Search results

1. tutor turtle

Project: Realistic STA-2000 (Rebuild)

I have a STA-2000 that needs a volume potentiometer. It is a four gang, single shaft 200K ohm. I can't find one anywhere. Suggestions?
  2. tutor turtle

Realistic receivers

In need of a STA-2000 volume control. Shaft pulled out and won't go back it. It is a four gang control that does not incorporate the balance function. That is a separate control RS part number is P-1698, manufacturer part number is P-170229.
  3. tutor turtle

Conrad Johnson MV100 blowing output tubes

I'm helping a friend fix his Conrad Johnson MV100. He brought it to me last year with blown output tubes. I found the bad ones, replaced every tube that didn't test new, set the bias and off he went. It ran about a year, now he's back with more blown tubes. (left channel only) I thought I would...
  4. tutor turtle

Peerless 16039 output transformer needed for Heathkit W-5M

I pinged the seller if he would sell singles, he will. I bought what I needed plus a spare. Thank you so much for your lead..
  5. tutor turtle

Thank you. Of course I don't know whatI'll do with the other four...
  6. tutor turtle

Someone on the DYI blog said he put one in the oven, on a moist cloth, set at 230 for two hours.. It became soft enough to ease it out of the case. He then froze it and chipped away at the tar to expose the bond points. What have I got to lose?
  7. tutor turtle

Looks like rewinds are in the $200-$300 range. Ironic timing as the customer just called as I was looking it up. He asked me to put it aside so he can think on it, which translates to mean I'm unlikely get paid for work done. I think I'll try John suggestion, I have had some luck reattaching...
  8. tutor turtle

I took a pair of these mono-blocks in for recapping/restoration. The good news is, I found out the incredible cult following these amplifiers have, which implies the customer is less likely balk at the bill. The bad news is after doing all the work of replacing the caps and resistors, one of the...
  9. tutor turtle

ALK Extreme Slope Xover for sale ES600 + ES5800

removed, no longer for sale.
  10. tutor turtle

ALK Extreme Slope Xover for sale ES600 + ES5800

For your consideration: One pair ALK Engineering Extreme Slope crossovers, ES600 + ES5800 Approximately 7 months old. Woofer crossover point optimal for Cornwal/Cornscalla. $990 + shipping (two packages approximately 40 lbs each) $400 off new price. More information, connection diagrams and...
  11. tutor turtle

Kyocera A710 w/high noise floor

I have a Kyocera A710 integrated amp exhibiting random crunchy/rumbley noises, on both channels, all inputs, all outputs. The left side being slightly noisier than the right. This is important because it rules out the (single) power supply as being the root cause. The controls don't seem to...
  12. tutor turtle

Pioneer CS-63DX, small review and tweeter repair q's

Picked up two pair of these in an estate sale. A little scratched and dusty but otherwise working... except all four PT-103F horn tweeters measure open. The coils were wound of angle hair fine wire, little wonder they blew so often. I will sell them as-is for short money $100/pr or $150 for all...
  13. tutor turtle

Pioneer CS-63DX, small review and tweeter repair q's

Picked up two pair of these in an estate sale. A little scratched and dusty but otherwise working... except all four PT-103F horn tweeters measure open. The coils were wound of angle hair fine wire, little wonder they blew so often. Any luck finding replacement diaphragms? Otherwise I will sell...
  14. tutor turtle

Chronology of Speakers you've owned?

Bose 501: 1972-1984 Drivers and crossovers constantly evolving… Infinity Reference Series 6: 1984-2009, crossover capacitors upgraded to musicaps. Klipsch Cornwal III: 2009-present, crossovers, AKL Engineering extreme slope.
  15. tutor turtle

new large advent fried egg tweeter

Carl, Do you have one fried egg tweeter for large Advent? The one that is working seems very attenuated, is that just the design, or my hearing has really gotten that bad? :-0 I am working on these for a friend, someone replaced the high-pass cap with Solen (13 uf), the resistors and switch ohm...
  16. tutor turtle

Tandberg 3600 XD Reel to Reel

clutch pads I have two Tandberg R-R in my shop with the same issue, they need clutch pads. (one 600X, one 3341X) They both look like they used the identical pads. I have access to a laser cutter to fabricate them. What thickness cork did you use? A pattern would be nice too, the old ones...
  17. tutor turtle

McIntosh MI-300

McIntosh MI-300 mono-block power amplifiers. After reading all the replies I went on the hunt, I called the McIntosh factory, No engineer or technician from that era was still employed there from that time period, the early 1950's. They did have data on the MI-200, but not the MI-300. The MI...
  18. tutor turtle

What's Sansui in your setup?

Vintage 1973 TU-9500 integrated amp & matching AU-9500 tuner. I restore vintage hi-fi for side work. This is my work bench system for testing other components ie. speakers, cd/tape transports.
  19. tutor turtle

Must-Have Sansui Tuners other than TU-X1?

I just bought a TU-9500 (1973 vintage) because it is the mate to my AU-9500 integrated amplifier. It is a fantastic tuner. I will likely recap it (power supply caps only) just because those caps are 40+ years old. My guess is the sound can only improve.
  20. tutor turtle

Dear Sam, I just bought a TU-9500 tuner to match my AU-9500 integrated amp. I've recapped the...

Dear Sam, I just bought a TU-9500 tuner to match my AU-9500 integrated amp. I've recapped the amp, changed the 1313 & 726 transistors that went nova over to the Fairchild parts. Now I want to recap this new tuner, but I can't find the service manual anywhere. Can you help me? Thank you in...
  21. tutor turtle

What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

At work is a mono HiFi, real old school, real sweet sound. McIntosh C-5 pre amp McIntosh MC-75 Mono block KLH Model 22A bookshelf speaker Home: VPI Scout, Grado Reference, JWM tone arm, Nordst internal wiring. MA6600 Receiver (yes, first Mac receiver in twenty years, it has a HD tuner)...
  22. tutor turtle

MA6600 display fix.

For those of you who bought the MA6600 when it first came out and had the display scroll off screen to the left on power-up: the problem was the E-Prom all along. The prom sits on the back of the display board. The factory should send it to you free of charge by just calling. Mine was long...
  23. tutor turtle

I finally got a pair of Luxman MB 3045 mono blocks of my own!

Have service bulletin you need Did you find someone to get you a copy of the Luxman factory bulletin? I have it and all the source material for parts needed. High value, high wattage resistors can be tough to find. I have been running KT88's and the new Tung-sol KT120 output tubes...
  24. tutor turtle

Anything to gain using high powered amp with Cornwalls?

So long as you are using a tube amp, the power lever is a mater of preference. I tried a high quality solid-state amp (McIntosh MA6600) the horns can't take the sharp transits. I switched to 50 watt tube amps (Luxman MB3045) and was much happier.
  25. tutor turtle

McIntosh MI-300

About 40 years ago I came across a pair of 300 watt industrial McIntosh mono-block amplifiers labeled MI-300. They were separate amp/power supply chassis. The most likely application would have been a large movie theater. Mine were lost in a fire, 1975...
Back
Top Bottom