Search results

1. Dave C

Speaker wire lifters

To those of you that have built your own speaker cable lifters what materials do you find works best?
  2. Dave C

Audiotechnica ATP-12T tonearm modification project

This is a total experiment on my part, it may fail or I may have something nice. I have a couple of these arms on the shelf as well as an extra SP-25 turntable. Seeing so many reports on straight tone arms that work quite nicely like the Tru-glider, I decided to start playing. The new arm shaft...
  3. Dave C

Pass Bride of Zen preamp

I bought a printed circuit board a few years back for a Bride of Zen preamp. It sat with other future projects until this week. It took an order from both Mouser and Digikey to get the parts. I've read good and bad about this preamp but figured I'd give it a try. I installed a few of the...
  4. Dave C

Soft start for B+

A few years ago I bough a couple soft start kits from K & K audio. They have closed. I’m looking for a similar product for another set of amps.
  5. Dave C

Klipsch RF-7III, the journey begins.

Back in the day my first Klipsch purchase was a pair of RF-25 speakers. I broke them in and then upgraded the crossovers with Mundorf Supreme capacitors and North Creek Music inductors. I've enjoyed the many years of top notch sound I got from them. Last Weekend I laid down the cash for a new...
  6. Dave C

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - RMAF - Closed

This is so sad. https://www.audiofest.net/
  7. Dave C

Mcintosh MA352

Can anyone give me their personal review of the Mcintosh MA352 amplifier? Looking at one.
  8. Dave C

Rocky Mountain Audio fest a few years back and a 2A3 amp I heard

This is probably a long shot but It came to mind again this year. I think it was 3 years ago at the Rocky Mountain Audio fest. As we were touring all the audio rooms there was an older man that had some home built speakers that as I recall were 15" full range, no cross overs, inside of some...
  9. Dave C

The flashing Sansui AU-D11

I told a friend I'd take a look at his AU-D11 amp, it fires up and flashes or blinks. I've been told by the guys around town to walk away from it. I'd like to get more information before I do that. I would in the long run like to change out the 8 big caps in the power supply but don't want to...
  10. Dave C

Roy Orbison A Love so Beautiful

I picked up this Roy Orbison album today and could hardly wait to listen to it. It is recorded with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. To my surprise it's MONO! I read every inch of the cover looking to see if my dealer mistakenly ordered a mono copy by mistake and no mention is made of it being...
  11. Dave C

My Ortofon 2M Blue to 2M Black review

About 4 or 5 years ago I purchased an Ortofon 2M blue cartridge for my Technics SP25 turntable with Audio Technica AT12P tonearm combination. It served me well for every listening session I had. It had few limitations and I felt it was a very good combination for that arm / turntable...
  12. Dave C

Power supply capacitance

I built the RCA phono preamp with a SS power supply and have a hum. Trying to cover all bases here, how much capacitance should I have in the power supply from your experience and past projects?
  13. Dave C

Starting a 6SN7 preamp build

I've been investigating tube preamps and in the reading came up with the idea of building a modified Blue Velvet version. I'm wondering about filament power on this build. Can I use AC and still have a quiet amp or should I rectify?
  14. Dave C

Long load times with new format

I'm not doing well at all with the new AK. Load times up to two minutes to get into a forum from the time I click the link. I've been working with AK on this and they seem concerned about it. I visit the other audio forums and get in as fast as I can click the mouse. Mac running OS 10.11.1 and...
  15. Dave C

Tonearm cables

I'm looking at upgrading my tonearm cable. I came across the Audioquest Wildcat, anybody have any comments on that or input on something else that is comparable? Ortophon 2M Blue, Audio Tecnica tone arm, Techniques SP 25 turntable.
  16. Dave C

paradigm subwoofer ticks

A friend brought over a Paradigm sub woofer that has a ticking sound like a clock coming from it. I plugged it in with nothing attached and can hear the tick or click. Tried it again with the ground lifted and it still does it. Anybody have any clues?
  17. Dave C

Cornscala D

Looking over Bob's web site the other day I see he has a 2 way Cornscala he calls the "D" model. http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala-style-d.html Has anybody built a set of these? Bob, can you chime in on how they sound compared to the 3 way designs?
  18. Dave C

12BH7A favorites, worst.

I see many Sylvania 12BH7A tubes with green print. Are these all from military production runs? I have found Yellow print Sylvania to be very nice sounding tubes. GE variants are a little thin sounding.
  19. Dave C

treasure tubes break in

Just bought a new set of Treasure 300B-Z tubes. I fired one of them up in a new amp I have on the bench and my first impression is real good, very clean sounding. The big issue with these tubes is break in time, some say 100 hrs. Can I speed up the break in buy just running the heaters on the...
  20. Dave C

Could this be the latest in high end audio?

My Physics minded son sent me this tonight. Could this be the next thing in high end audio? Electrostatic what??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3D_uG2ET2s:scratch2::scratch2:
  21. Dave C

Turntable lamps

I like to listen to music at night but have nothing but a floor lamp near the turntable. I'd like to get some kind of light to help me "set the tonearm" on the record. What's everyone using?
  22. Dave C

A lift for my ATP-12T arm

I have 2 of these ATP-12T arms and find them to be top performers. The troublesome part was the lack of a lift. I bought a Jelco JL-45 lift from a nice guy on the "bay" and sat down by the milling machine with some 3/16 aluminum sheet. Yes, it works very nice. Is there a market for these?
  23. Dave C

SP25 Plinth build

Just getting started on my SP25 plinth build. I've done some reading but am wide open to construction methods and tonearm/cartridge selection. Anyone care to chime in?
  24. Dave C

Spendy turntable!!!!!!

Turntables popped up today on market watch . com looks like they are fishing for some big money buyers! http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-160000-turntable-2013-04-20 I'm not affiliated in any way shape or form with any of this, however if you decide to buy one I'd like to hear it.
  25. Dave C

Flight of the Valkyries

During a listening session the other night one of the guests said he would have liked to have heard "Flight of the Valkyries" on my system. Where would I look for the definitive best recorded version of this?
Back
Top Bottom