Search results

1. Treker

How good are the AR-XA turntables?

And what exactly would be "The Best Turntable Ever" anyway? Turntables are a series of trade offs. What is my "Best Turntable Ever" will likely not be yours, or the next person's. Sound, aesthetics, convenience, and $$$, among others, are all considerations. IMHO, there are many very good and...
  2. Treker

Replacement Motor for AR-XA Turntable

Dave, I have a quick question for you. Since you are using the same motor as George, does that mean your motor is compatible with his outboard Digital Motor Drive (“DMD”) too?
  3. Treker

So here's another thought I've had. What would be the disadvantages of going with a low voltage ac motor/wall wort transformer combo and then mounting the transformer in the turntable as a power supply? That would keep the turntable neat and clean on the back with just the need for RCA output...
  4. Treker

Darn! I knew I should have ordered that motor last night when I saw you were down to your last one. Oh well, I'm in the middle of a move right now anyway, so not in much of a position to do anything about it right now. But once things are settled (in about 3 months) and you have these back in...
  5. Treker

Thanks! That's a very helpful link. Also, I just looked at Dave's (vinylnirvana.com) eBay listing for his low voltage upgrade motor, and the wall wort power supply shown in a 12VAC 500ma unit, so it's not the same as these Hurst motors. Not that these Hurst motors might not still be a good...
  6. Treker

I have two AR-XAs, and a Thorens TD-160. Thankfully the motor still works in the Thorens, but it has had the lower bushing mod to help deal with the tic, tic, tic, that are common on these motors. But yeah, options are good.
  7. Treker

Interesting... and good information. Thanks for sharing everyone. But I'm curious, do the low voltage motors that George Merrill and Dave at vinylnirvana.com sell cause a hum with the Grado carts? And what exactly is causing the Grado's to hum? A stronger magnetic field produced by the Hurst motors?
  8. Treker

Yeah, I'm not finding it on his website either, but it is still available in his eBay store. That and the delrin pulley.
  9. Treker

I don't currently own any Grado carts, buy I have wanted to try them, so it might be a better long term upgrade path to go with either the Merrill GEM Dandy motor or the one Dave at Vinylnirvana.com sells. Being that they are about the same price, is there really much of a difference performance...
  10. Treker

Thanks! Now to decide which motor to go with. The more expensive low voltage model with a wall wort transformer that Dave sells or the less expensive Hurst 3001-001 that runs at normal line voltage. Is there any consensus these days as to which option sounds better? And what about the GEM Dandy...
  11. Treker

That's kinda what I figured as far as mounting, but what about the pully? Will the one from the Haydon motor work or will I need one of Dave's new copolymer pulleys as well?
  12. Treker

For reference, here's a picture of the turntable I'm talking about.
  13. Treker

I have a modded AR-XA Turntable with a Haydon motor that is noisy and is no longer responding to the addition of lubrication oil, so I'm in need of a new motor. What's the recommended replacement motor these days? I see that Dave from Vinylnirvana.com has a low voltage replacement motor for the...
  14. Treker

Pics of your listening space

I haven't posted in this thread (or even AK) much recently, but thought I would come back and share a few updated pics of my audio listening room. The biggest recent addition are the ESS AMT 1B speakers. I'm gonna miss this room, as it looks like we will be moving in a couple of months. Of...
  15. Treker

Marc Morin - Rest In Peace Our Friend

I haven't been very active on AK as of late either, but I heard about Marc's passing in an Instagram post, and just wanted to stop by and give my condolences to the group here on AK. He will definitely be missed.
  16. Treker

Help me design my Hot Rod AR-XA

What minimum size power switch do I need for my AR-XA upgrade? I found one I really like, but it is only a 6a 125vac switch. Should that be large enough, or do I need to move up to something with a higher amp rating?
  17. Treker

I think it could probably be made to work on an XA, but you would have to relocate the tonearm side subchassis suspension spring mounting point on the bottom of the top plate. Marc suggested this very thing earlier in this thread.
  18. Treker

It's amazing what a little work with a ScotchBrite pad can do for an oxidized brass AR logo.
  19. Treker

Thanks for the input Marc. I guess I'll see what I can work out to get an adapter plate fabricated out of aluminum then.
  20. Treker

I got the AR-XA up and running yesterday. It's not done by any means, as it needs a lot more modding, but at least it's operational. I think I've also decided to fabricate the permanent adapter plate out of Delrin. It's very stiff, and being plastic, it will be easier to work with the tools I have.
  21. Treker

Thanks Marc. That's kinda what I thought too. Now I'm wondering if I should maybe restore this badge and move it over to my early AR-XA two motor turntable since it would be more period correct for that one. Humm... Just curious though if you or anyone else has any comments about the preferred...
  22. Treker

50 years ago today

I definitely have a lot of "new to me" old music left to discover. Even Led Zeppelin is still pretty new to me. But it was considered "Devil music" when I was growing up, so I never was exposed to it. My age was I'm sure a factor too though. By the time I started getting into music in a serious...
  23. Treker

Well, I got the AR-XA reassembled this evening with the prototype plywood parts. Mainly I did this to check fit and function before tearing it back apart again in order to start stripping the top plate in preparation for painting. So far, so good. I'll probably mount a cartridge and see how it...
  24. Treker

50 years ago today

Yes, indeed I do, but I kind of led a sheltered life growing up. That "kind of music" was prohibited in my house, and it's only been as an adult that I have discovered some of the classics of the '60's and '70's. Heck, it wasn't until a few years ago that I listened to Sgt. Pepper's for the...
  25. Treker

50 years ago today

Being a bit younger than you (I was 5 in 1968) that is an album that I have never listened to. However, it is definitely on my "Wish List."
Back
Top Bottom