Search results

1. 240 Volts

Sony TA-5650 V-FET Amp : Taking a Big Chance

I too briefly wondered if it might be intended to switch the speakers off in order to listen to headphones, but as the schematic in post #34 shows, if the protection relay is turned off then it will disconnect both speaker outputs AND the headphones. However, with this particular TA-5650 it...
  2. 240 Volts

Rare Sony Amp here

Depends what you want it for and how much it costs. If it's $10 - $20 then it might be OK for a "garage" system, but my vote is with those that say "junk". :thumbsdn: Richard B.
  3. 240 Volts

Speaker Selector - WTF? Been delving a little bit more into the modified speaker selector switch on my recently acquired TA-5650. The selector switch does not attempt to switch the speakers between "A", "B", "A+B", "Off", as might be expected. Instead, at first glance, it appears as if all...
  4. 240 Volts

Hi Oscar, If the headphone output on your TA-5650 really does work, then the output stages must be working OK because the headphone signal is taken from the speaker outputs on the output board (after the relay and via a potential divider). Maybe the relay contacts have gone high resistance and a...
  5. 240 Volts

The photo was too small to read the rank, however I could see the writing on the faded installation leaflet that came with the V-FETs and so decided that they were genuine Sony spares. I reasoned that this meant the 3 pairs would be in the range 54 to 57 (because that's all that works in the...
  6. 240 Volts

TA-5650 Review Found a review of the TA-5650 which may prove interesting. I've no idea where it came from originally, I just came across it in the "Downloads" folder on my PC while looking for something else. Richard B.
  7. 240 Volts

V-FET Information / Spares Thanks Oilmaster and ilimzn for some very useful information. It's interesting that only V-FETs with rank 54 to 57 will work in the TA-4650 & TA-5650. Makes me think that the V-FETs on sale from Hong Kong are therefore probably genuine - after all what would be the...
  8. 240 Volts

Mains Transformer Wiring As I mentioned previously, the voltage selector is completely missing and the wiring to the primary of the mains tranformer has been modified somewhat. The twin mains fuses have been moved from the back panel to the side chassis next to the main power supply capacitors...
  9. 240 Volts

Hi Chris, I see this is your first post on AK, so a big welcome is in order. There's certainly some sorting out to do with the primary wiring of the mains transformer, it looks to be connected in a "non-standard" way. I don't yet know if this is because whoever did it was being really clever...
  10. 240 Volts

Because Rd-s is very low (between 1 and 2ohms), then the reading from drain to gate measures essentially the same as from source to gate. When I checked from gate to source I did it in both directions, I have only listed the results of the "diode drop" direction as the other way measured o/c...
  11. 240 Volts

Yes, that is my understanding of what the numbers signify. What I was really wondering was what the letters mean? (all 8 V-FETs in my TA-5650 are "55", but 7 are "HE" and one is "HG"). Richard B.
  12. 240 Volts

V-FETs - All Present & Correct? OK, I've had time to take a quick look inside. The power amplifier board has the original "suicide diodes" fitted in the bias circuit : I turned the amplifier over to get access to the V-FETs and was not very happy at what I saw - the heads of the fixing...
  13. 240 Volts

Thanks for the hint. This is my first V-FET amp, so any information is welcome. This history of this amp is shadowed in mystery. The seller I bought it off has not had it working (see my original post), and the owner before that seems to have hacked it about somewhat. In the light of this I...
  14. 240 Volts

OK, I'll add it to my list of things to check. Thanks for the tip. :thmbsp: Richard B.
  15. 240 Volts

I'ts Arrived - Exterior Not Too Bad It's here!! :banana: After missing the delivery courier a couple of times, I finally collected the amplifier from the local depot myself. It seems to have survived the journey unscathed : Cosmetically the amp looks quite good - should be OK when...
  16. 240 Volts

Yes, but not necessarily more than I want...:D Richard B.
  17. 240 Volts

I've been looking out for one of the Sony V-FET amplifiers for a while just to see what all the fuss was about. I know they can be very fragile and I've already got more amplifiers than I need, so didn't want to pay top price for an "as new" unit. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I bought...
  18. 240 Volts

How Many Kenwood/Trio Components Have you Heard/Owned?

Would love to see a photo of all that equipment stacked up and illuminated. :yes: - Richard B.
  19. 240 Volts

B&W series 600i

First of all, welcome to AK. There are lots of knowledgeable people here that are always happy to help out. :thmbsp: The B&W DM600i is rated at 30 - 100w into 4ohms and has a frequency response of 80 - 20kHz (+/-2dB). Sensitivity is 87dB (2.83v at 1m). Full specifications and user manual can...
  20. 240 Volts

Darlington Power Packs - Pioneer 780, Et al.

This sounds very dubious to me, a Darlington transistor is simply two "ordinary" transistors connected so that the output of the first is then amplified by the second, therefore giving higher gain than a single transistor could. The "quality" of a transistor or power pack is determined by a lot...
  21. 240 Volts

How Many Kenwood/Trio Components Have you Heard/Owned?

Own : Trio KA-801 Trio KT-815 Trio KX-1060 Trio KD-650 Trio KR-9600 Kenwood KX-4250 Owned : Trio KR-4070 Trio KA-5700 Trio KT-5500 Trio KX-600 Trio KX-500 Trio KD-1033 Trio KD-2055 Trio KHA-50 - Richard B.
  22. 240 Volts

Sony 1980 Catalog - High Res Scans

Added list of contents to the links, so you can find your way around the catalog more easily. - Richard B.
  23. 240 Volts

Sony 1980 Catalog - High Res Scans

I've not seen a great deal of literature regarding classic Sony gear here on AK, so over the last few weeks I've been scanning a 1980 catalog I came across recently. As usual I've tidied up the scans as best I can (not too bad for a 30 year old catalog) and posted them on Photobucket. Hope you...
  24. 240 Volts

David

First of all, welcome to AK. :thmbsp: I think you may get more response asking these questions in the "Exclusively Sansui" forum. Also, giving the thread a more informative title than "David" would be a good idea. - Richard B.
  25. 240 Volts

B&W Series 80 Model 802 Speakers

Wow!! $85 - you didn't buy them, you stole them. :thmbsp: Typically, here in the UK, you would be looking at more like $500 on a certain well known auction site. The high impedance (1k ohm) that we have both measured cannot be the "real" impedance - the specifications state 8 ohms. In any...
Back
Top Bottom