Search results

1. ke4jhj

Technics sl qd3

The SL-QD3 is a good little turntable. As Putterman said, it is fully automatic and quartz locked. I bought one new in 1985 and it still performs as new. I am using an Audio-Technica AT92-ECD cartridge and am quite satisfied with its performance. For $20, you can't go wrong!
  2. ke4jhj

All about 78's....Tunes, Turntables, Technology

Your Joseph Falcon/Cleoma Falcon recording was recorded in NYC on 12/22/34. The label is one Decca used during the 1940's. So you have a latter pressing. However, looking at the font of the matrix number pressed in the runout, I am pretty certain that your record is not a "dub", but pressed...
  3. ke4jhj

solution for use with AB EV1

The KAB EV1 was supplied with a 4 oz. bottle of Nitty Gritty Pure 2.
  4. ke4jhj

How many of you have 2 Turntables in your system

I have two. Technics SL-QD3 Garrard 82
  5. ke4jhj

AT2002 vs. VS215EP

The AT2002 should perform satisfactorily. It came out in the 1980's and used a .4x .7 mil stylus. The AT91E is the equivalent cartridge but has been recently discontinued. A good replacement stylus would be the ATN3472SE which is a .3 x .7 stylus and a better performer than the original...
  6. ke4jhj

Anyone used KAB EV-1 RCM?

I have had one about three years. They work great and I highly recommend them!:thmbsp:
  7. ke4jhj

Alignment tool

That alignment tool is for any Garrard table that uses the C3 cartridge carrier.
  8. ke4jhj

78's and stylus life expectancy

I have several 78 styli with about 500 hours on them with no noticeable wear problems.
  9. ke4jhj

The TCC TC-750 on batteries continues to impress.

I've been very happy with my TC-750. Especially when you consider the price!:thmbsp:
  10. ke4jhj

Chicago's Greatest Hits - How Did They Make This?

I too have Chicago's Greatest Hits which I purchased in the 70's. I also agree it is a terrible sounding album. Like other disappointing Greatest hits albums I own, I think it is due to using 3rd, 4th, 5th generation tapes instead of the original studio masters.
  11. ke4jhj

Just ordered an Audio Technica AT-92ECD cart

I am using the AT-92ECD on my Technics table and I'm very pleased with the performance!:music:
  12. ke4jhj

What speed should I play old acoustic records at?

76.59 rpm was a typical speed for Victor acoustics, but not a rule. I recently saw a website listing John McCormack's discography and it listed the recorded speed of each of his Victor recordings. Most acoustics were 76.59 rpm, but quite a few were listed as 75.00, 76.00, 77.92 and 78.26 rpm...
  13. ke4jhj

Source of distortion on a mint 78?

I would not try increasing the tracking force. The D5130EJ can track (according to Rek-o-kut, aka Esoteric Sound) from 2 to 7 grams. 3 should be OK. Distortion during loud passages on the record is more likely from wear, not being dirty, which is noticeable during quiet passages...
  14. ke4jhj

Screw on headshell weight

My guess would be that by adding the 2 gram weight, you increased the mass of the tonearm. Both the 500B and 680HP are relatively low compliance styli. The increase in mass provided by the additional weight, provides a better match between the tonearm and stylus.
  15. ke4jhj

Which turntable have you used for the longest time?

Garrard 82 received in 1973. 38 years and going strong as a daily player, mainly for 78 rpm.
  16. ke4jhj

78 Phono Preamps ?

The TC-778 is probably an OK unit, but very limited. I believe it uses a 500 Hz turnover and 0 db rolloff which would be useful for many but not all mid 30's recordings and a so-so job with acoustical recordings. I use the TC-750LC preamp running into the Rek-o-kut re-equalizer. I am very...
  17. ke4jhj

e. st louis toodleoo

I can't tell you about the place but it is a song composed and recorded by Duke Ellington in 1926.
  18. ke4jhj

stanton stylus replacement problems

I agree with Stanton, (the member not the company). The N680E stylus is a current production stylus by Stanton. Although the plastic body is different, it would fit your cartridge. However, it tracks at 2 to 5 grams. The information from Stanton (the company) that the 822-deee styli...
  19. ke4jhj

"Failed" Ikea Expedit pic?

I have a 4x4 Expedit and find it very sturdy. I have it in the basement (aka - Man cave) and use it as a wall divider. It is not bolted to a wall but I do have it chained to a floor post. The Expedit in the "failed" photo was sitting on its side, not the bottom. The long shelves must...
  20. ke4jhj

antique Brunswick player+photos

Brunswick changed hands many times. As mentioned they were they same company (Brunswick-Balke-Collander) as the manufacturer of sporting equipment from 1919-1930. In 1930, Brunswick records, phonos, etc was sold to Warner Brothers. Warner sold Brunswick to ARC (American Record Corporation)...
  21. ke4jhj

Getting into 78's

With all respect, that's like saying "Why upgrade to a $1000+ turntable? The old BSR does just fine." Yes, I also listened for years to 78's played with RIAA eq, one stylus, etc. And I thought they sounded fine....... until I crossed over to the dark side. There's no going back! :D
  22. ke4jhj

Getting into 78's

I have four different sizes of styli and in some cases, a different size stylus can provide dramatically improved playback. I believe by adding weight to your Stanton headshell, you are adding mass to the tonearm which provides a better match to the 78 stylus, which is usually a low...
  23. ke4jhj

Getting into 78's

I have several Stanton 500 cartridges that I use for 78 rpm playback and I can recommend them without reservation. Also, consider adding a 2.5 mil to your collection of styli. They work very well with later 78 rpm discs.
  24. ke4jhj

"Hagerman-Trower" phono pre, complete and in working order!

Bill, I like you idea of keeping the Bugle and its power supply in separate cases. Beautiful work. Well done!:thmbsp:
  25. ke4jhj

Kab ev-1 rcm

Another advantage of the EV-1. There have been many comments made about Nitty Grittys, VPIs and others getting very hot after marathon cleaning sessions. One advantage with the EV-1 is that since the vacuum unit is separate, the EV-1 itself doesn't get hot. And besides, if I ever burn out...
Back
Top Bottom