Search results

1. istariknight

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Just got back from collecting this lot.... Sony TA-88 Pioneer SA-708 Sony STR-313L Realistic STA-720 Marantz CD-72 Marantz CD-75DX Technics 5 disc changer Sony CDP-102 All working bar the CD-72 which needs a new drive cog & the CDP-102 has a sticky mech. Price ? £10 for the lot...
  2. istariknight

Brings a tear to my eye thinking how many quality & often easily repairable items go to landfill... Even the rubbish dumps/recycling centers aren't allowed to sell stuff anymore!
  3. istariknight

Indeed, bargains are hard to come by over here. You get dreamers asking 200% more than somethings worth on eBay & everyone thinks theirs are worth that much too :thumbsdn: Just makes it sweeter when you do find one !
  4. istariknight

TRIO KA-7100 in *mint* condition, Not a mark on her.....£16.
  5. istariknight

B&W DM2 owners - Lack of bass ?

Ah okay thanks for that, I think the wadding is normal then... Your description of "like a hard mattress" is spot on. They are currently 10" off the floor on open frame steel stands which did improve them. Amplifier wise I have tried Pioneer SA-708 (65wpc)/ HK930 (45wpc) / NAD C370 (120wpc)...
  6. istariknight

B&W DM2 owners - Lack of bass ?

Hi guys, got a pair of B&W DM2 (mk1) Before I got them I read up on the net as you do & people were saying they are bass heavy being a transmission line with 8" bass driver which made sense however... I have found them to be the opposite, bass light if anything! I removed the baffle whilst...
  7. istariknight

Just picked up this "little" fella for £46 :D For those that dont know its a HK930 Twin-Power. Seller said it was untested as the power cable had been cut, fitted a new cable & its singing again! Its been kept in a cabinet its entire life so inside looks like new... even the connectors on the...
  8. istariknight

what are the best cheapest to buy audio cap.s ?

Hificollective have some nice Nichicons/Elnas : http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/capacitors.html If you want cheap MKP caps for input DC filtering etc.. audio-components are good : http://www.audio-components.co.uk/store/SubSubCategoryList.asp?SubSubCategoryID=105 & For...
  9. istariknight

NAIM NAC 32 / NAP 160 Hook up

NAP160 connects to Output 2 as the DIN carries both signal & power for the NAC. Nice amps :thmbsp:
  10. istariknight

Naim Nait 3 Maintenance

It would be wise to get it serviced by an authorised Naim service center otherwise it will lose value. However if your not bothered about resale value its a lot cheaper to do the work yourself. Thats a very early serial number so it must be getting on a bit! Any amplifier that age will likely...
  11. istariknight

The Big Block club - Amp nudies

Naim NAP140
  12. istariknight

Rega Apollo CD player problem

I wouldnt touch any of the adjustment pots inside... Not yet anyway, thats more of a last resort IMO. Half of all "faulty" skiping cd players I have been asked to look at have had old grease on the sled rails that had turned hard preventing the laser block from moving freely.
  13. istariknight

Rega Apollo CD player problem

Hi, observe if it skips forward or backward. If there is a mechanical problem the advance of tracking is blocked - The skipping will happen backward. If the tracking controller is too enthusiastic - It will skip forward. The former is usually an easy fix whereas the latter can be a real...
  14. istariknight

Naim Nait 3 Maintenance

Whilst doing some maintenance on my Nait 3 I thought it might be of interest to others so decided to document it.... I decided to go for some Nichicon "KL" as they were half the price of UK made capacitors yet still made by a reputable brand. KL is part of the low profile series and they are...
  15. istariknight

Nudies of your modern gear!!

My latast acquisition :naughty:
  16. istariknight

Nudies of your modern gear!!

Denon PMA-1500R - Sounds quite nice in my system.
  17. istariknight

Receiver and Amp nudies! Post them if ya got them!

A couple more for you :)
  18. istariknight

Model 22 Transistor orientation ?

Thankyou for taking the time to explain that. I now understand.... Going to tackle it this afternoon although this time I bought enough to account for any mistakes ! Cheers :)
  19. istariknight

Model 22 Transistor orientation ?

Hi, Im stuck :scratch2: I've got a model 22 with 2 faulty preamp transistors (2SA494/2SC458) I bought replacements & fitted them but they seem to have died on power up. Now, my question is : Should I reverse the orientation when reinstalling new ones ? I'm sure I read somewhere that modern...
  20. istariknight

Just came home with a Citation 12 Deluxe.... Cost me £50 :) Sounds nice but treble's a little harsh, maybe thats because im driving direct from my cdp's variable output ? Need a get a preamp....
  21. istariknight

Yup IMF TLS50. They say "Made in Britain" on the back so I assume they are the real deal. Bought them locally from a collector for.... a good price ;) The mids need refoaming at some point along with a crossover service but otherwise vgc. As for the sound ? Best I have ever heard in my house...
  22. istariknight

New speakers :rockon:
  23. istariknight

Kenwood Owners Show Us Your Kenwoods!

Very nice ! Its really growing on me actually, When I first tried it out I thought it sounded bright & harsh but after 3-4 hours its totally changed with a warm but detailed sound.... Maybe capacitors reforming ? I dunno. Hmm Wouldnt mind trying an 801 :D
  24. istariknight

Also posted in the Kenwood area but thought I'd put it here too.... Just got my first Kenwood! A nice KA-701 in good condition. Picked it up cheap because the speaker selector switch wouldnt work. Some eejit had lost the screw out of the shaft coupler & decided to glue it.... The wrong way...
  25. istariknight

Kenwood Owners Show Us Your Kenwoods!

Just got my first Kenwood! A nice KA-701 in good condition. Picked it up cheap because the speaker selector switch wouldnt work. Some eejit had lost the screw out of the shaft coupler & decided to glue it.... The wrong way so that it was fouling on the transformer :no: All fixed &...
Back
Top Bottom