Search results

1. R

leaking Ajax electorlytics in Spec 2?

3 out of 4 leaked I finally got around to removing the the leaky Hitachi electrolytics from the Spec 2. Here'e a photo showing the four Hitachis and one of the new Adcoms. The Hitachi at the front left is the only "good" one but even its vent is "ballooned" out and was probably close to...
  2. Leaking caps

Leaking caps

Leaking caps
  3. R

I ended up ordering four of the Adcom 22000uF Apex has now. They are 1/4" taller so they are not not just the same cap in a different wrapper. I spoke to Steve to place the order and get shipping costs and found out that the black Hitachi's were Chinese counterfeits. I'm hoping the caps...
  4. R

The unit still has the original diodes. When I pull it down next I will look a bit closer with the scope and see how the diodes look. Saturday I just did a quick clean up and used a DVM to measure voltage DC and AC ripple. I also replaced the input RCA jacks. The grounds were bad/loose on...
  5. R

Lee, I will try to get a photo soon but I can't find a camera. They are black. They are labeled HGC FA, 22,000uF 100VDC, 2X B7, 105C (new line at commas). I Purchased 4 on 3/9/08. I stripped one of the original caps' post threads and ordered a single piece on 4/2/08 to replace it. I...
  6. R

Thanks for the memory jog. Apex Jr is correct. I could not remember the exact name and Ajax was all that came up in my old memory bank. I did some seaching for replacement caps at Mouser and as I recall from back in 08 they are hard to find and expensive. Ray
  7. R

I repaired and rebuilt my Spec2 back in spring of 2008. I replaced the large cans with 22,000uF 100V from Apex Jr. per suggestions here. All has apparently been fine but I took the Spec 2 down to replace the original RCA input jacks that had bad ground conections. I noticed a dried up...
  8. R

SPEC-2 Refurb Help Please

Nice Rack!
  9. R

Citation 11 Cable Harness

I know we would all like to keep stuff original, but have you concidered replacing the unobtanium 5-pin din socket on the back of the pre amp with two banana 5-way binding posts? Think Pioneer Spec 1. This would depend on the amount of room behind the original din socket. Ray
  10. R

What am I doing wrong? Bad bass...

If you find the amp is not the problem you may consider one of these for an unbalanced to balanced converter. http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=45 When I added Crown pro amps to my center and surounds I could not balance the 5.1 speaker setup properly. My old Pioneer Spec 2 on the...
  11. R

SX-1280 Broken Heat Sink fins.

Some thermally conductive epoxy may work to attach the broken fins for a DIY project. Ray
  12. R

Low volume from subwoofer plate amp.

Ive purchased a couple plate amps from Parts Express to replace burned out OEM subwoofer amps. One JBL 12" sub I had died after about two years of use. I found out there were many owners with bad amps on this model. I cannot remember the brand I purchased from Parts Express but it was much...
  13. R

NEED HELP!!! Protect mode on a Pioneer VSX-D409 Reciever

You could check to see that the speaker connections to the reciever are not loose or shorting to anything. If you were recently moving things around you may have jogged a speaker connetion loose. Ray
  14. R

What impednace do I set the amp for ?

Post in the Pioneer forum. Echowars is the Pioneer Spec X series expert and will probably get back to you on this. I own a Spec II and I'm not sure exactly what it the switch does. I believe it may keep the power meters in line. Ray
  15. R

Soldering to fluorescent tubes?

It sounds like a T-5 (5/8") tube. Here is a link to sockets for T-5 F-Lamps. http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/SocketsFlT5 You can also solder to the pins if you would like. There is really no contact between the pins and flourescent tube glass so it could be done without...
  16. R

Where can I find a proper hex key for this bolt??? (picture)

Security bits I got my set years ago from MCM Electronics. Page 460 in this PDF. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Catalog52/section22.pdf Ray
  17. R

Sa-9500ii & Spec-1

Erich, Perhaps a bath in DeOxit and FaderLube will bring the "feel" back. Ray
  18. R

Sa-9500ii & Spec-1

Erich, Perhaps a bath in DeOxit and FaderLube will bring the "feel" back. Ray
  19. R

Using SA 8800 and SA 9800 at same time

one pre, two power amps Whitebread, I would take the 9800 pre amp left and right outputs and add one of these. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-510 Its an RCA male to two RCA females. After these are connected to the left and right outputs of the pre amp you...
  20. R

stereo in car

The other fundamental problem with small inverters is they want to run resistive loads. A reciever presents an inductive load so you need to "derate" the power output. There should be some mention of this in the inverter manual or even written of the inverter. The "modified sine wave"...
  21. R

First AKfest WOW!

I only joined Audiokarma this past March and booked a room as soon as I stumbled onto the AKfest info. It was an easy three hour drive for me from Cleveland and a friend came along for the company when my wife could not make it. I got to meet and thank EchoWars in person for all his fine...
  22. R

Pioneer SPEC 2 restoration help

Slipstream55, Where did you find the STV-4Hs? I made up an STV-4H with 4, 1N914 diodes potted in thermally conductive epoxy. The bias adjust was more sensitive on this channel but the amp is now alive and I'm back in audio nirvana. I do have some STV-3Hs on order too that I was going to...
  23. R

Spec 2 repair

EchoWars, I already replaced the trim pots with the suggested Bourns on each amp board during the rebuild. I looked and search through all the Spec 2 threads I could find and pretty much did all the upgrades I could while I was in there. I will probably just button her up and enjoy it for a...
  24. R

Spec 2 repair

Spec 2 is runnig....but? (long) Wednesday and Thursday evenings I added the 4 iN914s as a sub for the STV-4H. The faulty right channels' bias current eventually does settle but the adjustment is still very sensitive. I went ahead and set the meter outputs for 250W for both channels and than...
  25. R

Spec 2 repair

another STV-4H approach The STV-3Hs I ordered for making a STV-4H with an additional diode are on backorder from Partstore. As an alternate approach I am going to try to use 4 1N914s in series as a replacement for the STV-4H. I soldered them and coated them with thermally conductive epoxy...
Back
Top Bottom