Search results

1. M

What's the oldest CD you own?

Michael Jackson - Thriller. My very first CD. I still have it and it gets played occasionally. Bought in 1983.
  2. M

Bose Triports- twenty year report

I have to agree with RamblinE on the the main reason for the bad rap. If the Triports had been made by Sennheiser, Grado, or AKG, they would have been far more appreciated by the Audiophiles. Personally, I think their price point should have been about $100, considering the materials used for...
  3. M

A few more things about the Triports: I know Triports and Bose in general are not liked by audiophiles. I agree that Bose headphones are overpriced and their sound quality is bettered by less expensive brands. For the same price as Triports, you can buy a pair of Grado 125’s. Obviously the...
  4. M

Twenty years ago, my wife gave me some Bose Triports as a gift. Yes, I was horrified!!! She of course thought that I would love the Triports, after all, they were Bose, and she knew that Bose was great. I remember actually laughing after opening the packaging. It looked like it wouldn’t last but...
  5. M

First experience with EMIT-R

The 3006 is an excellent sounding small speaker. It's a big book shelf speaker, so it's best to use it on speaker stands. It can be used on a shelf as well, just make sure the shelf is big enough and can support the speaker's weight. Because of the rear port, if you do place it close to a wall...
  6. M

HE-400i Assessments/Comparisons

Great headphones. Very clear sounding. I got my 400i's for Christmas and like them a lot. I'm not a big user of headphones for music at home, but do use them for travel and occasional video games. Before getting the 400i's, I only had two headphones that I used. My travel and video game...
  7. M

Infinity Kappa 8.1

In my opinion, every room/listening space has it's own requirements for reaching a balanced sound signature. The reflection and absorption must be right in order to reach a balance in that space. Small rooms generally require less sound pressure, especially in the lows, to sound clear and...
  8. M

Which Interconnects Are You Guys Using With Your Infinities?

Wow, simply Wow!!! Thanks for that video. I remember years back, skeptic James Randi challenged Michael Fremer to a double blind test to see if he could tell the difference between his extremely expensive wire and some ordinary monster wire. I think Fremer refused to do it. It was some years...
  9. M

Infinitesimal II (v.2) Crossover; The Original And A Revision?

Thanks. The tech I use is a true master. He spends a great deal of time researching the equipment that he works on, and is well known to audiophiles in my area as the best around. He is not cheap, but when you want something done right, he is worth the expense. It's funny, but when I talk to...
  10. M

A couple of things that I thought I would add to this thread. You will notice that the litz coil placement is different in the two pictures. The reason for this was that in the original vertical placement, the woofer would come into contact with the coil, so my tech changed it to a horizontal...
  11. M

Here are some pictures of my Infinitesimals Rebuild. This was done last year. Notice the first picture has one of the crossovers before being rebuilt next to the other that was worked on. Starting on the third picture, you can see the addition of the coil. The last one shows one of the speakers...
  12. M

I had a tech restore my Infinitesimals last year and after going thru the Infinity schematics, he told me that my speakers had elements of the .1's and .2's. He said they were probably a production model that was manufactured late in the.1 cycle, but before the .2's went into production. During...
  13. M

Polydome cleaning.

I got to hand it to you guys, the results that you are getting on those old polydomes is truly amazing. Your work is really paying off. I do hope that they continue working for years to come.
  14. M

Infinity Kappa 8.1

I checked it out online and Dacron is a brand name of polyester synthetic fiber. So basically it's a type of poly. If it's the cotton like poly that I've seen mostly around the mids of some speakers, you are right in that it feels courser and maybe a bit thicker. Whenever I saw a different kind...
  15. M

Infinity Kappa 8.1

Interesting. Does the Dacron look similar to the white poly that is usually used? I have seen some polyfill that is a bit more like cotton than others around the mids and mid bass. Perhaps a bit denser. If it's white and fluffy, I call it polyfill. Those Epsilons are pretty pricey, so maybe...
  16. M

Infinity Kappa 8.1

One thing that I forgot to mention about the original polyfill in the speakers. I've seen the same Infinity speaker models filled to different levels from the factory. I believe that this was simply due to the factory using different amounts for different production runs. Polyfill is not...
  17. M

Infinity Kappa 8.1

The European Kappa lines, the.2's were all ported to the rear. Years back, I had the pleasure of listening to some 8.2's that were brought over from Germany and I recall that they were exactly the same as the 8.1's, except with the port in the rear. Yeah, the Kappas are pretty stuffed with...
  18. M

Infinity Kappa 8.1

The 8's and 8.1's are my favorite speakers in the Kappa lines. For most rooms, in my opinion, the 9's are just too big and produce too much bass. In my opinion, the 8.1's are about equal to the CS-3009's. The 3009's may be a bit better for rock, movie soundtracks, and other dynamic music, but...
  19. M

Refoamed Woofer now rumbling & static Crescendo 3007

From your picture and description of the problem, it definitely looks like your re-foam is not centered. Your voice coil is rubbing. you will need to take the foam out and start over with new foam. You can either shim it while the glue dries, or use a 30hz test tone while applying the glue. If...
  20. M

C-List Score Infinity Crescendo 3007

Wow!!! Just Wow... You my friend are truly lucky. $80 bucks is excellent for the 3007's and they look to be in excellent shape. 3007's are excellent all-around performers for all types of music and HT. And you got some Renaissance 90's for $50!!! Amazing. You should play the Lotto. The 90's are...
  21. M

What are the good ∞ speaker models?

I have heard the Kappa 8.2's. I used to know a guy back in the late 90's that had a pair. He purchased them while stationed in Europe. I actually liked them a bit better than the .1's. The sound was pretty similar between the models, but I prefer the port hole in the back. I sometimes stuff port...
  22. M

What are the good ∞ speaker models?

I would also add that what is "good" also depends greatly on your intended use. Most of the top models listed are rather large and best in sizable rooms. They would not be a good match for small rooms. A Kappa 5 or 6, or Crescendo 3006 would be better for smaller rooms rather than a massive...
  23. M

Pioneer VSX-D1S vs. Luxman R-117? Which one?

I hope you like it superdog. Like I said earlier, it's an excellent sounding receiver, but it's not as warm as the 70's models. Some people prefer the older and warmer sounding models. I remember hearing a 1010 years back and thinking that it was too warm for my liking, even though I still...
  24. M

Which Pioneer Receiver To Buy

In my opinion, the sweet spot in the Pioneer line is the SX-1050. I've owned mine for over a decade and love it. I grew up listening to my father's SX-1250, which he bought new in the mid 70's. He sold the 1250 in the 90's, when he got a bit crazy and went all out on an expensive high end...
Back
Top Bottom