for some Ampex, Scotch, etc. tapes; you can find a lot of info on the net about sss. In short, there is only a short term solution - baking the tape at certain conditions, after which you can play it a few times (to make a copy) before it...
  23. T

Buying NOS RTR Tape: Any Advice?

My experience is similar with Ozric. Some old BASF were suprisingly good.
  24. T

How many members use reel to reel decks here ?

Hello, My R2R collection grew rapidly those days and now consists of: Revox PR99 MK3 heavily moded Technics RS-1500, 2 units, one awaiting a Tim DeParvicini mod Studer A-80 MK2 1/2" 2 tk - one 15/30ips and two 7.5/15ips May post pics some day
  25. T

How to get old tape off of plastic reels

I place the reel on a pencil, between two chairs, so it could roll, when you pull the tape. Then I leave it to my son to pull and pull, he loves the mess he does (Don't tell UNICEF). The real problem is with tape with mold (white powder) as this stuff is highly toxic/hazardous and should not get...
Back
Top Bottom