Search results

1. G

Show us your JBLs

The orange matrix is a closeup of the L100 grille. They match the originals exactly except my originals were brown. When I bought them, I wanted orange grilles, but the only color the shop had were brown. Forty years later, I finally have my orange grilles! The pulled woofers are 127A’s from...
  2. G

Show us your JBLs

The pile keeps getting bigger
  3. G

Yamaha R s-700 hum/buzz?

No, I bought it on Amazon and the warranty ran out last year. I've bought a lot of stuff on Amazon and sometimes they are flexible in situations such as this to keep customers happy. I don't know how flexible they'll be in replacing a $500 receiver, but I may give it a shot. Gino
  4. G

Yamaha R s-700 hum/buzz?

Hello all, I have a Yamaha R S-700 that I've used daily for the past two years or so. I love the receiver, but I've noticed a slight buzz or mid-frequency hum in all input modes. There seems to be no relationship to volume level. That is to say, if volume level is increased or decreased...
  5. G

JBL speakers are they really that good?

I guess I was doing a little of both yet the results are always the same!
  6. G

JBL speakers are they really that good?

I went to the Magnolia room at Best Buy recently with a little time to kill while my wife was in another store. I went in with a test compilation cd I made using several familiar songs. I thought it might be time to see what some of the new speakers have to offer to my 51 year old ears. (I do...
  7. G

New Power Amp with old Receiver or integrated?

Thanks SoCal Sam. Great idea. My CDP does has a variable output, but I never thought about using it that way. I'll give it a shot when I get everything into the house, but since this is to be disguised as a birthday gift, I have to wait a few months! Gino
  8. G

I forgot to mention the speakers. I have three pairs of JBL 12". One pair of L100's, One pair L166's and the third pair are 4412A's. I only run one pair at a time. I never considered bringing the SX 1280 in for some work. It still sounds good, so I generally leave it alone if it's running...
  9. G

Thanks, SoCal Sam and Uncle Paul. I may just have to get the pre amp and do the A,B thing. In a worst case, I'm out my shipping costs. In a best case, I have a nice 50th birthday gift to myself. I have 5 more months to "soften" my wife on the idea! Gino
  10. G

I currently have a Yamaha Cr-1010 and a Pioneer SX1280 and I was kicking around the idea of buying an Emotiva 300 watt power amp for more power and possibly better sound. My current setup sounds great and I am perfectly content with it, but I wonder if I've been listening to the vintage stuff so...
  11. G

Hello Kortex, I am the seller of the JBL 4412A's on the Chicago Craigslist. I believe my...

Hello Kortex, I am the seller of the JBL 4412A's on the Chicago Craigslist. I believe my speakers are the ones in your post. Since they haven't sold, I have lowered the price from $375 to $350. If you'd like to see them or listen, i am in the Schaumburg area. Thanks, Gino
  12. G

One turntable, two amps

No, I'm not using a splitter. I just assumed I'd lose some sound quality using one. It would sure make switching back and forth easier than using the hand-held mirror method. I'm sure the topic of splitters has been covered before, so I'll check some prior posts for info on splitters...
  13. G

One turntable, two amps

I could not find anything in the old threads regarding this topic, so here goes. In a nutshell, I want to be able to switch a turntable between two amps without having to switch the grounding wire, which is kind of a pain to do blindly as the components are in a rack. That is, can I listen to...
  14. G

Goodmans Maximus-1

Thanks to all for the info. The little Goodmans are starting to grow on me. Markus, you're right, I played some acoustic, jazz and classical piano stuff and they sound even better. I was playing some jack johnson yesterday and my 10 year old daughter thought the JBL L166's that the...
  15. G

Goodmans Maximus-1

Excellent speakers. Nice pictures. I'll have to read the article. The Maxim's must have been a version of the Maximus-1's or vice versa. Thanks again. Good luck with your Goodmans. Gino
  16. G

Goodmans Maximus-1

I couldn't get the pictures to attach. I'll try again. The driver arrangemnet is just a 4" woofer and about a 2 1/2" tweeter per box. The cabinets only measure about 10" X 6", but they're heavy. I'll try the pictures again. Gino
  17. G

Goodmans Maximus-1

I've come across the llink mentioning the Ambassadors in my search to learn about the Goodmans line and they appear to be a fine speaker as well. As for the Maximus-1's, the rear of the speakers lists the frequency response as 45-20000 hz., although to me, the bass doesn't sound that deep...
  18. G

Goodmans Maximus-1

I just picked up a pair of these in great shape and am having trouble finding any information abou them on the internet. all I know is that they were made in the early 60's, are British and a pretty well respected and rare speaker. I was looking for reviews or opinions by members or articles...
  19. G

goodmans speakers

I just picked up a pair of Goodmans maximus 1's in my area yesterday and have been trying to find out about them as well. It seems to be a pretty well regarded British company as far as I can tell. Don't know much else about them. Gino
  20. G

JBL L166 done, Hitachi 8300, AR94sx & other stuff I've been up to.

Ericv, I too just bought and refoamed a pair of L166's in the last month. Despite arriving with one damaged cabinet, I've been having fun doing A/B comparisons with my old reliable L100's I've had for 30 Plus years. I have them stacked with the 166's on bottom, L100's on top and after many...
  21. G

Songs that bring your speakers to life

The Who "Live at Leeds" Magic Bus has a great bass line that sounds great turned up. Keith Richards "Main Offender." Robbie Robertson "Somewhere Down the Crazy River". Rachel Yamagata "Worn Me Down". Joe Jackson "Right and Wrong" from one of the live album "Big World."...
  22. G

Do two sets of speakers draw more amps?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I didn't see any mention in past posts. Will running two sets of speakers simultaneously cause my amp/receiver to work harder in having to put out more power? The power output indication on my power meters doesn't change when I change from one set...
  23. G

Oak Ridge audio?? Anyone

Sorry, it went right over my head. Come to think of it, there was kind of a glow about them. All the plants around the speakers were dead, and there was a really old man there with smoke coming out of his ears. Maybe I won't go back. Thanks for the info. Gino
  24. G

Oak Ridge audio?? Anyone

The woofers had almost a carbon fiber look to them. Not paper. Kind of a grayish cone color, transluscent. I wish I wrote down the model number. Does anyone have any experience with this company's speakers? Are they any good? Gino
  25. G

Oak Ridge audio?? Anyone

I didn't get the model number but I might go back tomorrow. They looked to be 10-12 inch woofers, about 4" midrange and probably a 1" tweeter which was behind a wire mesh so I couldn't see it's composition. The woofer had round grilles which covered only the woofer. There was a small bass...
Back
Top Bottom