Search results

1. A

New 100 WPC Power Amp

I am posting this for a friend, he wants a new amp (as in brand new) to replace a B$K amp that bit the dust. Any suggestions for him?....Thanks
  2. A

Speakers for jazz

KEF 103.2 is a fantastic jazz speaker...
  3. A

What We Hear

I get a little disturbed when someone one on this forum names a component and says it sounds fantastic. By what criteria do you say this? To an untrained ear there is a lot of crap that may sound fantastic to them. But is it fantastic. I have been in this hobby for 53 years and I am glad that I...
  4. A

Been Done To Death?...Belt Drive Vs Direct Drive Thread!

Type does matter....he...he. If you had been through as many turntables as I have both DD and belt you would hear and understand grasshopper...
  5. A

Help choosing my first turntable

You cant go wrong with this turntable. Your NAD amp and Goodmans speakers will be a nice match with this turntable. I would say don't hesitate...
  6. A

Buying vintage or new for my very modest setup

Michael Fremer from Analogue Planet did a review of the AT LP-120 and said it was a bargain...
  7. A

Marantz 6300 or Thorens TD145

Personally, I am partial to belt drive turntables. I have owned Thorens TD-150, 125, Ar XE and others. For direct drives I have owned Technics 1200, 110, Sp-15, Sp-25. I have been able to compare one to another using the same cart, electronics and speakers. To me, the DD sounded flat. The belt...
  8. A

Phono preamp recommendations

No offense to those that like the ART DJ phono budget phono preamp but it was built to a budget bt a company that makes recording equipment. There are plenty of used phono preamps out there for under $100 like the Shiit Mani, Little Bear Cambridge Audio and others
  9. A

What should my new cartridge be?

A lot depends on how much money you want to spend. I favor new cartridges because, well they are new and have fresh suspensions...how much, how much?
  10. A

Technics SC 1700 Japanese Console with Interesting Speakers, turntable troubleshooting question

Very cool find. Does it have any acoustic feedback when you crank it up? I have been thinking of making something like this with my Pioneer SX-737 receiver and Dual 1219 turntable. I have a couple of 8" high efficiency drivers that I need to built cabs for. Your looks like a great platform to...
  11. A

School me on vintage Denon direct drive turntables

I wish it was that simple....
  12. A

Direct comparison between Art DJPre II & Schiit Mani...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mani trounces the Art. The Art Audio Company is know for making budget everything. They are real not home audio guys. They make budget stuff for recording audio. Shiit is more of an audiophile company although they make some budget stuff to. They strive to give the...
  13. A

Best Turntable Match for Denon DL110

I have owned two Empire 208's and sold them both. To much motor sound getting through and the motor was well isolated with new rubber grommets. I sure like the looks of it though. That's what attracted me to it in the first place. Oh, I mounted a Jelco SA-750 on both of mine...
  14. A

How Good is the Thorens TD-320

I don't believe the TD-320 is as good as a value as you can get from other brands. I think you are paying for the name and import fees . There are some rally good ones out there like the Pro-Ject The Classic
  15. A

Why was the Grace F9e discontinued and has any other company achieved the sound of that cartridge?

I have owned a few Grace F9E's over the years and compared to every cartridge I ever owned, it was the best sounding one if it was mounted in the right arm. Which was surprise, a Grace 707. These were a match made in heaven. The bass from this combo was the best I had heard from any of my...
  16. A

Snell E/III Speakers - question for owners

While you are checking I would tighten all the screws on all the drivers while you are at it. They tend to come loose with time....
  17. A

1960s Garrard TT: Simple Yes or No Question

So you wanted a yes or no answer? Not on this forum....
  18. A

Is This A Nice Table?

In stock form it's even a great turntable. Beats a lot of DD turntables like my Denon PD-37...
  19. A

School me on vintage Denon direct drive turntables

It all depends, what are you looking for in a turntable? Do you want a manual, semi auto, or automatic turntable? I posted a on another thread that I compared a DP-37 with a AR belt drive and it was way better than the Denon. I think Denon has made some mistakes in the past regarding tonearms...
  20. A

Cool That Tube Amp Chassis With A Fan! . . . .

Is it wise to cool down tubes that were designed to run at certain temperatures? Sorry if the question sounds naive, I am new to tubes. I have a Nobesound 8 watt per channel amp, would this benefit from a fan?
  21. A

Good sounding 2-way with 6.5" - 8" woofer and less than 20" high?

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but Snell Type K would meet your criteria. They have a 8" woofer....
  22. A

Munted Kef 103.2's.....

It depends on how big the tear is. I owned a pair of your speakers that had a 1/2" tear in them. I removed the driver and used clear shipping tape to do the repair from the back of the driver. It worked perfectly...
  23. A

Been Done To Death?...Belt Drive Vs Direct Drive Thread!

Years ago I had a Denon DD turntable. Not one of there expensive ones, I think it was a DP-37. Anyway, I saw a AR belt drive TT for sale for little money so I decided to try a belt drive. This AR was one of the first ones made and it killed the Denon. I just happened to have two of the same...
  24. A

Thorens 125 M2 dust cover

I purchased my TD-125 dust cover from Ebay from a different vendor (can't remember the name) Mine sits on the plinth the one pictured seems to sit on the shelf top. Nothing wrong with that but just so you know....
  25. A

How many LPs before a New Cart breaks in ?

That depends on the cartridge compliance. If it is a low compliance cart. it will take longer. If it is a high compliance cart. then 30 hours should do it....
Back
Top Bottom