Search results

1. A

New 100 WPC Power Amp

I am posting this for a friend, he wants a new amp (as in brand new) to replace a B$K amp that bit the dust. Any suggestions for him?....Thanks
  2. A

What We Hear

I get a little disturbed when someone one on this forum names a component and says it sounds fantastic. By what criteria do you say this? To an untrained ear there is a lot of crap that may sound fantastic to them. But is it fantastic. I have been in this hobby for 53 years and I am glad that I...
  3. A

Small Desk Top Amp

I am looking for one to amplify the sound on my laptop computer. I don't want cheap but I don't want to go crazy either. This must be an integrated amp of course. Both SS and tube will be considered. Thanks Guys
  4. A

OK, This Is A Weird One....

Are newer replacement dust covers better than the original ones? Has plastic technology improved since then? I ordered a new dust cover off of Ebay for my Thorens TD-125 and was wondering....
  5. A

ST-35

How much would one expect to pay for a functional ST-35 these days?
  6. A

Chinese vs USA Amps

I have a SS Forte Audio 1a pure class A amp that is 50 watts a channel that I compared my Chinese Nobsound NS-02D EL34 class A SEP 8 watts a channel amp to. The Forte 1a was $1800. when new. The Nobsound was $335. I have had the 1a for awhile, last march I had it checked and re-biased by a tech...
  7. A

Vintage Tube Amps And Power Cords

On some of the vintage tube amps I have seen, the power cord is smaller that the power cord on my turntable. Would these tube amps benefit from higher quality power cords? Even my Chinese tube amps have receptacles for installing higher quality cords...
  8. A

Vintage Power Amps With Meters

I have been wanting to get a vintage Marantz power amp with meters. The thing that has stopped me is the meters themselves. What if they break? Are they repairable? Are there new meters out there that will fit? What do others do about this. Thanks for any replies...
  9. A

Dynaco Pass 3 and 3X Differences

Is one considered better than the other?
  10. A

New Speakers

A couple of months ago I posted inquiring about suggestions for vintage speakers. I got some very good recommendations, some didn't apply because I needed a high efficiency speaker (using a 8 watt amp) I looked at Klipsch (I had never owned horns before) The ones I really wanted were the...
  11. A

Running Low Power Tube Amps In Summer

I live in the high desert of Arizona. It gets to about 95 degrees during summer months. I wan to run my 8 watt tube amp. I dont have air conditioning but have a ceiling fan that keeps the air moving pretty well. Lower wattage amps have fewer tubes and produce less heat collectively but I am...
  12. A

Pioneer A-500 Integrated Amp

These are from the early 70's. Does anyone own one that can comment as to how they sound? I like the looks of them and want to use one as a backup to my main amps. The speakers are 98db efficient so I don't need a lot of power.Thanks
  13. A

Nobsound NS-02 EL34 SE Class A Amp and HiFi 6j4+6p6p Class A Preamp

I purchase these two because they were cheap. I didn't know what to expect, fingers crossed. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only of the build quality of these two but the sound. I was using a Counterpoint SA-1000 pre and Forte Model 1a class A amp. I paired the new pre and amp with a Yaqin 23b...
  14. A

Your Favorite EL34 or Equivelent Power Tube

What say ye....
  15. A

Which To Keep.....

Ya another one of those threads, I have two Thorens turntables, a TD-124 and a TD-125 both of these turntables are highly regarded. Maybe the TD-124 a little more. I cant keep them both. Both tables will have a Fidelity Research FR-54 tone arm. Actually I only have one FR-54 the other table will...
  16. A

Single Ended Vs Push-Pull Tube Amps

I have heard this terminology but don't know what it means. And is one topology better than the others? Or is it just a matter of preference? Thanks
  17. A

10-15 Watt Tube Power Amp To Mate with MY Tekton Lores

Looking for a low wattage amp for these. I am looking for a power amp only...
  18. A

Thorens TD-125 Arm Board

Does anyone have the dimensions of this arm board that they can share? I am expecting delivery of a TD-125 with out arm board and I want to get a head start on making one. Thanks
  19. A

Vintage Speakers For A Vintage System

My system right now is a Thorens TD-125/ Fidelity Research FR-54 arm using a Denon DL-103 with Counterpoint SA-1000 preamp and Forte Model 1A 50w class A amp. I am looking for some floor standing speakers that aren't to big for this system. I listen to all different kinds of music. Any...
  20. A

Thorens TD-125 Turntable

I have recently purchased one off of Ebay without tonearm. I am planning on installing a Fidelity Research FR-54 arm on it. I will have to make a new arm board and get a new belt for it. Anything else that I need to do to get it running properly? Thanks for all replies...
  21. A

Monitor Audio Bronze 6

I purchased these speakers a couple of months ago and thought I would post my impressions. These are a 2 1/2 way design with two 6 1/2" woofers a 6 1/2" mid-range and of course a tweeter. The first impression is that these are smooth sounding speakers. This would imply that they were soft...
  22. A

Tube Preamps

I didn't know whether to post this in tubes or SS. Since this is mainly about a tube preamp I am posting here. Has anyone had success using a tube pre with a SS amp? Is it harder to match them than say all SS or all tube? Your thoughts please....
  23. A

Monitor Audio Bronze 6

I purchased these about a month ago, I wanted to let them break in before making any comments. I purchased these new from Audio Advisor. They are a 2 1/2 way design with two 6" woofers, one 6" mid-range and the bronze tweeter. I have owned a lot of speakers in my 55 yrs. in this hobby and must...
  24. A

Wharfedale 80th. Aniv. Speakers And Tube Electronics

Has anyone tried this speaker with tubes yet. Anyone compare them with tubes and SS? Thanks
  25. A

ADS Speakers To Mount On 16" Stands

What models would be appropriate for this size stand? Thanks for any replies....
Back
Top Bottom