Search results

1. Brett a

Why is my teak decking chalky, and what can I do about it? (photos)

Hi all. I rebuilt my small front porch last fall and the teak boards have turned chalky. It started to happen pretty much right away, but has worsened considerably over the winter. They have three coats of Watco/Rust-Oleum teak oil on them. I was planning on doing more sanding and sealing this...
  2. Brett a

Why won't my headphone jack switch back to speakers? (Bose Companion 2 computer speakers)

Hi all. I use a set of Bose Companion 2 Series II computer speakers for my TV and like them quite a lot, but I tripped over my headphone cable, it didn't pull the plug out of the speaker, but rather pulled the speaker off the low shelf under the TV. Now the unit won't switch back to speakers...
  3. Brett a

I can't tell you how much I am loving this lowly Dual 1212

I'm sure some of you have had a similar experience. You hook up some found combination of gear with no expectation except to enjoy fidgeting around for an evening, and you happen to stumble into something that sounds better than you'd ever have expected. That's what's happening right now with...
  4. Brett a

How are we supposed to know what our valuable LPs are worth with prices all over the place?!

Over the years, I've taken in several record collections from people I have known. Some of the LPs are genuinely valuable. But looking at the market, it seems impossible to know just how valuable. For instance, I see Beatles Sgt Peppers early mono pressings (with -4 matrix) with inserts and...
  5. Brett a

Been away for a while. What's going on with the value of the Shure SC35C?

Hi all. I've been away from the hobby for a couple years, but was just cleaning out my old orphan cartridge drawer. Sorting and deciding what to keep, I came across a Shure SC35C. It was a $30 clunker when I put it in the drawer. Now apparently it's a $400 cartridge. ($120 used to $399 n.o.s.)...
  6. Brett a

Imagine how pleased I was to see this Parquet Courts CD trigger the HDCD light on the Rotel.

I thought HDCD was long gone. And, although I firmly believe there is more excellent muic being made today than any time in history, I do not expect anyone in the production chain to care about the fidelity of the recording. I've been really getting into Parquet Courts lately. (This was not an...
  7. Brett a

I'm shopping for a new 2 channel recevier. Not much out there, is there?

Hi all. I'm helping a friend who wants to replace his 90's-vintage BPC receiver that's developed an intermittent channel. (No, it's not just dirty controls). He just wants a good quality unit that can drive a pair of Klipsch KG 2.2 for satisfying semi-critical listening. (He's a choir...
  8. Brett a

Is this a grace tonearm on this Kenwood?

Is that a grace arm? I'm not familiar enough to know. This photo is all I have to offer. A friend texted it to me for an opinion. The 'table looks like a KD-550? But those had stock S-arms. And while we're at it, what Grado is that? Thanks for your time. ---Brett
  9. Brett a

George Watsky Doesn't Need a F&ckin' Emcee name.

He's been in heavy rotation lately. Careful, it's got a hook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwWDPsYkoo
  10. Brett a

Mono Jazz LPs, Mono Cartridge, Idler Drive 'Table, Tubes and Horns = BLISS!!!

Un-eff'ing real! It kinda' crept up on me after years of pursuing more and more refined stereo performance. I thought my foray into mono was nothing more than a fun little distraction. But not too long ago, i was sitting in my dark living room listening to an original mono pressing of The...
  11. Brett a

Best way to Park Slope, Brooklyn from the Merritt?

I need to pick some folks up in Park Slope Brooklyn and I really only know Manhattan. I'm very familiar with the west side highway. It's how I've been getting in and out of Manhattan for years. Merritt to Cross County to the very bottom of the Sawmill to the Henry Hudson/West Side Highway) It...
  12. Brett a

Is vertical compliance the only concern when playing a stereo LP with a mono cart?

I just received and mounted my first true mono cartridge, an Audio-Technica AT-MONO3/LP. The product description says the following: Does this mean I can spin any LP from any era under it? Or is there some other concern in addition. ?
  13. Brett a

CL listing: free tube console Greenfield MA (no affil)

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/atq/4838001726.html "Free: Stereo cabinet circa 1940s mahogany. Am/fm radio turntable that plays 78's and 33's. The hi-fi works will Need a needle and I'm guessing some work. Very heavy will need two people to move. "
  14. Brett a

Electrical spike, loud pop, subwoofer plate amp dead. Now what?

Hi all. Just as the title says, loud pop, main two-channel amp into protection, now my sub woofer plate amp is dead to the world. I looked inside it. No fuses to be seen. Thankfully everything else in the system is okay. Is it landfill? BTW, it's this: Yung SD500 500W Class D...
  15. Brett a

Anything I need to know about taking 12+ year old film to be developed?

Hi all. I have 12 disposable cameras and 3 or 4 rolls of 35mm film from my wedding back in May of 2002 that I would like to take in and see what might still be good on them. (They spent a few years out in my unheated barn FWIW.) Is there anything I should bear in mind? I am planning on...
  16. Brett a

Is there a correlation between heater glow and audible performance?

Hi all. I've really been enjoying rolling 6sn7s in my preamp (see sig). But the brightness of the heaters is never the same in any pair of tubes. I just received a pair of 1950's vintage RCA black plate bottom D getters from ebay that reportedly tested strong and matched, yet I can't even...
  17. Brett a

Decent looking $50 'table on Western Mass CL (Shure cart?)

No affiliation, etc. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/4794350761.html
  18. Brett a

I’ve bought a pair of Klipsch and I may never be the same! Advice needed.

I recently bought a pair of KLF-20s from a friend who was the original owner. They are in great condition, no rattles or whistles. I am totally captivated by their huge holographic presentation and the way they convey the spirit and momentum of music. I listen to mostly acoustic Jazz; Sonny...
  19. Brett a

Who made this British 5AR4 rectifier tube?

This is what came on the Audio Electronics AE-3 MkII preamp I bought (used). If it had any markings, they've all rubbed off save for the "GR BRITON" low on the glass. Any idea?
  20. Brett a

CL: Interesting standmounts (with stands) in Hudson Valley

A pair of Canadian Sound Dynamic standmounts with sand-filled stands (say that 3 times fast) in Hudson Valley NY. (No affil etc) Could be $250 well spent. http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/ele/4783331304.html
  21. Brett a

$20 Yamaha CR-820 project on CL in Northampton, MA

Just saw this: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/4789067898.html From the ad:
  22. Brett a

What's going on with the pump in my basement?

EDIT TO ADD: Solved at post #12 I want to see if it's something I can address w/o calling someone. Symptoms: Water pressure drops too low before pump cycles on. Low enough to have difficulty washing a car or taking a shower. (It can stay low for the duration of a shower) Pump...
  23. Brett a

Bosq Of Whiskey Barons

I can't get enough of this album: Bosq Y Orquesta De Madera http://bosqofwhiskeybaronsubiq.bandcamp.com/album/bosq-y-orquesta-de-madera Especially this tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfGpOfbXZw Anyone herd of Mendee Ichikawa here? She's part of the Free Moral Agents collective.
  24. Brett a

Audacity basics for digitizing LPs or cassetes etc.

I wrote this all up as a response to a PM I received recently. I thought since I had taken the time, I'd share it with everyone. It assumes you know generally how to make Audacity function; how to get it to pick up the incoming signal, how to set record levels, how choose your output...
  25. Brett a

The quest continues.

Trying to deal with some glare and fatigue. I thought it might be my speakers. My dealer thought amplification. (I love that they're called "dealers".) Today they sent me home with a Conrad Johnson set on loan. A Classic 2 SE preamp and a Classic Sixty amp (not the SE). Nice guys. I've only...
Back
Top Bottom