Search results

1. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

Savvy savv, comrades, got one for you . . Hampton Hawes and Charlie Haden- As Long As There Is Music (Verve). One track in particular, Hello/Goodbye is some of the most longing, passionate music I've ever heard two people make. Also, I'm an Andrew Hill fan. Point of Departure (Blue Note...
  2. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

Jam- Where does a brother hear jazz in Dallas these days?
  3. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

Love Jackie McLean on LFR, Tina Brooks on Jimmy Smith's the Sermon. Spok- you go back a ways, dude. Rogers, Shank, and Hamilton date from the 50's. Saw Chico's quintet several times in the 60's with Charles Lloyd and Gabor Szabo. Love Shelly Manne and His Men from this period, too. Got...
  4. J

Speakers you will NEVER sell.

What is perhaps the grandaddy of self powered speakers, the Meridian M20's. I'm glad I hung on to them. They marry the room I have now madly. Got an ARC pre in front of them.
  5. J

Today's Texas Tunes and Musicians playlist.

Jazz Crusaders.
  6. J

New Jazz Player

Thomas Marriott- Both Sides of the Fence. A mainstream player (trumpet) for the most part but very nice. His group, too.
  7. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

John Coltrane- The Impulse! Albums (Verve). This is a five album collection that contains the album Coltrane. Somewhat overlooked, it contains the definitive solo by this man for me on Out Of This World. It's like a long version of A Love Supreme, Part III. Trane shows great love of this...
  8. J

Show us your DIY speaker projects!

Persons- Good for you for offsetting your tweeters (good for ProAc, too). Anything to reduce diffraction effects . . the bane of box speakers, quiet as it's kept (no pun intended).
  9. J

Longest Intro on Record?

Cannonball Adderley- This Here (from live in San Francisco).
  10. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

drybasement- That Tower of Power? "What is hip (?) . . tell me, tell me if you think you really know"! Or, Huey Lewis?
  11. J

That is genuinely appreciated, dc. Fort Worth is my old stompin grounds. I get back there occasionally from Houston. I know very well where Burleson is.
  12. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

What, got some Nippon Soul, Emily Remler, Cry Me a River, Horace, etc, etc. All in just the last few days? And Joe Marriott from before? You cats is deep. No doubt about it. I gotsta go to storage and play to hang here. Nice Guys- Art Ensemble of Chicago (ECM)
  13. J

Today's Texas Tunes and Musicians playlist.

Angela Strehli, Lou Ann Barton, Arc Angels, homies. And all those Texas tenor players, the best in the west.
  14. J

ramli and dc270- Gentlemen, very impressive.
  15. J

Today's SOUL Playlist

R&B fans. Get a load of these white boys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPXSPPjuc8
  16. J

Discovery time. Maybe for you, definitely for me. I listen with dynamic speakers and am in the habit of checking to see if the allen bolts holding on my mid/bass drivers need tightening every six months or so. Tonite, I checked and only one needed a little minor tightening but while I was at...
  17. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

Slight misspellings by fan man above, corrected. My bad. That would be PMSummer, not PJSummers and Impressions, not Expressions.
  18. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

A gentleman and a scholar who frequents AK, PMSummer, made me a gift of a Charles Lloyd album knowing full well how this guy pisses me off. Maybe you should know about it. It's the best I've heard from this pretentious flounderer- Charles Lloyd (not Summer)- Voice In The Night (ECM). Boy...
  19. J

Today's World Music playlist

Gotan Project- La Revancha del Tango (Randem) Mayte Martin- Querencia (Virgin) Miguel Povada- Zaguan (Harmonia Mundi)
  20. J

Vinyl only spin list

Tracy Nelson- Doin It My Way (Audio Directions DTD)
  21. J

Todays Punk Playlist

Romeo Void- It's a Condition (415 Records)
  22. J

Today's Rock and Roll Playlist

Romeo Void- It's a Condition (415 Records)
  23. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

I continue to be amazed by the depth of you jazz fans here. I wish we were neighbors. I'll chime in later with a recording I just ordered by a pianist named Nik Bartsh, a hip kind of Steve Reich, I think, and been listening to some old Kenny Dorham dates lately. Cheers.
  24. J

Diamonds in the rough . .

Of the ones I've seen that have been posted thus far (most), I got to tip my hat to you guys. Good Calls! But the one that really gave me a flash is Freeway. I had forgotten that one and it IS a riot!
  25. J

Today's JAZZ playlist

The Lost Chords find Paolo Fresu- Carla Bley (WATT/ECM); The Gold Collection (Live in Milan)- Gil Evans (Fine Tune); That Day- Dianne Reeves (Blue Note).
Back
Top Bottom