Search results

1. runningdog

2015 weak in one channel

A 2015 arrived playing weakly in the left channel. It has not been worked on before. 1. I believe the issue has been narrowed down to the main amplifier by disconnecting the preamp outputs from the main amplifier inputs, then providing a signal directly to the main amplfier input jumpers, and...
  2. runningdog

PC application with display like a vintage Marantz oscilloscope?

Some good friends gifted me a 2110 tuner. Lately I've been going through some favorite songs and watching how the oscilloscope displays them. But the vintage 'scope display is so small. Making me wonder if there is a PC based application that can produce same display? So I can kill more time...
  3. runningdog

Trace damage on 2325 PE01 preamp board

The solder pads at the connector are damaged on this 2325 PE01 preamp board. Look closely to see the repair that was attempted by soldering loops of wire over the damaged pads. At least one of the "repaired" joints had an intermittent connection, and I'm looking to do a better repair. One...
  4. runningdog

Sub for circuit board edge insulators used on 2325 amps and preamp

The 2325 has insulators on the edge of the preamp and main amp boards where they are held in place by brackets. Having finally run out, I'm looking for a substitute. If you have a favorite material to use to make one I'd love to hear about it.
  5. runningdog

Marantz 2325 has high THD in both channels

This 2325 had symptoms that included high Total Harmonic Distortion, made even worse with an 8 ohm load. While I was looking into this the receiver behaved inconsistently. This was after a rebuild. I set it aside in hopes that with a long rest it would fix itself. LOL. After digging in again...
  6. runningdog

2245 P400 tone amplifier right channel not working

The right channel of this 2245 P400 tone amplifier is not working. This after both channels were rebuilt with new caps and transistors. Here are some observations. When powered up there is a clean signal for a second or two until the voltages rise past correct levels to these levels. The output...
  7. runningdog

2325 has high distortion unless Hi Filter is on

A newly rebuilt 2325 shows high distortion in both channels. THD is 0.200% if the Hi Filter is off. When turned on (pressed in) THD drops to a typical 0.004%. No other switch or control affects it. The distortion starts at about 1V output from the receiver, and then remains constant all the way...
  8. runningdog

Thank you Tom "Catrafter" Williams

@catrafter Long time AK contributor Tom Williams ("Catrafter") has retired from Marantz restorations. You may have noticed he has not been posting lately. This after 7820 posts and 1936 likes, starting in 2004. Quality information, delivered with quiet authority. I'm going to tell a short...
  9. runningdog

Removing clear tape from Marantz faceplate

I have a Marantz faceplate with Scotch clear tape on it. I'm looking for suggestions on removal. Window cleaners hate the stuff, but at least they can scrape it off with a razor. I carefully scratched at it with my thumbnail but it does not budge. I use WD40 to deep clean faceplates that...
  10. runningdog

2325 PH01 buffer amplifier - one channel out

This 2325 PH01 buffer amplifier is not passing the signal through one channel. I've found where the signal stops (at HH01), and that the voltage at its base is well below what it should be. HH01 and HH03 should both have 14.2V at their bases. HH01 has only 1.1v. This simplified schematic is...
  11. runningdog

What adhesive do you prefer for faceplate grommets?

What adhesive do you prefer for reattaching faceplate grommets for 22xx models? I've used Aleen's Tacky Glue, and super glue liquid and gel. They seem to work, but I don't know for how long, or if either of them is the best choice for the plastic and aluminum surfaces.
  12. runningdog

This 2230 P150 C183 was factory installed per marked polarity

"Everybody" knows that the 2230 P150 C183 capacitor polarity is marked incorrectly on the board. And that a replacement capacitor should be installed the reverse of the markings. This applies to the P150 board on several models. This is how the cap is usually installed from the factory: But...
  13. runningdog

Tips for removing tape residue on Marantz metal covers

A nice 2270 fixer just came in, but clear packing tape was applied to the Genuine Wood Veneer Vinyl metal cover. All the tape is removed. Most of the glue "rolled" off by sliding it with my thumb. All that is left is a sticky residue. In the past I've tested acetone and "Goof Off" solvents...
  14. runningdog

