Search results

1. Geek

Anyone in Vancouver/Fraser Valley with Reflow Repair Station Capabilities?

Heya Folks, I have the need for small 8-pin voltage reg chip replacement on a DAC that's been reflow soldered in and don't want to destroy the board changing the chip. Anybody out here with capability? It's one of those not just a SMD, but with the bottom pad for heatsink/GND that is...
  2. Geek

Disc Capacitors

As a coastal repair dude, ceramic caps, especially older non-epoxy dipped ones are hygroscopic. I've found some 33's measuring 400+ :oops: +1 on that MTester doodad, @by the way . I made a wall adapter for mine as it's in constant use. Wore out a couple zero-force sockets, though o_O Cheers!
  3. Geek

Fisher RS-Z1 Issue

Hi Dave, Nope! She ended up in the boneyard. Any of these computer-controlled dealies I will no longer touch and direct clents to the local recycler, even with an RZ-1. Good luck!
  4. Geek

3A/109B/110B "B"-type British Socket Source?

Boom! Thank you very much! :beerchug:
  5. Geek

3A/109B/110B "B"-type British Socket Source?

Howdy all, If this is the incorrect section, my apologies and move appropriately :) Anyone got a source for these ancient sockets? Thankees!
  6. Geek

Time for a new AK logo - let's see what you come up with

Love it! We need more colour and less conformity in our lives :beatnik:
  7. Geek

AK was awesome and now it is frustrating.

Can't say I care for the look of most upgrades, from internet forums to my version of Android. I just tell myself, "Am I here to gather/share information with [insert changed item here] , or am I in a dating relationship with it? :rflmao: Cheers!
  8. Geek

Part Number Cross Reference?

Thanks for the reply! I put a SCR and TRIAC on my tester and it sees those. Dual diode on the gates are possible for shaping/snubbing. I also discovered Balmar doesn't have an exclusive on this model - Xantrex and TRACE also had an identical 2012 unit. Shot off an email to both. Someone's...
  9. Geek

Part Number Cross Reference?

Hi Folks, Looking for any idea what a "TE178B" made by Motorola is. Google comes up completely blank and the computerized tester says it's "Two diodes, one with 148mV drop the other 3.22V drop". I dunno if they're BJT's or MOSFETS or D-FET's or what. They are TO-220 cased drivers (8 in...
  10. Geek

Peter Dix Sound PDS-4400

While serching for any contact for the man when I had the amp with me, I did find a home registry in Abbotsford, BC with his name on it. Best I can tell you.
  11. Geek

Testing and Upgrade of new server 3/20/23

Fast and no issues, Chromium (not Chrome) browser on Linux. Thanks guys! :rockon:
  12. Geek

Audio Switching and Speaker Relays

Hi Folks, Given the insane inflation and intermittent availability of parts for new designs and replacement, I decided to try other manufacture than the venerable Omron. Here's my report, please feel free to add your experiences :) I've focused on non-polarized types, as it's just the simplest...
  13. Geek

Peter Dix Sound PDS-4400

They are picky about the speakers they drive. Crown's are amazing :thumbsup:
  14. Geek

Nichicon Getting Out of the Audio Cap Business?

There was a few years back a forum (as in group meeting, not like AK) video conference and Digikey engineers and managers asked what we wanted vs. where the industry was going. It was no coincidence they're carrying more stuff you'd see in the parts bins at FoxConn and Tesla.... while all but...
  15. Geek

Class d

Many years ago, I was given a 100W class-D brick-sized amp to evaluate from a local speaker manufacturer. I was absolutely blown away with the sound! It did more than the specs said and upon cracking it open, there was amazing quality everywhere, including a 2Oz copper 4-layer board that was...
  16. Geek

As @Blue Shadow said, "Get 'em while you can!" I too use quite a few UKL in EQ's as film substitutes are completely impractical physically. UKL come in 10% (great for a 'lytic) and 105C. operating for tubes! My next order is looking pretty heavy as well.... grabbing all the UFG and UES I can...
  17. Geek

Setting the filters on Digikey's site gives a simple way to find out what will remain: https://www.digikey.ca/short/4n3wm7f3 (US users ca reset and use the .com) There's still an amazing selection :rockon:
  18. Geek

Okay folks, got the final news in! Digikey's Product Manager contacted me today and confirmed the Nichicon info is correct; only 5mm x 11mm and 6,3mm x 11mm are discontinued. DK will continue to supply all other case sizes of Fine Gold, as they will be available to order. Glad I caught this...
  19. Geek

Dang! What's confusing is either Silmic II or Fine Gold used to be upgrades right from manufacturers of high end DAC's. It's not just the repair community cap manufacturers are shafting, it's downright OEM producers! O_o; If even the OEM's no longer have a say .... :dunno:
  20. Geek

Specs are great when it comes to PSU caps, I agree. As meantioned earlier, I'm a fan of UCC KZN series and Panasonic FM, FC, FS, FR, etc. Wnen it comes to sound, put down the spec sheets and use your ears. I've had 18 years of happy customers doing that. No boutique caps needed :cool: (I don't...
  21. Geek

It completely is about the sound you're after. Most of my vintage customers want the vintage sound preserved. That completely rules out film coupling caps unless that's what the originals were. DIY again is a matter of taste. I don't know of any 'lytic coupling caps in tube gear. On another...
  22. Geek

Current link I got from going in the front page at https://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/ (I have all my browsers set to clear cache/cookies upon close to zap the possibility of outdated info). Digikey is showing them "Not for New Designs" as well, with only 100nF being in stock in USW. Mouser...
  23. Geek

Nichicon confirmed that they are not doing this.
  24. Geek

I love the ES series in power amps.... the sections around the differential input pair. Films just don't sound right at that point and often there is no room for them anyway. Preamps like Apt Holman and Mitsubishi really benefit from them as polar caps die quickly with 0V on both pins. Yeah...
Back
Top Bottom