Search results

1. Dave C

Headshells- whaddaya think about 'em?

I commend everyone willing to experiment!
  2. Dave C

SET Forte I mods list

I heard Set12’s speakers years ago they were fabulous. He used North Creek inductors, I think Mundorf caps and Dueland resistors. I tried to contact him twice in the past year but got no reply.
  3. Dave C

Klipsch RF-7III, the journey begins.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm headed to the music room to plant myself in front of these beauties for a while and spin some vinyl. I've changed nothing on the crossovers since the last post. They pair extremely nice with my Western Electric 300B tubes. From my standpoint and those of my music...
  4. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

I've watched many of Danny's (GR Research) videos. I'm tempted to buy a set of his speaker wires just to try out. I have 36 strand Individually Teflon wrapped conductors, 18 positive 18 negative braided that I use now. They are by far cleanest sounding wires I've ever had and I've played around...
  5. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

I played around with this again late this afternoon. I had some 4"X 4" X 8" shipping boxes that I taped together and added a piece of tool drawer liner to the top. That combination added space to the music. As I said earlier I used some beer glasses and didn't think much of the results. This is...
  6. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

I've watched many of his videos but not this one. I watched it today, it was the first time the reasoning was laid out. Watch from about the middle if you are interested.
  7. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

I've eliminated most plastics because they will conduct static. It would be easy though!
  8. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

I took some beer glasses that raised the cables about 6" off the floor. I played some Sara Brightman vinyl and then some Guns and Roses. To my surprise the sound definitely thinned out with the glasses. Especially the sound of string instruments violas, violins and acoustic guitars lost depth. I...
  9. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

Yes, I found this video as well!
  10. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

I have a piece of mahogany that I'll work up something with. I've got a nicely finished audio room and a lot of expensive gear. The lifters are for looks as well as some function in my case. With all this stuff you can reach a threshold that things like this may or may not make a difference.
  11. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

Nice!
  12. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

Some say the cables absorb static from carpet, I have no idea but winter is coming and I'm a DIY guy. I'm not even going to get into what I use for wire, that's not part of this. I want a material that effectively is a static insulator like oiled wood maybe or glass or something and construction...
  13. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

To those of you that have built your own speaker cable lifters what materials do you find works best?
  14. Dave C

Show me your CABLES!! Please...

Cable lifters should be made from a material that doesn't conduct static. ceramic or glass would seem the best. Oiled wood would seem to work as well. Just my thoughts.
  15. Dave C

Autoformer and Frequency Response

I read the entire thread, I've spent a lot of time and money on turntables, amps and speakers. Everyone hears different and every room sounds different. If you're spending your money you should get what you want. I love my Klipsch speakers but I know from experience that the crossovers they come...
  16. Dave C

Autoformer and Frequency Response

The correct definition of an expert is someone that lives at least 100 miles from you.
  17. Dave C

I changed out the output tubes from Sophia Royal Princess 300B to a set of new Western Electric 300B tubes. This opened up the speakers even more than before. Good equipment is good equipment!
  18. Dave C

my 300B SET project

After enjoying these amps about 2 years since the last post I did a tube update I'll share. My go to tube has been the Sophia Royal Princess 300B. Time moves on and I decided I'd order a set of new Western Electric 300B tubes. Compared to my 9 year old Princess tubes the WE tubes are more open...
  19. Dave C

Willsenton 300b tube rolling

I've got 4 hour on my new issue Western Electric 300Bs. I pulled my Sophia Royal Princess tubes that I've been listening to for over 9 years last evening and installed the Western Electrics. I loved the Royal Princess tubes, they never treated me bad. At 4 hours on the WE tubes this is what I...
  20. Dave C

Willsenton 300b tube rolling

I have had several sets of 300B tubes. Of the inexpensive tubes the Golden Lions were the best to me. I've had electro harmonics, Psvane black bottles, Sophia mesh plates, Sophia Royal Princess and just bought a set of Western Electric I'm waiting to arrive. Off all those tubes the only ones...
  21. Dave C

Ortofon Blue 2m Distortion

Sounds like looking carefully with magnification at the stylus is your next step. Lots of speculation here, you need to narrow it down.
  22. Dave C

Ethanol for record cleaning?

I get very clean records washing them with Meyer's clean day liquid soap solution and then clear rinse. Use distilled water as well.
  23. Dave C

As discussed earlier in this post I said I would order some 3 ohm quality audio resistors and try them in place of the audio transformers I've been using the past 3 + months. I installed Path audio resistors which I have experience with and know to be a quality product. I always do my...
  24. Dave C

Anyone going to AXPONA?

I did go to both Klipsch rooms. I wasn't a fan of the powered speakers, The sound they put our just seemed to "simple" to me. In the Klipsch Heritage room that was on Floor 2 or 3 as I recall had Klipschhorns set up and playing. They over emphasized the highs and had no bass. For the price of a...
  25. Dave C

Anyone going to AXPONA?

That's the company. I was thinking they'd be nice at the workbench for quick tests.
Back
Top Bottom