2245 P200 FM IF board - do any units have electrolytic capacitors?

Have you ever seen electrolytic capacitors on the 2245 P200 IF board? Or are all 2245's sans electrolytic caps? A quick check of the 2245's here shows not a single electrolytic. I have it in my head that some do, some don't. This could just be a hippie dream. Please let me know if you have...
  15. runningdog

My dog hates Marantz 2325's

Whenever I power up a 2325, my dog leaves the room, giving me a look on his way out. Whatever he hears goes away quickly, and he can be convinced to come back, as long as I promise not to do it again soon. This happens with lower wattage models too, but all 2325's are particularly annoying to...
  16. runningdog

2275 hum on unloaded Aux and Tape 1 inputs

Is it normal to have a low volume hum when the input jacks for the selected source are unloaded? I know it is normal for Phono inputs. Set the Selector to Aux, and turn the volume waaay up. Low hum in both channels. Plug a CD player into the Aux input jacks and the hum is gone. Same result...
  17. runningdog

Tips for restoring FM performance in vintage Marantz tuners

I'm asking for your tips for restoring FM performance in vintage Marantz tuners/receivers. The receivers I see vary widely in their ability to pull in stations, even with the same model. The best ones perform well before any alignment or parts replacements are made, and very slightly better...
  18. runningdog

Marantz 2230 transformer with open secondary

I have a 2230 with an open secondary. It is the pair going to the rectifier. There is power to the lights and the power supply. I'd like to fix rather than replace this transformer if possible. I see that some (all?) 2230 transformers have a thermal fuse. But would that affect only a single...
  19. runningdog

2275 pops when powering on, and off

This Marantz 2275 pops when powering on, and less so when powering off. Not the 'thump' of a 1060 powering up. But a noticeable and measurable pop, in both channels. The pops are varying each time, peaking between .5 volt up to 3 volts. When the main amps and relay are in circuit, the pop...
  20. runningdog

2325 transformer goes "boiing" when powered on

The transformer on this Marantz 2325 makes a noise for a second when powered on. Like a "boiing" springy kind of sound. Not every time it is turned on. Maybe 1/2 the time. Sometimes several times in a row, sometimes not. It is definitely the transformer as I can feel it as well as hear it. It...
  21. runningdog

Marantz 2325 pops when turned off

This Marantz 2325 pops when turned off. Adjusting the bias did not change it. Both channels pop. As high as 0.4V, measured using max value on a DMM. The pop was present before rebuilding the receiver, and is still there afterwards. If the 2325 has a preamp connected to the Main In jacks...
  22. runningdog

Make your own die cut meter diffusers

I'll do anything to avoid cutting out meter diffusers by hand. This project solved that problem. You can make your own die cut meter diffusers. It just takes a steel die, and a die press. The die is ordered from China. The die press can be purchased used. Total cost about $80. Or use your bench...
  23. runningdog

Tips for cleaning fuse clips on power supply board

Here's a 2325 P800 power supply board with corroded fuse clips. Several models have these clips on the power supply. I'm asking for your tips on cleaning the clips for good contact with the fuse? How do you do it? As a start, some 100% DeoxIT has been applied. But suggestions short of...
  24. runningdog

2230 with high distortion

I have a newly rebuilt 2230. It is a clean receiver and the rebuild went smoothly. Until distortion testing. The Total Harmonic Distortion measures high in both channels. The spec calls for <0.5% THD. This receiver exceeds that by the time it is putting out 2 volts per channel. At 15.5v (30w) it...
  25. runningdog

2240 FM has a compressed tuning range - 88MHz - 106.5MHz on the dial

I'm unable to adjust the oscillator so that the FM tuning range goes from 88 to 108 on the dial scale. The low end can be adjusted so 88MHz is 88 on the dial scale. But the high end 108MHz signal can be adjusted only to 106.5 on the dial scale, no higher. The full range of signals from 88 to...
Back
Top Bottom