Search results

1. Tiver

Speaker Kits sans cabinet

I guess this thread could be in DIY or New Gear Values. But here it is. Lately I am drawn to the thread on the JBL Studio 590 that have been on sale for $399ea....shipped! $800 for a pair of capable performers with the plain fact that the cabinets are a rather cheapo affair. I am not...
  2. Tiver

Ipad pro and PC w/HDD and stream

A good friend has passed an iPad pro my way. I am very much not familiar with anything Apple. I have a large external HDD with a lot of music content and a subscription to Amazon HD music. I also have Apple music subscription through my cell phone plan, so lots of source material. I have...
  3. Tiver

Elac Uni fi 2.0 hb52 commentary

More of a commentary than a review.... Was at a friend's house yesterday. He has just picked up the Uni fi 2.0 ub52. Not that he needs them. I think he was just looking to be as impressed as many reviews were leading him to believe and I guess he was jonesin' to purchase something :idea...
  4. Tiver

Today's estates, garage and thrift. What you passed on

Maybe this thread's been done. Sometimes we see desirable items and we choose to pass instead of purchase. This is for in hand, "right in front of me" type passes.. We've all seen ridiculous listings on ebay and craigslist. That's not what this is about Here's a chance to tell us about...
  5. Tiver

Smart outlet

Hey Folks, Does anyone know.....I think the answer is yes, but just verifying. Do smart outlets have the internal capability to run as timer switches without being connected to a network? If a switch is programmed by its appropriate app from a cell phone, is it then stand alone until the...
  6. Tiver

UUgh, sportsbil.com is not up anymore ADS resource : OK NOW Fixed

I went to review some speaker parts and the domain is no longer. Have any of the PDFs been stored here on AK or elsewhere? I don't think I downloaded anything for myself.
  7. Tiver

Dual 1229 Q's ?

In reading on this deck I see that it's a changer. Many are shown without the tall changer spindle. Is the spindle the only part of the deck needed to be a changer? Just wonder if inserting the spindle engages the mechanism. While the descriptions I have read suggest the design is a little...
  8. Tiver

Measurement for quiet tubes

Is there such a measurement or this just a listening test in situ? When I say quiet, I am thinking primarily about hiss at idle. IOW, suppose two otherwise identical tubes are sold with the remark, "Tests Good" or they may be new production and meet the new production standard. Does one...
  9. Tiver

CA-1010 protection issue

To begin with, my current level of experience is basic soldering and meter reading (DMM). So basically a parts replacer hoping for some input and guidance. The amp was working and then we had some weak power during some bad weather, Weak like the lights flickered and some would only burn...
  10. Tiver

AR 4xa

It seems these little critters used to get a fair bit of forum traffic, but not so much the last few years. I have a couple pairs that have very nice cosmetics and I think I will get into reviewing/repairing/replacing the wipers and caps and cleaning up the already very decent veneer and grill...
  11. Tiver

Why rip vinyl to digital?

I understand some titles are tough to find. So we can exclude that. I understand there are some digital releases that might be offensive to one's ears, so I will concede those and I get that a few favorites might be improved upon with one's own rips.....(this is the one I would expect was the...
  12. Tiver

Sansui AU11000 Rochester NY

Go and get it Sansui
  13. Tiver

ADS 810 1590 Eau Claire, Wi

Interesting L810 for $200...seems like a get 'em price if they work L1590/2 in Rosewood with amplifiers. Cabs are a little rough and the PA-1 amps are an interesting sideshow. Number seems a little large, but a bit of a rarity.
  14. Tiver

Encore 2010.2 white noise

I am auditioning a preamp and it will likely fall into my system. I don't have any pending plans on becoming technically endowed with tube knowledge so my question isn't about circuit level troubleshooting, it's merely about noise. When the preamp is turned on, there is a low level white...
  15. Tiver

Gain matching for biamp

Hi folks, I have acquired an ADS C2000 and will be looking to bi-amp some ADS L1230. I don't have a lot of knowledge on the demands I will be putting on the amplifiers. What I think is, as different program content puts demands on the amplifiers, they will respond accordingly and the output...
  16. Tiver

Question about Soft Domes and dents, ADS among others

I have some ADS in the corral. Fortunately all of the domes are clean and dimple free. I am considering a couple new additions and one of the potential issues is that there is a dimple in each of two midrange drivers. I haven't really any idea how the dome works, but I would think they...
  17. Tiver

Craigslist search return limit

I am posting here because I think there are likely experienced CL users frequenting this sub-forum. Today I have only seen 120 listings returned(max) for any given search. I thought it was odd. I was using search tempest, but I decided to try just my local CL as well. Same thing 120 returns...
  18. Tiver

Dishwasher troubelshooting?

Hi Folks, If anyone knows something they would like to share, I could use some support in a repair........ Asko model 1475 Sequence of cycles goes Drain, fill, circulate and then on with more to completion. Right now I get drain, fill and then nothing. I have had the circulator pump out and...
  19. Tiver

Some Vintage Phonographs - See anything?

Here is a local estate sale to me. Have a look at the pictures for interesting items. As far as modern, there is a Philips, but mostly much older players Link
  20. Tiver

Why should this picture get some excited?

Why do some of us continue to peruse CL and Estate sales and ebay? OK, the simple answer is some of us are looking for upgrades that are a bargain. BUT, why is it that gear representing lesser or lateral moves gets the blood flowing as well? I know this topic approaches what has been much...
  21. Tiver

ADS L1230

If these are still available someone should consider some kind of offer for them Tampa area
  22. Tiver

Charlotte, NC to Rochester, NY or along the way

Or Syracuse, Binghamton, or Scranton...... I am looking to possibly transport a TT up this way. Timing is somewhat flexible Shot in the dark. Let me know. Greg
  23. Tiver

Kyocera PL-701 could use a little tech help

To all the good people who might be able to help... I have recently acquired a bit of a troubled deck. I was hoping to manage may way through, but the service manual is not helping me. I will freely admit I am not particularly fluent in electronic schematics, but I can manage a map, some...
  24. Tiver

PL-518 in White Oak and then some

Just because it's an easy upgrade... from this..... to this... I actually made a new plinth here instead of re-veneering the old. I took liberty to add a little thickness and round the edges a bit, kind of taking a cue from the AR ES-1 I have another PL-518 that I am just waiting...
  25. Tiver

Your greatest return in vinyl playback?

Maybe you have been upgrading forever or maybe you're working your way around the block for the first time. Have you ever added or replaced something in the vinyl chain the just blew you away? Is it possible to be in the middle of the pack and, without breaking the bank, find yourself floored...
Back
Top Bottom