Search results

1. skiroe

Cambridge Audio CXC vs Nuprime CDT-8 vs Audiolab 6000CDT

Just found this so a little late to the party but thought I would mention a good site where by most players/transports can be found and identify which mechanism they are using. https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl my Lambda just turned into a possessed transport. Tray jitters and...
  2. skiroe

is there any way to ship outside the US safely?

I would not ship out of the US without waiting till next year or when Covid infection has dropped dramatically and when there is a vaccine. I shipped a couple lb box to Germany back in May I think it was and it took OVER a month to get there and had to initiate a lost in transit complaint ...
  3. skiroe

How to ship a 40 pound speaker

I always just called it 'polyfoam" --to best describe its the type of foam that does not crack or break and is often used in high end components due to its cost many builders of entry level just use styrofoam. I have received a few products over the years that came damaged and were packed by...
  4. skiroe

Dehavilland Ultraverve 3 in da house

Not on here much these days found the thread as was looking up Kara's pre again. I have something you can clarify for me possibly. In the Dagogo review he mentions how the stepped volume control in most stepped is not as good as the UV. I just edited this as looked on Kara's site and...
  5. skiroe

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Wendy O Williams I believe? Just looked it up --- unless there was another Wendy O that would be the Williams of the Plasmatics. Sure sounds like her from what you described. She committed suicide. It wasnt a rash decision apparently ...
  6. skiroe

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Terra Australis Jack Hertz and Michael Meara
  7. skiroe

Packing/Shipping 101

I have been packing up components for more than the last 10 yrs since I got started in this "addiction". Initially , I had heard things like one carrier being better than another and of course there is no truth to that. I have had dealers ship to me who you would think would be on top of it but...
  8. skiroe

Packing/Shipping 101

gonna try posting at the end of this thread.
  9. skiroe

McCormack Amp Info Thread

That makes sense and conforms more to the way I had initially perceived---concerning cost points and the process implemented to improve on the design. Thanks for the clarification.
  10. skiroe

Good stuff to know. It particularly sheds light on what I think you are saying is the Deluxe was a needed revision to the boards. I had always been under the impression (because I really did not check on the forums that much) That all the revisions were done primarily to upgrade sonics...
  11. skiroe

Simply Sound, Thanks very much for that info. It does sound like THE place to send a McCormack amp for a check up or restoration. I did read in another post somewhere that there was an issue with a board or boards in possibly the .5's , I forget now already which amp. Yours had cooked...
  12. skiroe

I have my DNA-0.5 in to Steve Peppin at Clifton Audio right now being tuned up. I was so impressed with the repairs he did to the DNA-1, that I thought I'd have him reset the bias and basically check everything out on the DNA-0.5. Can't wait to get it back and see how it treats the...
  13. skiroe

Ever wondered what the inside of an Ohm FRS-11 looks like? me too.. lets find out

I've read through the entire thread and have read enough and despite all the positive comments regarding good sonics I can't reconcile the cost factor. So I wont consider OHM as a possibility. I would like to hear more though if anyone has more info regarding the rats nest. I have very...
  14. skiroe

Tube Arcing

Not quite getting how one would think that the bad tube would wind up being hawked by some dishonest person? I assume you are referring to the 5U4G ? I still plan on checking it some more (banging on it harder) when checking for shorts and possibly even see how it reacts in a different amp...
  15. skiroe

Tube Arcing

most technical info that I would l need to wrap my head around. thanks again. A clarification that may help and I would hope infers that Assemblage incorporated a circuit that takes into account PIV,,etc. The rectifier sockets (2) are labeled from the factory--- CV378, 5u4G, 5AR4 which...
  16. skiroe

Tube Arcing

Dave, thanks very much for all that info. I'm still thinking this is arcing in the 5u4G-- I replaced it this morning with another vintage RCA and there was no arcing or other phenomena at start up. To further detail--this amp is not vintage but a factory built Assemblage 300b SE.. Please...
  17. skiroe

Tube Arcing

To be clear--- I think that the Mullards in this amp are the new production Mullards and not the original British made... I just think that when you generally buy an amp that includes tubes its not likely that the seller is going to let go of his best tubes. Sure it happens.. especially with...
  18. skiroe

Tube Arcing

blue arcing Well, this is quite an old thread but maybe it will go out on notification basis. I'm enjoying (sort of, not really) search for authentic Mullard GZ 37's and didnt realize that new production GZ37's are being made along with other" Mullard" tube types. It started with one of...
  19. skiroe

Gabe Valez tube amps

Anyone have experience with the builder of the MAG-1515 which is a reworking of a classic Magnavox 15 wpc p/p el 84 tube amp. His pricing is reasonable. Based on my communication :thmbsp: with a seller of one of his amps on Audiogon I thought I would find some trace of him in the forums...
  20. skiroe

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

just checked at turn on.. 26 on side and 36 mv on the other. doesnt seem like offset is an issue. Apparently there is no way to adjust either.. I'm told its in the matched parts. maybe something else causing the thump.
  21. skiroe

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

direct coupled aleph J clone check I've just begun to give this class A AJ clone a serious listen and although it seems to sound just great there is a speaker thump when the amp is shut OFF. The "thump" is more like a sucking sound ttttttttthhhhhiiip.. with a sonic signature of course. What...
  22. skiroe

FM stations Any good sounding ones where you are?

I would venture to say that the alternative fm stations here in the bay area are straight up analog although most all are beaming digital on the web as well. I suspect that is separate equipment and wonder myself how that is done. Granted lots of older equipment likely prevails but that keeps...
  23. skiroe

Who's the Sansui Tuner repair guy?

Tom at Northridge Electronics in Simi Valley, CA is an old school tech who really knows his stuff. He designed a particular Onkyo tuner back in the 80's I think it was. His old school bench tech method eschews modding for the most part it seemed to me. He has a wealth of experience in...
  24. skiroe

Sunday Night FM

Got the Back 40 on right now. Are you saying he lived in Berkeley at that time? Now I remember a really intense Joe Frank episode that I recorded back when I had an Advent deck (forget the model #) in the 80's sometime. One of the first of that era to bring hi quality sonics to a home...
  25. skiroe

Sunday Night FM

sunday nite I heard that. Speaking of those days. I am concerned cuz at the moment it sounds like the station has lost it. Usually sunday has radio drama on from around 7p. and that seems to be off and theres rap on now,, Yikes.. :scratch2: Speaking of KFJC.. I mostly listen to it...
Back
Top Bottom