Search results

1. aero_eng

Has anyone changed tonearms on RekOKut N33H?

My N33H did not come with a tonearm, so I fitted an Empire 980 tonearm. The difference in platter spindle to tonearm mounting distance is one millimiter, which was very easy to file. Esoteric Sound has several Jelco-sourced tonearms that are drop-in modern replacements for Empire 980 and 990...
  2. aero_eng

Denon DP-7F turntable mat

I just checked Pacific Coast Parts (pacparts.com) and denon.encompass.com, and all parts for the DP-7F are no longer available. However, you can buy on amazon.com or eBay.com any number of newer platter mats: rubber, cork, plexiglass, leather. Most of them should work. It could be interesting...
  3. aero_eng

Dual 1229 vs Something New?

I have a Dual 1229, and I like it a lot. Like all things German, it is engineered to last for decades... provided you do the maintenance. As far as changer mechanisms go, it is not the most complex mechanism out there once you understand the operation. There are several YouTube videos on how...
  4. aero_eng

Jerold Raskin R.I.P.

So sad to hear. I bought a lot of stuff from him over the years. My last purchase was a Denon DL-110... I'll be thinking of him next time I spin the turntable with that Denon cart. RIP Jerold, you will be missed!!
  5. aero_eng

Yamaha TT-400U

Remember, at that time, CDs were going to take over the world, and Yamaha just wanted a decent but inexpensive turntable that was remote-controllable from their (then) current line of receivers and amplifiers. Turned out to be the last turntables to bear the Yamaha badge...
  6. aero_eng

Yamaha TT-400U

Yamaha sold these re-badged Technics turntables 1990-1995 or so. The TT-300U (belt drive auto-return tonearm), -400U (belt-drive full automatic), and -500U (direct drive full automatic) were available with either a P-mount or a standard cartridge headshell. The -400 and -500 have a 45-adaptor...
  7. aero_eng

Dual cs5000 thermistor location

You have a Positive Thermal Coefficient (PTC) thermistor, 80 degC transition temperature. Once it gets above this temperature, the resistance increases exponentially with increasing temperature, thus limiting current. Taking the 9 watt rating at 120 VAC, your current rating should be I = W / U...
  8. aero_eng

SERIOUS illness with my Akai GX-636 and now my GX-635 decks!!!

This example is on an older GX365. The pinch roller plunger (solenoid) mechanically switches a resistor to drop the voltage. On the 635, same principle applies, but the voltages are switched from the transformer by QT-1; no need for a resistor.
  9. aero_eng

SERIOUS illness with my Akai GX-636 and now my GX-635 decks!!!

On most Akais, the pinch roller solenoid is fed high voltage the instant the play button is pressed. The high voltage allows the solenoid to overcome the mechanical friction and inertia of the pinch roller arm. When the pinch roller is in contact with the capstan, however, the voltage being...
  10. aero_eng

Just picked up an Empire 498 - anything I should know?

It's not just the circumference, but also the thickness and the elasticity of the belt matter and affect the speed. I have ordered belts from Esoteric Sounds in the past for both my Empire 398, 498, and Rek-O-Kut N33H, and have been very pleased with the results. My 498 came with an unknown...
  11. aero_eng

AKAI GXC-740D motor not running at all,could it be the big 6uf 150w cap?

The GXC-740 is a classic servo-controlled motor. The run cap should be 6 uF, but depending on how you are measuring it, the actual amount may vary somewhat. I have seen them go bad, but not very frequently. My bet is that either you have one or more bad diodes in the rectifier bridge, or the...
  12. aero_eng

Just picked up an Empire 498 - anything I should know?

1) Do not glue the record mat. The weight of the record should hold it down fine. 2) Get a set of new grommets, a new belt, a new replacement neon bulb. If you don't need them right now, you will in the future... Esoteric is the best place for belts, the other stuff can be sourced on eBay or...
  13. aero_eng

Kenwood KD-2055 Intermittent Automatic Return

The axle on which the plastic detection arm swivels is also the axle on which the metal tab swivels (you can't see it because its underneath the chasis. On the axle they (Kenwood) smeared a very thin coat of oil which, in time, gets sticky. When that happens the metal tab will not return. For...
  14. aero_eng

Pioneer PL-L800S ... looks like it's a goner

I would think that an electrolytic capacitor or something else might be the culprit, particularly since you said it had been in storage a long time. I would recap it first, clean the pots next, THEN check for a bad IC.
  15. aero_eng

Yet another TT damaged in shipping

I've bought quite a few turntables from eBay, and I have found that the trick is to tell the seller exactly how you want it prepared and packed for shipping, step by step, BEFORE you bid. If he/she comes back with some excuse (i.e. "it is not necessary...", "that will cost you extra...", "I...
  16. aero_eng

Teac X2000R or Akai 635D (Black) Which one?

Take the Akai. I have owned/serviced both, and the DC capstan motor on the TEAC is known to become weak with use as the brushes wear out. It is also very intolerant of dust in the tape path, very prone to skew tape unless you clean it after every tape. The Akai has a very nice, more robust...
  17. aero_eng

Newbie Teac 4070 reel Question.

If you go to hifiengine.com and search the library, you can download the service manual for the 4070 for free (need to register). That should have enough information on how the parts are put together. Once you take the face off and the tension arms, it should be 4 more screws to remove the...
  18. aero_eng

Technics M235X belt replacement

I had same deck on my workbench a few years ago. I got a belt kit from turntableneedles.com. Works like a charm! Hope this helps.
  19. aero_eng

Akai GXC-760D mystery part X 2

I don't have direct experience on the 760 per se, but I did restore a 740, and those like shims being used to even out all the gaps around the front panel; I've also seen some Akai models use shims like that to adjust the gap behind the capstan flywheel (axial freeplay).
  20. aero_eng

Soundsmith cartridges - ?

I am very pleased with my SMMC-20EN and my SMMC-4. They are on the expensive side, but since there are few choices available for beogram turntables when it comes to new carts and styli, I guess I can't complain too much!
  21. aero_eng

akai gx220 d rtr? any good

The GX-220 marries the mechanical parts of the double lever transport (like the GX-4000) to a three motor system. It is not solenoid driven. Cams are used to lift/retract the pinch roller, and levers are used to release the brakes. An eccentric gear is used to effect end-of-tape shut-off by...
  22. aero_eng

Top three best consumer and prosumer reel to reels in your vision, designwise

My two cents' worth: 1) Technics RS-1500 series 2) Revox B-77/PR-99 series 3) Akai GX-635
  23. aero_eng

pinchroller removal akai gx255

Take a rubber sheet or rubber glove (to give you more traction) and turn the silver part (the medallion) counter-clockwise to unscrew. Then pull the pinch roller off its shaft, making note of any spacers or washers. Installation is the reverse, except you put a drop of oil on the shaft before...
  24. aero_eng

Goodbye Pioneer RT-909. Hello Teac X-1000R.

Just my preference, but given the three decks, I would have kept the Pioneer and sold the GX-77. The Teac and the Pioneer are real tanks; the GX-77 is a very nice deck, but not really in the same league. Again, just my preference.
  25. aero_eng

what tape decks should I keep

The ESP on the Sony, if my memory is correct, looks for a period of about 10 to 15 seconds of silence on all four tracks to indicate the end of the tape and trigger the auto reverse.
Back
Top Bottom